best HIDs?

Information and general chat about the Megane II CC.

Moderators: q292u, Ray, AndyAdmin, Stranger

hully
Currently Drives:: Renault megane convertible 2.0 vvt

best HIDs?

Postby hully » Sat Jan 03, 2015 9:35 pm

Hi,
can anyone recommend any HIDs??
if you could copy the link that would be great thank you in advance.
renault megane 11 convertible 2.0 vvt.
up and coming plans: double din, upgraded speakers HIDs, window tints and lots more :)

VroomVroomClonk
Just Passed
Currently Drives:: Megane 1.9 DCi CC 2004

Re: best HIDs?

Postby VroomVroomClonk » Sat Jan 10, 2015 9:47 am

If you are talking about a conversion to HID from normal bulbs then I wouldn't bother. I tried it on a previous car and although the lights look 'cool', they actually don't show up the road particularly well. Plus, it is illegal to fit HIDs to non-HID headlamp units.
I currently have an Espace that has genuine factory original HIDs, and my Megane uses ordinary bulbs. I've fitted the Megane with Osram Nightbreaker Unlimited bulbs, and they are much brighter than the HIDs on the Espace.

BobbyBlueBoots
Learner Driver
Currently Drives:: Megane Coupe Convertible 1.6, Hyundai Coupe 2.0

Postby BobbyBlueBoots » Sat Jan 10, 2015 4:09 pm

To get the best out of HID's you really need projector headlamps, I believe this is partly because the HID bulb filament is longer and so throws the focus off when fitted in a "normal" headlamp unit. So while brighter, the light is scattered and any advantage is lost. Projector lamp units focus the light through a lens (effectively), so you get a sharp cut on the beam and virtually no light scatter. Great in foggy conditions.
You also have to factor in the the bulb temperature, there is a tendency to go for the higher blue temp and this alters your perception of what you are seeing. Using a daytime temperature bulb (approx 5000 kelvin) is as high as I would go and even then, on some surfaces, the effect can appear worse than a quartz bulb.

Rob

steveasap
Currently Drives:: Renault Megan cc

Postby steveasap » Mon May 13, 2019 8:05 pm

Best HIDs are no HIDs.
Stop blinding other road users, have some respect and show some class...

ChrisM
Advanced Driver
Currently Drives:: Megane CC 1.9Dci and a Pugeot 307 cc 2.0 HDi sport.

Postby ChrisM » Wed May 15, 2019 10:30 pm

Wouldn't bother. Chances are you will be pulled up on not for them same with after market LESs the light patterns are wrong so they fail on the headlamp section plus with hids you are supose to have headlamp washers fitted and working if not it's a fail.
They are getting quite strict on them now. Don't waste it time and money.

Return to “Megane CC”