Toxic Fumes Warning Light

Problem with your Megane? Can't find an answer? Workshop manuals and technical notes are in here.

Moderators: q292u, Ray, AndyAdmin, Stranger

alhenderson
Learner Driver

Toxic Fumes Warning Light

Postby alhenderson » Thu Nov 24, 2005 6:50 pm

Evening All,

On the way home tonight, the toxic fumes warning light on my Megane started flashing. It continued doing so on and off during my 40 min journey and was accompanied by the engine running very rough and a distinct lack of power.

The manual is not very helpful, and suggests I go to the dealer. While I accept this will probably need to happen (and the thought of battling with them again makes me cringe!) I was wondering if anyone here knows why this might be happening all of a sudden - would be nice to go there armed with some proper information.

Also, am I safe to drive it for a couple of days, given that I'm unlikely to be able to get it in tomorrow and the dealer will probably be as busy as ever..

Any thoughts/info most welcome!

Cheers,
Al.

Ray
Site Admin
Currently Drives:: 2005 Megane Privilege - Now Sold

Postby Ray » Thu Nov 24, 2005 6:53 pm

call AA. they'll replace your coils to tow u to a dealer depending on what coils u got

Ray
Site Admin

Postby Ray » Thu Nov 24, 2005 6:54 pm

alhenderson
Learner Driver

Postby alhenderson » Thu Nov 24, 2005 7:13 pm

Given that I'm now at home, will the AA come out - and is that only a last resort? Am right in thinking I shouldn't drive it to work etc until it gets sorted?

Ray
Site Admin

Postby Ray » Thu Nov 24, 2005 7:19 pm

i'm not sure on the conditions of AA when given with new cars.

alhenderson
Learner Driver

Postby alhenderson » Thu Nov 24, 2005 7:39 pm

Cheers Ray,

I'll keep it off the road tomorrow and see what the dealers say. If they mess around, might give the AA a call.

Al.

Le Grand Crapaud
Rally Driver
Location: Overlooking graveyard. Plot booked. Pretty picture awaited from commissioned artist!

Postby Le Grand Crapaud » Thu Nov 24, 2005 9:56 pm

Running it won't help the life of the catalyst one little bit!
Anton Bufonidae hops again and again and again and again and again!

alhenderson
Learner Driver

Postby alhenderson » Fri Nov 25, 2005 10:58 am

Thanks guys. I took it to the dealer this morning and left it with them (which always makes me nervous when its booked in, never mind when I just turn up out of the blue!).

Looks like they've had another turn over of staff at Camden Northampton, the reception girls all look about 14. Then again, I did turn 30 last week so maybe its me!!

Al.

Jimbo
Just Passed

Postby Jimbo » Fri Nov 25, 2005 2:39 pm

mmm camden... nice!!! ive heard many a story from that place, now it seems with the turnover of staff it seems to be getting worse. you could try taking it to Wests of bedford next time something goes wrong. highly recommend them!!

hope you get the problem fixed soon! :)

alhenderson
Learner Driver

Postby alhenderson » Mon Nov 28, 2005 10:20 am

Thanks for all your help, chaps. Camden replaced all 4 ignition coils on Friday afternoon and all is now well. They even washed it as well, which saved me a job over the weekend!

Jimbo, thanks for your hint about the Bedford place. I work in Cranfield, not too far from Bedford, so that might actually be an option next time I need some work doing. Are they a 'proper' dealer - i.e. can they do work on the car while its under warranty? I have an 18K service coming up in a couple of months, might be the perfect opportunity..

Cheers,
Al.

navanman
Learner Driver

Postby navanman » Mon Nov 28, 2005 11:30 am

Hey all,

I'm back with more tales of woe about my megane.
Last night was at my parents place and started the car to go home and knew straight away another coil had gone. Called the AA again and they came out and replaced the 3 old coils, bank 4 had been replaced before.
2 and 3 were gone last night and AA guy replaced bank 1 as it was of the old manufacturing batch.

Jimbo
Just Passed

Postby Jimbo » Mon Nov 28, 2005 4:47 pm

alhenderson, yes they are a proper dealer. they get many ex-camden customers. they will do warranty work, ive never had a problem with the work they do. ive got my 18k service in the next few days so ill let you know how i get on. they are in a place called clapham, just up the road from oakley. they are on the main road through so not hard to miss.

alhenderson
Learner Driver

Postby alhenderson » Tue Nov 29, 2005 10:49 am

Thanks Jimbo. I'll look them up on the map and see if its feasible to get there on the way to work. Got to be worth a go - Camden are appalling. I have never seen such a bunch of unprofessional staff in all my life. They just hang around reception in groups gossiping like old women.

Al.

procjc

Postby procjc » Thu Dec 01, 2005 10:54 am

I had exactly the same problem when out of the blue my toxic fume filter system warning light came on whilst driving home late last night and the car started juddering like the spark plugs weren't all firing. The Manual is crap and suggests you reduce your speed until the light goes out - my light still flashed at 10mph!

Renault have advised me not to drive the car, that the car's misfiring (probably the ignition coil), and to call Renault Assistance (AA) who will come out and fix the car at home at no cost (covered under warranty apparently). My car is also just shy of its 18,000 mile service!

alhenderson
Learner Driver

Postby alhenderson » Thu Dec 01, 2005 11:49 am

Exactly the problem I had, although I'm nearer my 36K service. As you say, the manual is not exactly helpful - reducing speed indeed! It also didn't say how serious the situation was - if its going to cause damage to keep driving it then why doesn't the manual say so?? I wonder how many people have 'made do' in that situation and made matters worse?

Al.

Return to “Problems / Questions”