abs warning light

Problem with your Megane? Can't find an answer? Workshop manuals and technical notes are in here.

Moderators: q292u, Ray, AndyAdmin, Stranger

Phil and Liz
Advanced Driver

abs warning light

Postby Phil and Liz » Mon Oct 08, 2018 9:06 pm

recently been having a problem with ABS light coming on, once its on it stays on. Think its the N/S/F sensor as that is the hub that was changed during front suspension repairs (long story). The cable and sensoris the original one for the car as the connector is different to the loom. Think the problem is the mounting bracket that the sensor fits into, its corroded and looks like its breaking up, plus the sensor is loose when pushed in. Tried supergluing the sensor but no luck.

Today I popped into my local dealer to organise 2 tyres for the wifes clio (£104 for a pair fitted) while there I was chatting with the parts man and asked if the sensor holder only came as part of the hub. The good news is that if you buy a genuine renault front wheel bearing then the mounting clip comes with the bearing. Not sure I want to take the hub and drive shaft off to take the old bearing out and it may end up being sold as spares or repair, ABS light on.

For info, if the back clip goes its a new stub axle , scary !

Now for the interesting bit, today I set off from the local retail park and the light was off, I applied the brakes and it felt similar to the ABS actually kicking in, shortly after the light came on and the brakes returned to normal. Anyone else ever come across this ?
Phil and Liz Jackson
Lanark

joe12
Just Passed
Currently Drives:: Megane estate 1.5dci 86

Re: abs warning light

Postby joe12 » Tue Oct 09, 2018 7:25 pm

The feeling you had of the ABS kicking in will be because the sensor signals will be a bit hit and miss as the sensor is loose.

The clip that the sensor fits to comes with most replacement wheel bearings, not just dealer bearings.

The clip rots away and the sensor becomes loose and moves away from the tone wheel in the wheel bearing, you need to secure the sensor in place with bit of silicone sealant or better still PU adhesive which is like silicone but a lot stronger.

Place the sealant in the area that is flat just below the sensor.

This is a Laguna front hub, but you get the idea.

Cheers.

Phil and Liz
Advanced Driver

Postby Phil and Liz » Tue Oct 09, 2018 10:22 pm

Thanks for the tip, have some sealer kicking around the shed somewhere. Whats the brand name for pu adhesive ?
Phil and Liz Jackson

Lanark

joe12
Just Passed

Postby joe12 » Wed Oct 10, 2018 5:43 pm

Hope the link works.

https://www.toolstation.com/shop/p85566

Cheers.

Phil and Liz
Advanced Driver

Postby Phil and Liz » Wed Oct 10, 2018 8:46 pm

thanks for that, link works perfect, have a screwfix across the road from where I work will try there as its nearest.
Phil and Liz Jackson

Lanark

Phil and Liz
Advanced Driver

Postby Phil and Liz » Wed Oct 17, 2018 7:52 pm

The super glue had held the sensor in place, was checking the connector and mine looks different to the one shown on the laguna hub, mine has very fine pins same as used on the rear number plate light connections (which corrode faster than a lancia Beta bodyshell !) The laguna sensor has thick connector pins, so abs light still on.

Found a sensor in the shed that belongs to the new s/h hub I fitted last year, reason it wasnt fitted was because of the connection, the other night I cut the connector off and cut back the insulation to find 2 different coloured wires and soldered the bare wires into lucar spade connectors. First plan will be to cut the wire on the old sensor about 2 inches from the pin connector, that way if the new sensor doesnt fix the problem I can get a genuine sensor with the thin pins and connect back to the original connector. If it works leave well alone.
Phil and Liz Jackson

Lanark

joe12
Just Passed

Postby joe12 » Wed Oct 17, 2018 10:31 pm

I would still be tempted to apply something extra over the sensor, silicone or PU adhesive is flexible so will stand up to vibration better than brittle super glue.

Regarding the rear sensors and the clip/plate that holds them (mentioned earlier in the thread), best to give them a coat of waxoyl or something similar to help preserve them!.

Any connection you can rig up sounds as though it will be better than what Renault have fitted ;)

Good luck with the job, let us know how you get on.

Cheers.

Phil and Liz
Advanced Driver

Postby Phil and Liz » Fri Oct 19, 2018 9:23 pm

changed the sensor and took it for a test, within 100 yds the light was on. Guess I'll need to go beg a favour from a mate witha garage to get him to plug in his code reader and see where the error is coming from, if its a cheap fix I'll get him to do it, expensive fix and it'll be a sopares or repair ebay listing. To be honest if the fault is fixed it will be getting listed as its surplus now the wife has retired.
Phil and Liz Jackson

Lanark

Phil and Liz
Advanced Driver

Postby Phil and Liz » Sat Oct 20, 2018 9:28 pm

So this morning I took the car to my mates garage, he wasnt there but his mechanic brought out his code reader and tppk the car for a spin. Apparantley no signals from either side of the front end, either faulty sensors or faulty bearingsmagnetic tracks. Im gonna see if I can get a couple of sensors but all the ones on flea bay ive seen have the large two prong connectors and not the thin ones as mine has.

Has anyone done one of these and come across a conversion harness for the abs wiring? Or come across the sensors with fine pins ?
Phil and Liz Jackson

Lanark

joe12
Just Passed

Postby joe12 » Sat Oct 20, 2018 11:29 pm

Is the speedo still working?

The speedo gets it's signal from the front sensors, some say they come for the left only (passenger side) but I dispute that and believe they come from both, I dispute it because i drove a Laguna with no left sensor connected and the speedo still worked!

By the by...sounds like you have a wiring fault or the ABS ECU is playing up as two duff sensors is strange.

Cheers.

Phil and Liz
Advanced Driver

Postby Phil and Liz » Sun Oct 21, 2018 6:15 am

Speedo still working, I'd thought that as well that if there was no speed reading from either side where was the speedo getting its info from. Thats part of the reason I had a machine put on it as did not want to be fitting parts and still no further forward. Might be time to get rid as aspares or repair car rather than keep throwing parts and money at it.
Phil and Liz Jackson

Lanark

joe12
Just Passed

Postby joe12 » Sun Oct 21, 2018 7:01 pm

Unless you have a diagnostic machine it could be a long drawn out fix.

You could have two duff sensors but that would be a big coincidence, I would suspect dodgy wiring or the ABS ECU.

Cheers.

Phil and Liz
Advanced Driver

Postby Phil and Liz » Sun Oct 21, 2018 8:37 pm

Thanks
The code reader just highlighted the no signal info, if there was a way of cheking the connector plug so see if there is a voltage, if there should be or whther I should check for continuity on the sensor ? Yes its possible it could be an ecu problem and if so it's goodnight Vienna, to be honest she only owes me what ive spent in the last year or so as having owned her for nearly 10 years, 10p a mile depreciation would have written off the £8000 purchase cost.
Phil and Liz Jackson

Lanark

joe12
Just Passed

Postby joe12 » Sun Oct 21, 2018 9:37 pm

Have a read through the thread in the link below, it's interesting and details a way to test the ABS sensors.

https://www.renaultforums.co.uk/309-bra ... fault.html

Cheers.

Return to “Problems / Questions”