1.9 dci

Problem with your Megane? Can't find an answer? Workshop manuals and technical notes are in here.

Moderators: q292u, Ray, AndyAdmin, Stranger

nikmorris
Currently Drives:: Renault megane 1.9dci 2004

1.9 dci

Postby nikmorris » Wed May 16, 2018 9:20 am

Hi am a new member just after some advice im a old school mechanic by trade and a reno man through ive got a reno 1.9 dci 3dr 2004 and its running a bit lumpy just replaced the fuel pump ptessure switch and it goes like a rocket but still running lump and now it cuts out with a injector fault light but goes of when started this is doing my head in now any ideas so I can get my car back to the norm got a long trip planned

grandadbobby
Advanced Driver
Currently Drives:: megan dynamique estate 1.9dci

Re: 1.9 dci

Postby grandadbobby » Wed May 16, 2018 5:22 pm

Hi,
I'm an old school bloke too, but if anything is lighting up then there should be a fault code stored.
You do need a code reader nowadays to put you in the right direction.
It's a long way round the barn to keep on guessing.
If no fault code then it's fuel related like air in system or fuel filter.
ps whenyou read codes, erase them, run engine till fault then read to see what's happening now. Some codes will be old stored ones.
Good luck
Bob.

nikmorris

Postby nikmorris » Thu May 17, 2018 11:20 am

plugged it into my snap on code reader no faults found only sensor ive not replaced now is fuel rail sensor ???? so maybe that altho ive tested wires there all ok and getting no fault code only thing I get is if I thrash it she cuts out says injector fault on dash but it retsarts and dash clear and nothing on fault reader????? injectors are all ok that's why this is puzzling suppose I just replace that sensor ??? its a really nice car other wise its mint she as done 150 thousand miles but its like new

grandadbobby
Advanced Driver

Postby grandadbobby » Fri May 18, 2018 2:39 pm

Hi,
any electrical or sensor fault would give a code, also if no rail pressure, it won't start.
The lumpy tick over could have been to do with the work you did, they say to allow the pcm time to adjust.
It's the cutting out that matters, if starved of fuel l believe the dash warning knows that something is wrong but it can't be electrical.
l did have this once on a Ford and l did all stuff like you. It turned out to be a black blob in the fuel sender unit in the tank. It blocked the feed pick up and when it conked out it fell away and the car could start straight back up till it got sucked up again.
I researched this and found that it is most common on diesel boats. Since 2011 they have put biologic products in diesel fuel leading to this problem.
The warm diesel returning to the tank with maybe a bit of condensation grows it's own eco system resulting in a biological black blob.

If you were to look up '1.6 tdci fuel flow' on the ford c max forum you'll see pictures of what l found.
My car had got to the point where it stopped 10 secs after starting so in the end as a last resort l bypassed the tank and ran the engine from a 5 gallon can, and it kept on running, so l found it.
l can't say that yours is the same but it could be.
The other thing is to make sure the tank can breath because as the fuel goes down air must be able to replace it.
Good luck and be sure that when you do find whatever the problem is, please post results.
Bob.

nikmorris

Postby nikmorris » Tue May 22, 2018 2:08 pm

cHEERS FOR THE INSIGHT I have now had my fuel filter housing of which may I say is a pig of a job the filter was full of dirts and housing was dirty so new filter and a fflush out now am thinking maybe some dirt got to injectors so filling tank wiyh good diesel and putting fuel system flush in giving it a blast all week long ???? first run she blew loads os sh1t out of pipe but then ran clear now its idleing like an old dumper truck at 900 rpm but pulling very well and flies on motor way but again if I gear down to say over take as soon as I put beans on it cuts out says injector fault mmmmmm see how it goes rest of week going to put old fuel pump sensor back in run it with that see if it still cuts out /

nikmorris

Postby nikmorris » Wed May 23, 2018 1:16 pm

So second day been on motor way up to 90mph runs smooth top end just as I slow down it gets lumpy bit like a petrol car running on three cylinders shakes the whole car all over also icing on cake my dam key fob playing up now wont open drivers door so have to use passenger side lol funking cars

nikmorris

Postby nikmorris » Wed May 30, 2018 12:44 pm

So a full week in nearly full tank of super diesel and taken home by green flag once after a frash on m62 car still running like its on three cylinders lumpy through all gears now runs fine at 80mph starts every day doing good on fuel no smoke doesn't over heat oil and water are fine no cross contaminent new filters all round checked whole wiring loom our re greased battery regreased all of fuse box new sensor in diesel pump and injector rail . tested all heater plugs tested injectors flushed out fuel tank and still she runs like an old bus shaking whole car from 900 rpm to 2000rpm oh and all engine mounts are new

grandadbobby
Advanced Driver

Postby grandadbobby » Wed May 30, 2018 7:51 pm

Hi,
l presume when you say 'tested injectors' they have been tested by diesel place or have you just disconnected one at a time to find the misfire.
Could possibly be an exhaust valve and need compression test to eliminate that.
Bob.

nikmorris

Postby nikmorris » Thu May 31, 2018 9:49 am

I have had injectors out one by one and tested if you un plug while running you can bugger them the can stick open and then they weep a bit so all been out and all tested at diesel garage engine been pressure tested its all tickety booo

grandadbobby
Advanced Driver

Postby grandadbobby » Thu May 31, 2018 5:43 pm

Hi,
if it feels like it's on 3, but runs properly on 4, with stuff testing out all ok,
l can only think that the dual mass flywheel may be going.
l have heard them in other cars but not had the problem myself so don't know if they vibrate.
Maybe you could show it to a clutch place and see what they think.
Bob.

Phil and Liz
Advanced Driver

Postby Phil and Liz » Thu May 31, 2018 5:48 pm

I think bob is on the right track, to fire and run you need ignition fuel and air, diesel n it starts so you got ignition and air, keeping running under load seems to be the area so fuel remains the area. Have you thought about rigging an internal fuel tank in the car to see if it still has problems. If the problem still appears when stationary on the cars fuel tank, running an external / internal fuel tank could identify if there is still an error with a known clean fuel supply. Could also see if the injectors are coded, if not try getting a spare set from ebay or scrappers to swap, if they are coded were they marked when removing to have tested ?
Phil and Liz Jackson
Lanark

Phil and Liz
Advanced Driver

Postby Phil and Liz » Thu May 31, 2018 9:39 pm

dual mass flywheel, havent heard of problems running, more setting off etc. Only thing i remember is it makes the clutch job more expensive
Phil and Liz Jackson

Lanark

nikmorris

Postby nikmorris » Fri Jun 01, 2018 12:56 pm

BOOOOOOOM job done thanks guys for all tips I found it just by chance ...... tracinhg my fuel lines from tank to pump I found one pipe trapped behind top engine mount ???? here is the fun bit the top bolt holding engine in place was snapped but still holding just causing a very slight tilt in the engine just enuff to trap pipe during it ticking over but when in motion it free it only when I gace it hammer and engine flexed it cut out..... this is one strange find any I replaced bolt and mounting braket 15 pound fropm scrap yard and bit of new pipe job done car now like a dream xxxxxxxxx love it 152000 miles and still she motors on thanks again guys nik

nikmorris

Postby nikmorris » Fri Jun 01, 2018 12:59 pm

oh by the way I had fly wheel done last year and a good clutch kit put in ........... France here I come now ... holiday

Phil and Liz
Advanced Driver

Postby Phil and Liz » Fri Jun 01, 2018 1:09 pm

Well done !
Phil and Liz Jackson

Lanark

Return to “Problems / Questions”