make your diesel meg run better

Information and general chat about the Megane II CC.

Moderators: q292u, Ray, AndyAdmin, Stranger

ChrisM
Advanced Driver
Currently Drives:: Megane CC 1.9Dci and a Pugeot 307 cc 2.0 HDi sport.

make your diesel meg run better

Postby ChrisM » Sun Nov 13, 2016 11:21 pm

Want your diesel meg to run smoother, quicker, quieter and more economical?
2 stroke oil.
A glug every in your fuel tank every tank ful of diesel works better than any fuel additive I have ever used.
How? Well apparently it makes your combustion cycle hotter and more efficient and also cleans turbo vanes, the reason it seems dryer diesel now with low sulphur. £3 bottle of 2 stroke oil and I am on my 3rd fuel up with quater left in bottle.
Try it, you might like it.

ChrisM
Advanced Driver

Re: make your diesel meg run better

Postby ChrisM » Mon Nov 14, 2016 9:02 pm

Apparently if you mix nail varnish remover (accitate) in with your 2 stroke it goes even better....... wow this is a different world but can't say I am brave enough to try that.
But have been told heating oil is wicked but a big no no as it has plastic molecules in to help boilers burn hotter which is good for your boiler but not for your valves n pistons....
Like I said different world.
I wonder then if the 2 stroke chemically changes my diesel does that make meg chemically enhanced i.e a steroid monster!!!!
:devil

AlexB
Driving Legend
Currently Drives:: Renaultsport R.S.250 Cup

Postby AlexB » Wed Nov 16, 2016 11:24 pm

Just use Shell regular - it's clean burning, high density, plus excellent Shell additives. If not Shell, then any cetane improver additive may help a little. Adding a small amount of 2 stroke oil to the fuel helps a bit, but not suitable for FAP. Millers EE engine oil reduces friction in the engine due to nanotechnology (their racing ester nanotechnology oils are also excellent, but not long life). TRANSELF NFP 75W-80 in the gearbox reduces the transmission losses due to also nanotechnology.
AlexB
(no, a different AlexB)

ChrisM
Advanced Driver

Postby ChrisM » Thu Nov 17, 2016 12:13 am

I do use shell regular....
But also the glug of 2 stroke makes it run 100% better than just the shell alone its has better pick up, it has better fuel economy, definitely quicker all in all she has low down grunt not much but noticeably more than this old 8 valve french tractor engine had before it no longer give you that I shake myself to bits with judder due to too higher gear with to low revs and even less turbo lag it still had some from the remap as you can't map out all the lag from this 8 valver (thanks renault for such a useless engine) but the addative has made this lag even smaller. So for me all the indepth science to one side works in my meg for me a result!
The only way to ditch this wonderful turbo lag is to change your turbo for an aftermarket constantly spining turbo and remap again, would you want to do that to a cc with it's top heavy handling, zero feedback steering and neautral gearchange....... NO!
Its a cruiser not a race horse. So if I want mpg, comfort and long distance it's meg. For fun, lanes and b roads its the wifes pug 307cc and boy does that shift.
The sad thing is renauy didn't have either the foresight or guts to drop a 16valve diesel in the mk3 I believe the 1.9s are STILL 8 valve...shame.

Shogun
Currently Drives:: 2005 Megane Privilege Convertible 1.9 DCI

Postby Shogun » Thu Nov 17, 2016 5:12 pm

I use BP Momentum Diesel, more MPG and smoother running as it lubricates the pump, tried a few other brands but in my opinion it works well, but everyone to their own preference :D

robbie1003
Learner Driver

Postby robbie1003 » Tue Jan 17, 2017 9:42 pm

ChrisM wrote:I do use shell regular....
But also the glug of 2 stroke makes it run 100% better than just the shell alone its has better pick up, it has better fuel economy, definitely quicker all in all she has low down grunt not much but noticeably more than this old 8 valve french tractor engine had before it no longer give you that I shake myself to bits with judder due to too higher gear with to low revs and even less turbo lag it still had some from the remap as you can't map out all the lag from this 8 valver (thanks renault for such a useless engine) but the addative has made this lag even smaller. So for me all the indepth science to one side works in my meg for me a result!
The only way to ditch this wonderful turbo lag is to change your turbo for an aftermarket constantly spining turbo and remap again, would you want to do that to a cc with it's top heavy handling, zero feedback steering and neautral gearchange....... NO!
Its a cruiser not a race horse. So if I want mpg, comfort and long distance it's meg. For fun, lanes and b roads its the wifes pug 307cc and boy does that shift.
The sad thing is renauy didn't have either the foresight or guts to drop a 16valve diesel in the mk3 I believe the 1.9s are STILL 8 valve...shame.

hardly a tractor or useless engine,dont forget 16 valves doesnt give better bottom end grunt but like its 16valve petrol brother only high revolution flow which isnt exactly why we own these diesel things. i cant complain at mpg or power bearing in mind i also run a x type diesel which has far more grunt but with less overall mpg, even at motorway speed. you cant get a turbo that constantly spins to give boost as its not as super charger so im not sure what you compare it to , even variable vein dont give low rpm boost because without rpm you cant get any boost.

ChrisM
Advanced Driver

Postby ChrisM » Mon Jan 23, 2017 8:39 pm

I compare it to a Peugeot 307 2.0 hdi which has lots of bottom end grunt and a quite decent top end push as well on a stock ecu.
If you read old posts concerning the 1.9 DCI most complane of flat bottom end and lack of grunt until you spun it up one of the more used quotes was "its a 120bhp unit but where did it go as its not at the wheels" which is perfectly correct Volvo used the same engine and it performs a lot better for them. .why?
Even the Renault lads agree its a tractor and that the 2.0dci is a much better engine as the 16 vales makes it more versatile and breath better it also comes down to simple economics would a car manufacturer put a more expensive, heaver unit in there car when there is no real reason to as an 8 valve will do the same job.
I drove a 2.0dci meg a lot more versatile than my 1.9 wonder why?

AndyAitch
Currently Drives:: Megane II CC Dynamique 1.5DCi

Postby AndyAitch » Fri Apr 13, 2018 11:18 am

Sorry, I'm a newbie and I'm catching up on all the stuff I need to know about these cars. I have a CC 1.5DCi and I love it lots but a little more grunt would be good...
Could someone quantify what a 'Glug' is? If I buy a litre bottle, is a 'Glug' 250ml? I can get a litre for 4 euros at my local garage but I don't want to start hoying it into my tank in random quantities and breaking the possible new love of my life :-)

Return to “Megane CC”