Air condition leak issues

Problem with your Megane? Can't find an answer? Workshop manuals and technical notes are in here.

Moderators: q292u, Ray, AndyAdmin, Stranger

birghi
Currently Drives:: Renault Megane 1.5 dci 3doors

Air condition leak issues

Postby birghi » Mon Jul 03, 2017 1:19 pm

Hi All,

I have a mk2 1.5 dci megane from 2003 with leaking AC system.
Been to Mr clutch got a refill done there for £32 last week Tuesday. Was all working nice and fine.
Sat morning jumped into car no AC again. compressor not turning therefore pressure sensor cuts power, etc.

What baffles me is that they topped up the system despite advising that their equipment extracted 0grams of stuff (cooling liquid) from my system and 3 grams of oil. They recommended that there is a leak but their equipment didn't detect it and therefore they went ahead with refilling the system.

As a matter of precaution they added dye liquid which under UV lights will show where the system leaks. They will charge me anything between £35 and £75 to detect where is the leak coming from... ain't paying that.

I got myself an UV torch and one of these nights will look for the leak. Could you please advise from previous experience where about should I concentrate looking? Will be a case of tighting the nuts around the AC pipes? changing the o - rings around the AC? Is there a possibility that the compressor leaks gas internally?

Looking forward to your ideas and comments.
Regards,

Alex

snapdragon

Re: Air condition leak issues

Postby snapdragon » Tue Jul 04, 2017 12:10 pm

OK get a UV torch.
When the engine is cold, is there any pressure when you press the schrader valve with a screwdriver?
The trouble with a leak test is they just pull a vacuum which sucks the seals in, maybe they only leak under pressure?
Also a vacuum is only equivalent to 15PSI compared to atmosphere and the positive pressures are much higher.
Getting it pressured up with nitrogen and then spraying the outside opf the system with a killaspray of soapy water would be the best bet.

ABliss
Passed Theory
Currently Drives:: 2004 Megane MKII 1.5DCi (80)

Postby ABliss » Thu Aug 24, 2017 9:33 am

snapdragon wrote:OK get a UV torch.
When the engine is cold, is there any pressure when you press the schrader valve with a screwdriver?
The trouble with a leak test is they just pull a vacuum which sucks the seals in, maybe they only leak under pressure?
Also a vacuum is only equivalent to 15PSI compared to atmosphere and the positive pressures are much higher.
Getting it pressured up with nitrogen and then spraying the outside opf the system with a killaspray of soapy water would be the best bet.

This is a good answer.

Buy a uv torch from eBay (couple of quid) and start anywhere you like and follow pipes to where it joins to other connectors. I would start at compressor and work from there.

Phil and Liz
Advanced Driver

Postby Phil and Liz » Thu Aug 24, 2017 7:49 pm

dont forget condensor radiator
Phil and Liz Jackson
Lanark

Return to “Problems / Questions”