Bloody bulbs again.. The diamond of doom strikes yet again..

Problem with your Megane? Can't find an answer? Workshop manuals and technical notes are in here.

Moderators: q292u, Ray, AndyAdmin, Stranger

q292u
Global moderator
Currently Drives:: 2003 Clio. The Megane died.
2001 Audi A2 1.4 SE

Bloody bulbs again.. The diamond of doom strikes yet again..

Postby q292u » Wed Mar 15, 2017 9:48 am

A few hours after the "weird locking behaviour" incident, I (nervously) fired up the Megane again. Headlights were on.
I got about a metre down the drive (backwards) when the bloody dipped beam went off on the driver's side.

What's REALLY annoying is that this was replaced the week before as part of the MOT.
I can't afford another £15 trip to Halfords to get the PFY to fit a new one.. last time, he cut his finger on something sharp in there..

£15 for a bloody bulb. FFS.

What is wrong with this bloody car? Does it somehow know that I have a tenner on Marine Le Pen to win the French Presidential election or something? ** update: £20.. and the odds went up..

grandadbobby
Advanced Driver
Currently Drives:: megan dynamique estate 1.9dci

Re: Bloody bulbs again.. The diamond of doom strikes yet again..

Postby grandadbobby » Wed Mar 15, 2017 12:12 pm

Gone are the days of simply changing a bulb. You're lucky you can afford Halfords, the rest of us have bruised and cut hands and full swear boxes.
Last MOT, mine failed on bulbs alignment, no idea why as it hasn't had a bump. l think they've thought of something new to moan about, like when a few years ago, they altered the dipped to come higher so when it's wet, we all get blinded.
My daughter-in-law has a vw caddy and when l changed a rear brake bulb that was a nightmare too. So they're making the back ones hard now too.
Bob.

q292u
Global moderator
2001 Audi A2 1.4 SE

Postby q292u » Wed Mar 15, 2017 12:15 pm

grandadbobby wrote:Gone are the days of simply changing a bulb. You're lucky you can afford Halfords, the rest of us have bruised and cut hands and full swear boxes.
Last MOT, mine failed on bulbs alignment, no idea why as it hasn't had a bump. l think they've thought of something new to moan about, like when a few years ago, they altered the dipped to come higher so when it's wet, we all get blinded.
My daughter-in-law has a vw caddy and when l changed a rear brake bulb that was a nightmare too. So they're making the back ones hard now too.
Bob.

The problem is I CANNOT afford Halfords any more..

q292u
Global moderator
2001 Audi A2 1.4 SE

Postby q292u » Wed Mar 15, 2017 12:19 pm

Actually, it could be worse.. Halfords actually refuse to fit bulbs to certain cars: Alfa Romeo 147 for instance..

q292u
Global moderator
2001 Audi A2 1.4 SE

Postby q292u » Wed Mar 15, 2017 2:15 pm

grandadbobby wrote:Gone are the days of simply changing a bulb. You're lucky you can afford Halfords, the rest of us have bruised and cut hands and full swear boxes.
Bob.

I changed a back one on the Megane the first week I had it. You have to remove the cluster.. I managed to break a plastic tab off the back without even trying.

q292u
Global moderator
2001 Audi A2 1.4 SE

Postby q292u » Mon Mar 20, 2017 11:00 am

Ok. I admit it. I got the pfy from Halfords to fit the new bulb. Again.
It involved 15 minutes of him sitting on the ground in the car park, grumbling and complaining, and was probably worth the money. (£8 installation cost). Also, I still have all the skin on my knuckles.
The Bulb, at £10 was NOT worth the money. I can get the bulb for about £2 anywhere else, but they don't fit them. Damn.

ABliss
Passed Theory
Currently Drives:: 2004 Megane MKII 1.5DCi (80)

Postby ABliss » Thu Mar 30, 2017 8:56 pm

Quite possible that grease and dirt is getting onto the bulb (could be from your fingers) making them blow.

I've nailed the changing of my megane bulb. On the right hand side, you can fit the bulb through the top (taking off the cover) and use your other hand to guide it in.

craigyt
Just Passed

Postby craigyt » Thu Mar 30, 2017 9:15 pm

You can change both sides from above! Iv done it have a dozen times in 2 weeks finding the bulbs i like the look of and making sure theyre fitted into the headlight correctly!

Drivers side just remove the washer filler neck and you can get in. And on the passenger side, remove the cold air feed to the airbox and its even easier than the drivers side!

Just make sure you only touch the plug end of the bulb otherwise the bulbs wont last long at all

q292u
Global moderator
2001 Audi A2 1.4 SE

Postby q292u » Thu Mar 30, 2017 9:18 pm

This is on a Megane II, 2005 petrol?

craigyt
Just Passed

Postby craigyt » Fri Mar 31, 2017 11:10 am

Wont matter if its petrol or diesel, ancilleries are all in the same place.

Return to “Problems / Questions”