Squeeky front brakes

Problem with your Megane? Can't find an answer? Workshop manuals and technical notes are in here.

Moderators: q292u, Ray, AndyAdmin, Stranger

Chris1bev

Squeeky front brakes

Postby Chris1bev » Fri Apr 01, 2016 7:18 am

Morning guys

Apologies if this has been brought up but I have looked and can't find anything.
Pretty much within 5 minutes of driving I get the squeeking sound when I brake, I've checked the pads and they have loads of life left in them. Im sure the noise is coming from the front nearside but could be wrong, anyone got any suggestions? I have removed and given them a quick wipe over/inspection but still squeeking. Its a constant squeeling like metal on metal.

Husky_Dog
Learner Driver

Re: Squeeky front brakes

Postby Husky_Dog » Fri Apr 01, 2016 12:02 pm

Have you removed the pads from the callipers and applied anti-seize compound (copper grease) to the back of the pads where they touch the piston and the lugs of the pads?

Not too much grease mind, but enough to build up a dissimilar metal contact between the components.

NO GREASE on the pad and disc faces of course!! :-)

How many miles have your pads and discs done? I only ask as I have never managed to wear a set of genuine pads out on my 1.9 DCi - the discs always wear to minimum thickness and I have had to change pads and discs together. On my 3rd set now!!

Let us know what you find...
2005 Scenic 1.9Dci 120 Exception

Chris1bev

Postby Chris1bev » Fri Apr 01, 2016 2:22 pm

Hi thanks for your reply chap, I have removed the pads from the calipers just to check but I haven't applied any copper grease, I will do this today and see if it helps.

I have heard that it could be the bearings as well, I'm far from mechanically minded but how would I check this, or are they pulling my leg?? Lol

Husky_Dog
Learner Driver

Postby Husky_Dog » Fri Apr 01, 2016 2:36 pm

Hello again,

Anything is possible, but usually wheel bearings cause a rumbling when motoring at speed when they begin to fail. The nature of the wheel bearing means there are no user serviceable parts to maintain - if it shot, its a case of pressing the bearing out of the stub-axle carrier and something I would only look to as a last resort.

You can perform a basic test of the front wheel bearing by jacking the wheel, selecting neutral and spinning the wheel. Simple as that really.

There is an intresting thread to read here about the application of anti-seize compound viewtopic.php?f=2&t=15078

I am of the old school where I like to assemble brakes and apply a thin film of copper grease of contacting components. My own Scenic I have had from brand new back in 2005, and I recall the rear brakes giving me a head ache until the pads were treated - this is mainly due to the nature of the rear calipers having a screw out piston to stop the pads driving the piston back.

Chris1bev

Postby Chris1bev » Fri Apr 01, 2016 3:36 pm

Thats why I thought it was odd when I was told it could be the bearings.......never heard of a squeeling noise from the bearings before but I'm sure someone will prove me wrong lol

Ok so I've applied the copper grease to the back of the pads and unfortunately the noise is still haunting me, there is about an mm of rust round the outer rim of the disc, how would I tell if the discs have had it?

Thanks for your time, much appreciated!

Husky_Dog
Learner Driver

Postby Husky_Dog » Fri Apr 01, 2016 4:14 pm

To measure the disc thickness you will need a micrometer or venire callipers. I cant remember the exact figures for the minimum thickness of the disc, but around 21.5 mm and your disc is considered worn out and should be replaced. Basically the pads wear into the disc surface and cause and under cut. I think the new discs are something like 28 mm in thickness. If you need I can look the figures up when I get home.

The pads are considered worn out something like 10mm total thickness. I have always fround with Renault pads on this model the pads are SO hard they wear the discs quicker than themselves.

If you have and grooves or disc run out this will not help your situation at all.

The rust on the outer of the disc should be removed as this can build up and starts to flake off and can get caught up behind the pad and cause a groove to be formed.

It sounds very much like you might have an imbalance in the wear between inner and outer face on the disc. This can happen if the calliper is not well lubricated and free floating. It tends to cause the inboard face of the disc to wear much faster than the our face due to the way the piston reacts against the pads. Basically the outer face of the disc will look good, but when you run your finger on the rear face there will be a lip formed. This tends to cause the brake pad to bind when the wheel rotates and will cause you friction when driving - plus an annoying squeal.

How many miles have the discs and pads done? I am quite a light breaking person and I only manage to get 40K - 45K Miles out of a set of front pads and discs. I am a diesel though.

Hope this info help?

Let me know if you need exact figures for the discs / pads as I have this jotted down at home.

Chris1bev

Postby Chris1bev » Fri Apr 01, 2016 4:24 pm

Yes the rust on the discs are on a big lip.....something tells me new discs may be in order. If you could pass on the measurements I'd be greatly thankfull, would these measurements be in the haynes manual, I have the manual so will take a look.
The discs have never been changed in the 2 years i've owned it and judging by the rusty lip wasn't changed before that either. As for the pads, they were put in during a service around 6-8 months ago but will definately measure all just to be sure.

Husky_Dog
Learner Driver

Postby Husky_Dog » Fri Apr 01, 2016 4:31 pm

Yes, the measurement for new and worn up pads and discs are all listed in Haynes. That was where I looked them up originally.

Sounds like you're on the right path.

From my experience, pad and discs usually go together for the best result on this model - It will be like a brand new car when you have replaced these together :-)

Chris1bev

Postby Chris1bev » Fri Apr 01, 2016 4:44 pm

Thanks very much for your time fella, its really appreciated, will let you know how it goes ;-)

Chris1bev

Postby Chris1bev » Sat May 21, 2016 12:58 pm

RIGHT!!! I'm starting to lose the will to live now, i've put on new discs and new pads and yet the metalic whining, sqeeling, rubbing noise is still there lol
It literally only happens when the brake pedal is pressed.....what else could it possibly be??

Return to “Problems / Questions”