Megane 2 (1.4) still won't start... :(

Problem with your Megane? Can't find an answer? Workshop manuals and technical notes are in here.

Moderators: q292u, Ray, AndyAdmin, Stranger

firewalk
Currently Drives:: 2002 Renault Megane 1.4

Megane 2 (1.4) still won't start... :(

Postby firewalk » Sun May 10, 2015 11:40 am

My 2003 megane 2 (1.4 16v) still won't start. When pressing the start button the starter turns over but there is no fuel or spark. I get the message "Check injection". Then when it shuts down I get "steering not locked".
The RPM gauge sits at 0 all the time. It's supposed to move up to about 400-500 rpm while cranking, but it just sits at 0 even though the engine is cranking. I guess that could be because it get it's reading from the ignition and not the crank sensor?

I suspekted the crank sensor was at fault so I replaced that. But still the same thing.. Connected a scanner and there is no fault codes. All sensors seem to wok OK reading out the live data. There just isn't any spark or fuel...

The steering is not locking when I turn off the car and remove the key. But if there was a problem with the steering, would the car even attempt to start? wouldn't I just get a message saying steering not locked? The starter is turning over when I press start. It cranks for a few seconds and then I get the "check injection" message.

Could it be the fuse box in the engine compartment? There is a circuit board in there. Can I replace the fuse box wiht a second hand one? Or is that board somehow coded to the car so that I would need a new one ?
Or is it a the steering lock? Is there any way to figure out which it is? :(

fredcamp2
Learner Driver

Re: Megane 2 (1.4) still won't start... :(

Postby fredcamp2 » Mon May 11, 2015 10:46 pm

On the engine bay fusebox. Check fuse marked f5d electronic steering lock & fuel injection computer 5 amp fuse. Also check fuse marked f5a electronic steering lock 15 amp fuse. The fusebox on these is plug &play (no coding) Hth Regards fredcamp2

firewalk

Postby firewalk » Tue May 12, 2015 2:05 pm

Thanks for your reply.

I've checked all the fuses. Even took out the entire fuse box and checked the fuses underneath the box itself. All the fuses tested OK. I suspected something with the steering locking mechanism. Found out that the bolt holding it in place had become loose and fallen out, so I put it back in and now the steering is locking and working as it should. The engine will still not start though. 95% of the time the rpm gauge just sits at 0 while it's cranking. But in rare instances it will actually move up to about 450 rpm or so when cranking. Still, there is no life in the engine even when the needle moves.

I don't know what else to check.. Should I replace the fuse box? I see I can get a used one for a reasonable prize on ebay. Could it be something else?

welbeck
Currently Drives:: Renault Megane 1.9dci

Postby welbeck » Mon May 18, 2015 9:19 pm

Buy me a pint and I'll tell you how I solved a similar problem with my 1.9dci.
OK you can owe me, My car started cutting out and was getting "check injection" it got worse and worse until it cut out or wouldn't start every time I used it. When I connected it to a OBD reader there was nothing, my pet mechanic gave up with it and wouldn't even answer my calls. In the end I figured it must be the ECU, I had a look on eBay and I could get one for £30 so I tried to remove mine to check the serial numbers, I disconnected the 3 leads that went into it and removed 2 nuts but I couldn't get it out so I sprayed WD-40 into the ends of the leads and put the nut back on and Bingo I'd sorted it. That was 9 months ago and it's never had this problem again.

firewalk

Postby firewalk » Tue May 19, 2015 4:38 pm

welbeck wrote:Buy me a pint and I'll tell you how I solved a similar problem with my 1.9dci.
OK you can owe me, My car started cutting out and was getting "check injection" it got worse and worse until it cut out or wouldn't start every time I used it. When I connected it to a OBD reader there was nothing, my pet mechanic gave up with it and wouldn't even answer my calls. In the end I figured it must be the ECU, I had a look on eBay and I could get one for £30 so I tried to remove mine to check the serial numbers, I disconnected the 3 leads that went into it and removed 2 nuts but I couldn't get it out so I sprayed WD-40 into the ends of the leads and put the nut back on and Bingo I'd sorted it. That was 9 months ago and it's never had this problem again.

Thanks! I'm going to try that. At this point I'll try anything! :)

fredcamp2
Learner Driver

Postby fredcamp2 » Tue May 19, 2015 10:38 pm

Your megane would need to be checked out at ecu pin no's. 2d4 key off 12v's. 1g1key on 12's. 2m2 key on 12v's. 3d1 key on 12v's. Can you check & post back Regards fredcamp2

firewalk

Postby firewalk » Wed May 20, 2015 3:01 pm

fredcamp2 wrote:Your megane would need to be checked out at ecu pin no's. 2d4 key off 12v's. 1g1key on 12's. 2m2 key on 12v's. 3d1 key on 12v's. Can you check & post back Regards fredcamp2

Thanks for your reply! can you elaborate? Checked out how exactly ? Check for corrotion or perform some kind of messurement with a multimeter?

Return to “Problems / Questions”