Which Magazine slates Megane 2 reliability

Any questions you may have before you buy or receive your car can go in here!!

Moderators: q292u, Ray, AndyAdmin, Stranger

taffyhl
Advanced Driver
Currently Drives:: 2004 Megane II 1.9 dynaique

Which Magazine slates Megane 2 reliability

Postby taffyhl » Mon Aug 04, 2014 11:42 am

Thinking of buying a Megane 2? Which Magazine just rated it the worst medium sized used car with 20% breaking down last year!:

"This generation of Mégane has the dubious honour of scoring the lowest of any car this year for customer satisfaction: just 49% in our latest survey. That's largely because it's been so poor in terms of reliability (one star our of five). One in five cars broke down last year, and the list of faults is huge. Electric problems are a particular issue: for instance, nearly half of owners (43%) had problems with the electric windows, and other frequently-reported issues include the air conditioning, lights, springs, rainwater seals and dahsboard display."

Having owned a Megane for the last 18 months I'm not surprised. This has been the most troublesome car I've owned in 25 years of driving and the first of my cars to have ever failed an MOT (and with a sheet full of faults and advisories!). Still, I do enjoy driving it and think it looks much better than most hatches it's age...

morganjake1544
Advanced Driver
Currently Drives:: Clio 1.5dCi 88 Dynamique Tom Tom 3 door in Oyster Grey Metallic

Re: Which Magazine slates Megane 2 reliability

Postby morganjake1544 » Mon Aug 04, 2014 4:39 pm

On the other hand...........

I had mine from new until it was seven and a half years old (with 45k on the clock) and apart from servicing the only thing I had to spend money on was one electric window module (£30).

Best (and most trouble-free) car I've ever owned including Audi and BMW company cars.

:)

Maybe just dumb luck.
Clio 1.5 dCi 88 Dynamique Tom Tom in Oyster Grey + Twingo GT in Pearl Black on a '58'.

Meganeccdarren
Pass Plus
Currently Drives:: Megane cc

Postby Meganeccdarren » Mon Aug 04, 2014 4:39 pm

It don't look good from that reading and yes we are one of those customers who had electric window faults ( mainly due to the poor design of the regulator)

I suppose it's the luck of the draw with reliability and I know from other marques that there are issues right across the industry

My last insignia had £13,000 of warranty work in less than 1 year, new engine, turbo, 5 electrical re programmes new power steering pump, the list goes on, oh and then there was the 5 AA road side recoveries and numerous other visits to the main dealers.. In the end it had to go....... And did !!!!

I think what ever the hand of god shadows either works or don't !!!!!

taffyhl
Advanced Driver
Currently Drives:: 2004 Megane II 1.9 dynaique

Postby taffyhl » Tue Aug 05, 2014 10:47 am

Fair point. The same survey did show that many German cars become unreliable once the initial 3 year warranty has expired - VW's and Porsche for example. Everyone thinks Audi's, VW's etc are amazing but actually are only of average reliability and expensive when they go wrong. My cousins VW Transporter has been a nightmare but others last forever.

Perhaps I've been spoilt with trouble free cars in the past. I had a Sierra which lasted for 12 years without any significant fault and only sold it when it reached 186k as my dad was selling his 3 year old Primera cheap. The Primera lasted me until 194k miles before I gave it to my brother and bought the Megane. Primera now passed 200k and only just needed the original clutch replaced. Otherwise nothing has actually gone wrong.

Meganeccdarren
Pass Plus
Currently Drives:: Megane cc

Postby Meganeccdarren » Tue Aug 05, 2014 8:40 pm

Yeah long live the vw transporter. I'm bias though lol..

joeishmather
F1 Driver
Currently Drives:: 57 megane with roof, engine, wheels, doors... All the usual things.

Postby joeishmather » Wed Aug 06, 2014 6:35 am

taffyhl wrote:Thinking of buying a Megane 2? Which Magazine just rated it the worst medium sized used car with 20% breaking down last year!:

"This generation of Mégane has the dubious honour of scoring the lowest of any car this year for customer satisfaction: just 49% in our latest survey. That's largely because it's been so poor in terms of reliability (one star our of five). One in five cars broke down last year, and the list of faults is huge. Electric problems are a particular issue: for instance, nearly half of owners (43%) had problems with the electric windows, and other frequently-reported issues include the air conditioning, lights, springs, rainwater seals and dahsboard display."

Having owned a Megane for the last 18 months I'm not surprised. This has been the most troublesome car I've owned in 25 years of driving and the first of my cars to have ever failed an MOT (and with a sheet full of faults and advisories!). Still, I do enjoy driving it and think it looks much better than most hatches it's age...

Buy mine :-)
I've not actually put it up for sale yet tho.
Only issues I've had were water in the foot Wells, which has been sorted and part of the loom to the air con burning out, which has been replaced with better wiring so it won't happen again :-)

Apart from that it's been plain sailing just the usual servicing.
It's a 57 plate just coming upto 70,000 and I've had it from about 13,000. Oh and if you were interested in buying it its had the belts and water pump changed already :-)

Return to “Pre Ownership Questions”