ghost in the machine...

Problem with your Megane? Can't find an answer? Workshop manuals and technical notes are in here.

Moderators: q292u, Ray, AndyAdmin, Stranger

Phil and Liz
Advanced Driver

ghost in the machine...

Postby Phil and Liz » Wed Dec 18, 2013 9:12 pm

I know it's the season of goodwill and you used to get ghost stories on BBC2, the signalman was the best...
enough of nostalgia, tonight i went out in my wife's 08 dynamique, the rain was coming down sideways with a gale behind it - stay with me this is relevant. I got back from my collection of a parcel and parked it next to my 12 plate, at the time i thought must go move that later or she'll hit it when she's parking hers. half an hour ago I went and moved mine and went to hers to get a parcel out of the boot, was not actually in the car, 5 mins later and my wife tells me to go and look at the car, the alarm was going off, went out to the car opened it up and the passenger window was 75% open, passenger seat soaking wet and back seat as well, closed the window and locked the car, for the last 15mins no sign of the alarm going off. Must check later.

Now, had the window been open during my drive I think I would have noticed the rain and the howling gale, I certainly did not intentionally open the window, her's is the type that if you open them (if they will open) you're never sure if they will close again, therefore on a wet windy night that is the last thing you'd do. I don't think I have the option of self closing windows, never locked the cars with the windows down to try it.

So do I have a ghost in my Megane ? (if so it's likely the ghost of my German Shepherd, she always road in the passenger side with the window down, many a cyclist and pedestrian got a surprise!) or is this another example of french electrics playing up ????????????
Phil and Liz Jackson
Lanark

Paddy
F1 Driver
Currently Drives:: Megane Saloon 2.0 VVT Dynamique

Re: ghost in the machine...

Postby Paddy » Thu Dec 19, 2013 12:08 am

Interesting story...

I'm not sure of a reason.

However, your motor will have self closing windows.

Windows open and two presses of the card lock button, the windows will close and the car will lock..

If that infor is of any use to you.?

morganjake1544
Advanced Driver
Currently Drives:: Clio 1.5dCi 88 Dynamique Tom Tom 3 door in Oyster Grey Metallic

Postby morganjake1544 » Thu Dec 19, 2013 4:20 pm

Windows dropping by themselves is the result of a faulty window regulator module. Three of mine went within the warranty period but the last one went after seven and a half years so I sorted it myself. Here's a copy of my post from the time.

Then I remembered a post about a man who repairs them, so I found him on Ebay and thought I'd risk the £30 to have the module repaired. Got the thing out of the door (after initially discovering I didn't have a Torx size 8 screwdriver) and posted it off. It was back within 48 hours and back on it went. It works perfectly (still with autoclosure) and has a 12 month g'tee. Happy days.
Total cost £35. (£30 repair + £1 Torx 8 screwdriver + £4 postage)
Highly recommend the service.
Here is the link in case it's of use to anyone else
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/RENAULT-MEGAN ... 3a80eaa30f

Hope that's of use.
:)
Clio 1.5 dCi 88 Dynamique Tom Tom in Oyster Grey + Twingo GT in Pearl Black on a '58'.

Phil and Liz
Advanced Driver

Postby Phil and Liz » Thu Dec 19, 2013 7:01 pm

thanks for that was sort of thinking it was gonna be something in the leccy windows themselves, gonna need to wait till weather gets warmer, too cold to do it outside, just have to keep an eye on it.
Phil and Liz Jackson

Lanark

DanDCI
Currently Drives:: 2006 Megane 1.5 DCi

Postby DanDCI » Sun Dec 22, 2013 2:47 pm

If you replace with ebay parts usually the double lock windows up feature wont be included. This isnt an issue for me, in fact its better because then I can leave a crack open for the dog :)

morganjake1544
Advanced Driver
Currently Drives:: Clio 1.5dCi 88 Dynamique Tom Tom 3 door in Oyster Grey Metallic

Postby morganjake1544 » Fri Dec 27, 2013 12:50 pm

Good point DanDCI. Don't be tempted by a 'replacement module' as you may well lose auto closure or one click closure. It's much better to send your actual module to be repaired as you get your own module back, with all of its features.

:)
Clio 1.5 dCi 88 Dynamique Tom Tom in Oyster Grey + Twingo GT in Pearl Black on a '58'.

Return to “Problems / Questions”