Engine Seized?

Problem with your Megane? Can't find an answer? Workshop manuals and technical notes are in here.

Moderators: q292u, Ray, AndyAdmin, Stranger

elniniol999
Currently Drives:: 2008 Megane 1.5dCi Tech Run

Engine Seized?

Postby elniniol999 » Fri Sep 07, 2012 9:11 pm

I have a 1.5 dci tech run which ive had for about 6 months. Has 32k on it.

Last week i noticed a small rattle when i first started it which disappeared as I moved off. This grew slowly so i booked it in for a service. I noticed a smokey smell as i parked up one day later in the week.

Was driving it at the weekend and there was an unhealthy rattle noise coming from the engine bay - i stopped for diesel and then it just wouldnt start. i pressed the start button and the engine tried to turn over once then everything stopped. no power! the fusable link on the battery blew. i got it towed to a garage who have told me they have replaced the starter motor and it looked like something was shorting out, however they have also told me they cant turn the engine over by hand and think it may be seized.

how will i know for definate? and what is the best course of action from here? i have never dealt with anything like this before so dont know whether parts could be replaced or its a full new engine job :(

at no point was there any loss of power or performance until the car literally wouldnt turn over.

any ideas?

davelowe
Driving Legend

Re: Engine Seized?

Postby davelowe » Fri Sep 07, 2012 10:09 pm

If they (or you) put a 300mm long standard half inch drive spanner or similar onto the end of the crank pulley (wheel off driver's side & arch cover off) and it won't rotate several turns clockwise (or won't move at all with hand pressure), then it's seized.

No amount of starter motor juice will cure this problem. You should be able to turn it with moderate pressure with the plugs in - and feel the compression. It's sort of easy - harder - easy, etc as you turn it.

If you hear a 'bump' at some point, this means major trouble.
Silver 08 plate 5dr 1.5dci Dynamique 106 Tech Run (re-mapped)

Red 03 plate 5dr 1.9 Dynamique dci120

Best advice for Megane owners: sell it before it bankrupts you!

elniniol999
Currently Drives:: 2008 Megane 1.5dCi Tech Run

Postby elniniol999 » Sat Sep 08, 2012 3:45 pm

thanks for the reply.

if it has seized, is it a case of a new engine or can seized engines be repaired?

davelowe
Driving Legend

Postby davelowe » Sun Sep 09, 2012 9:50 pm

That is a whole can of worms... First,check that is seized.
Silver 08 plate 5dr 1.5dci Dynamique 106 Tech Run (re-mapped)

Red 03 plate 5dr 1.9 Dynamique dci120

Best advice for Megane owners: sell it before it bankrupts you!

Return to “Problems / Questions”