wiring for rain sensor and rear view mirror

Problem with your Megane? Can't find an answer? Workshop manuals and technical notes are in here.

Moderators: q292u, Ray, AndyAdmin, Stranger

endisforever
Currently Drives:: megage estate deisal

wiring for rain sensor and rear view mirror

Postby endisforever » Mon May 28, 2012 7:55 pm

i have a 1.5 dci with a rain sensor that was not connected when i bought the car i looked for the cabling and out came 3 cables brown grey and the black that goes into the sensor
here is a pic of my wires and rear view mirror
https://picasaweb.google.com/lh/photo/3 ... directlink

but i have a normal rear view mirror not the white ones with auto dip and sensor covers

are these wires for the auto dip mirrors and the rain/headlight sensor if so do i need to buy a new rear vie w mirror like this one to connet the wires to??
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/RENAULT-MEGAN ... 5d33883db8

also placement of the sensor should it be on the clean part of the screen or are they mounted on the blacked area at the top of the screen??

cheers

morganjake1544
Advanced Driver
Currently Drives:: Clio 1.5dCi 88 Dynamique Tom Tom 3 door in Oyster Grey Metallic

Re: wiring for rain sensor and rear view mirror

Postby morganjake1544 » Tue May 29, 2012 7:05 pm

From the photo of your mirror and windscreen it looks like :-

1. Your car is either a 3 door Extreme or 5 door Authentique or a Rush special edition in which case it would never have had the rain/light sensor, or

2. You have an Expression, Dynamique, or Privilege which has had a replacement windscreen and/or mirror fitted but with the basic mirror. This may have been done in error or to save money, and the redundant sensor wiring left in place.

Post back if you would like me take a photo of mine which has sensors but does not have the auto dimming mirror.
Alternatively, have a look at some Megane's when next in a carpark.

As for fitting the sensor to yours I think you will struggle because your windscreen appears to have the dotted sunband printed where the sensor would go and the sensor unit needs clear glass.

:)
Clio 1.5 dCi 88 Dynamique Tom Tom in Oyster Grey + Twingo GT in Pearl Black on a '58'.

endisforever

Postby endisforever » Tue May 29, 2012 8:46 pm

thanks for the reply a pic would be great

i have been looking at other cars on the streets and i have a good idea where the sensor goes but i dont like staring in so not had a close look at the sensor placement

i have a Dynamique 1.5 dci so it came with sensors but was unsure if it came with an autodip mirror

the black sunband isnt to deep i think the wire would reach to the clear glass below

cheers

ikhan
Advanced Driver
Currently Drives:: Megane 1.5 DCi (106)

Postby ikhan » Tue May 29, 2012 9:01 pm

As above, from your pic it doesn't seem you will be able to physically retro-fit the auto-dip mirror - I had the normal mirror but it staill had all the casing etc (I already had the auto wiper etc though).

Just for your information though, the black connector is for the rain / headlamp sensor (you would need the correct clockspring with the 'auto' stalk) and then this would need to be 'enabled' by Renault Clip.

The other two cables, IIRC one is for the autodip mirror (plug and play if you can physically get it to fit), and the other cable is for sensing the cabin temperature if you have climate control....
Renault Megane 1.5dCi (106)
Lowered 45mm (Spax)
RenaultSport R26 Front & Rear Bumpers, Spoilers, Door Bullets, & Exhaust
6000k HIDs (H7 & H11), LED Side, No Plate, & Interior Lights
18" Inovit Tarmac Alloys (matt black)

endisforever

Postby endisforever » Wed May 30, 2012 9:03 am

my car has auto rain sensor and lights but i think in the past someone has replaced the screen or mirror for what ever reason

i have the auto wipers/lights on the stalks but they say fault when using as they are not plugged in

the sensor was in my glove box when i bought the car but no casing or auto dip mirror, i dont really care about the autodip mirror just wondered what the cables were for

i just want the rain sensor working so i have intermitant wipers as its just constant wipe at the minute and faults on the dash wotjout the sensor plugged in

i dont understand why renault made the auto wipers without a manual intermittant setting its annoying

endisforever

Postby endisforever » Thu May 31, 2012 2:08 pm

just an update

i have just used clear silicone selent to stick the sensor back to the screen and it seems to work i threw some water on the screen and it wiped

doesnt look grwat without the mirror with the casing but i dont care as long as its working

Pritch558
Currently Drives:: 2006 (06) 1.5 Diesel Megane Dynamique Estate (Black)

Postby Pritch558 » Thu Nov 28, 2013 10:31 pm

Sorry to re-start an only convo, but earlier it was mentioned about what the three connectors do, does this mean that a car with the auto wipers with screen sensors etc will have the wiring for the auto-dip mirror even if it wasn't supplied on that model. Reason i'm asking is my sensors etc are fine, but my mirror and housing fell a couple of days ago and mirror smashed, i therefore need to buy a replacement. I've found that i can get the auto-dip mirror cheaper than the standard manual mirror (which mine comes with) so want to know if I can 'upgrade' to a auto dip/dim with ease?

Thanks.

freelanderuk
Rally Driver
Currently Drives:: Megane convertible 1.9dci 2006

Postby freelanderuk » Fri Nov 29, 2013 8:20 am

if you have the housing removed and a spare plug , i think its the grey one , yes you can fit the auto dimming mirror :-)
Drive it like you stole it

My flickr

Pritch558

Postby Pritch558 » Fri Nov 29, 2013 9:42 am

Just checked, can't see a spare plug :(
Is this a no go then? or can I split the power and earth from the rain sensor some how?

Thanks

Pritch558

Postby Pritch558 » Tue Dec 03, 2013 9:20 pm

Anyone good with electrics know if it's possible to do this? or am I best just running a new 'live' from elsewhere, such as charger socket?

freelanderuk
Rally Driver
Currently Drives:: Megane convertible 1.9dci 2006

Postby freelanderuk » Tue Dec 03, 2013 9:27 pm

I think your best bet would be running a new live and earth
Drive it like you stole it

My flickr

Pritch558

Postby Pritch558 » Tue Dec 03, 2013 9:53 pm

No problem. Thanks :-)

Muratak
Currently Drives:: DCI 1.5 megane

Postby Muratak » Sat Sep 16, 2017 1:05 pm

Hello mate its been long. Any update on this. I ve the same car 07 reg. There is a gel sensor. But the connection cables and the climate sensor is missing. There is a grey cable coming out of the mirror. Which doesn't fit to the sensor. I ve checked eBay for the cables but none listed.

I assume the gray plug needs to be connected to the gel sensor socket in order to get the auto wipers and the lights to function.

Can anyone advise. Thanks.

Return to “Problems / Questions”