Injection Fault & STOP 1.5 DCI

Problem with your Megane? Can't find an answer? Workshop manuals and technical notes are in here.

Moderators: q292u, Ray, AndyAdmin, Stranger

tomalamix
F1 Driver
Currently Drives:: Megane II 1.5dCI 100HP

Re: Injection Fault & STOP 1.5 DCI

Postby tomalamix » Thu Apr 28, 2011 10:49 pm

ive updated another post. my problem were the HP pump and it was solved on July'10, ive swapped the pump. what have you done so far?

cheers

finbarrkerrie
Currently Drives:: 1.5 dci renault megane 2004

Postby finbarrkerrie » Sat Apr 30, 2011 10:30 pm

Hi I have this same problem! and its now getting harder to start its now up to 7-10 times before it kick in... I have put new heater plugs on also had a diagnostic test and it came up as ecg so I got it all cleaned out and a new fuel filter on! (also the fuel filter was cut in half to make sure that there was no sharpnel inside.. there was none) I am stummped now and don't know what else to do! could buy new injectors but they are over 500 quid which is heavy price to find out its not them either! I have had it back on the diagnostic machine and its showing up clear no faults???? pretty wierd and getting frustrating!!

PaulDNel
Currently Drives:: Megane Dci 1.5

Postby PaulDNel » Wed May 04, 2011 4:27 pm

Ok here is my frustrating story.

2005 1.5DCi Mark 2.

This car has unfortunately been a bit neglected by its owner so I did a service on it. Air filter and oil flush and change and gearbox oil.

Was running a bit better for about 1000Km. While driving stop light came on and "injection fault". Pulled over, turned it off, turned it on again and the error disappeared for anoter 400 odd Km's.

Stopped at the convenience store, got some gum, came back and it failed to start. Would only beep and display "injection fault". After frantically pushing the button repeatedly it stopped the error and would turn over but not actually start. Had to tow the beast home. Started trawling the forums (hence my membership :-) ). Found a post about the EGR valve. Spent about 2 hours wiggling the bugger free and 3 XL cans of carb cleaner, removing what looked like solid charcoal I had it spick and span and put it back. Same problem, car would turn over but not start.

Next step was a new diesel filter. (Couldnt find one at the last service 1000Km's before). After installing the filter I realised that Renault mechanics must all be gynecologists as well. Got the filter in and primed the bulb like a mad man the car suddenly went back to not cranking only displaying STOP and INJECTION FAULT. I took this as a sign that at least something happened. I charged the battery overnight. Next morning same story STOP and INJECTION FAULT, no cranck, no start.

Ok so heres where I home you can help.

Got home and tried to loosen something that looks like an electrical connector. Its on the engine in the front. Its a round shaped thing with metal tubes coming off it, each tube going to what I believe is an injector, 4 of them. I couldnt get this thing off despite alot of wiggling. so I tapped it a few times with my finger.

Lo and Behold the car started. It idled a bit funny for the first few minutes (think due to the EGR being cleaned and it needed to relearn how to idle properly). Took it for a short test drive and it seems fine. I pray to God it lasts. Thinking of maybe taking it to Renault for a CLIP test anyway, and maybe a reset.

Any comments or ideas as to what I was wiggling?

:pc

tomalamix
F1 Driver

Postby tomalamix » Wed May 04, 2011 10:36 pm

hy there,

that thing is the pressor sensor + common rail assy. the car will not start unless there is enought pressor on that rail, thats why the sensor is there. the next picture is the sensor:

https://im3.ebidst.com/upload_big/4/8/3/ ... 3604-0.jpg

In the next one you can see the complete assy:

https://www.pfjonesebay.co.uk/images/9144A010E.JPG

Ive eared that its ok to change that sensor and probably you will have your problem fixed, but the "Renault dealesr way" is to change everything, the sensor and round thing all together, expensive in my opinion.

cheers

PaulDNel
Currently Drives:: Megane Dci 1.5

Postby PaulDNel » Thu May 05, 2011 1:05 pm

tomalex, dude you are legend thanks!

Does this sensor also need to be coded to the ECU?

Cheers
:pc

tomalamix
F1 Driver

Postby tomalamix » Thu May 05, 2011 8:52 pm

nop...

good luck

mx5barney
Currently Drives:: 2005 megane 1.5dci 3 door

Postby mx5barney » Tue May 10, 2011 9:19 pm

my 2005 58000 mile 1.5dci megane flashed a red light and injection fault warning 10 days ago. only bought the car from main agent 2 months ago, so i phoned them and they said not to try driving it and they would tow it in to check it. got it back today and they told me it was dirty fuel and that they had flushed the systrm out. it was closing time so i took the car and was to return in the next few days to pay. i came home, lifted the bonnet and took the cover of the engine to discover a new pump and injectors. i had let them know that i knew about the problem with delphi pumps disentegrating, so as the car is under warranty i won't be paying. seemingly, this problem is with cars fitted with delphi pumps up to 2006 as they have no bearings and depend on the fuel to lubricate. cars with bosch pumps appear to be ok

davelowe
Driving Legend

Postby davelowe » Tue May 10, 2011 9:32 pm

Bonus!
Silver 08 plate 5dr 1.5dci Dynamique 106 Tech Run (re-mapped)

Red 03 plate 5dr 1.9 Dynamique dci120

Best advice for Megane owners: sell it before it bankrupts you!

tomalamix
F1 Driver

Postby tomalamix » Tue May 10, 2011 9:57 pm

well, a new pump and injectors for a 5€ injectors cleaning agent is a very good deal...or the cleaning agent is a dam good one! lol

cheers

wanda
F1 Driver

Postby wanda » Sat Apr 18, 2015 2:33 pm

I had this problem last week.

One chap said to try a one way valve to prevent the fuel from flowing back to the fuel tank. It should cost just £15.00 to fix. I will let you guys know if it did the trick. Other thing to try is to check has the fuel filter pipes been placed in properly.

gareyt
Learner Driver
Currently Drives:: Renault megane mk2 1.5dci dynamique
with a non starter Renault Megane mk2 1.5 authentique for fixing

Postby gareyt » Sat Apr 18, 2015 4:52 pm

Check injection could be a million things but I would start with the least expensive parts first.

Check for air in the fuel lines, a faulty priming bulb or seals on the fuel pipes could cause too much air in the fuel which could in turn cause less pressure and thus less fuel from reaching the injectors at the right time. This would be intermittent most probably.

Secondly, when was your fuel filter last replaced. Get a good filter and change it. Fingers crossed that could be the problem.

Once these things have been checked you could get the injectors and pump checked but replacing these will get expensive. Start cheap.

wanda
F1 Driver

Postby wanda » Sun May 03, 2015 7:08 pm

Mine is sorted. Turns out the last garage that serviced the car did not put the fuel filter on correctly and didn't use a genuine renault part. Did it my self and all is well.

livewire
Passed Theory
Currently Drives:: Megane mk1 (99)
mk2 (04)
Citroen xsara (02)

Postby livewire » Sat Jul 04, 2015 8:16 pm

the injection fault is a BIG general error that could mean anything?
i did have it when my starter motor went first, would not turn over with enough force, so got the error.
had it not starting, turning over then injection fault error.
after going through several people and being told its the ECU, its the Fuse Box, Its a wiring fault.
trying several so called compilable fault code readers and getting ECM/PCM POWER RELAY which is a generic fault.
Took the plunge and took it to a local independent garage which the owner had worked for Renault and had the real diagnostic kit.
First check fuel filter for metal remains / swarf , cutting it open and using a magnet. as the 1.5dci is well know for the fuel pump breaking up. if so its goodbye.
mine was clean.
it turned out to be the crank sensor (the one on the clutch housing)
there is another sensor near the cam belt that is the engine speed and position sensor. i had replaced this as its easy to do (cost £15) was mistakenly told it was the only sensor.
have since found out that it needs a signal from both sensors for it to start.
So anyone with a non-starter try these first (at £15 each worth the risk)

Healey
Currently Drives:: Scenic 1.5 DCI 2005

Postby Healey » Sat Dec 19, 2015 9:09 pm

Hi all, just joined this forum to share my experience with the injection fault on my scenic 1.5dci. This fault has been driving me crazy, this was supposed to be a cheap runabout but so far has been far from it. I have changed all four injectors, crank sensor and pump/cam sensor with no joy. I have still been having problems with starting and cutting out whilst driving with the BEEP! "STOP INJECTION FAULT".

I have noticed before the air bubbles in the clear pump supply pipe and addressed this by removing the priming bulb changing the filter and replacing the pipe from tank to filter. This seemed to help for a while but lately has got worse.

Today I tried removing the supply pipe from the tank under the rear seat, I pushed some 8mm pipe onto it and blew, my theory was that maybe there is some sort of strainer inside that was blocked. Straight away it seemed much better where as before when turning off the engine you could see diesel/bubbles draining from the pump now you don't. Could it be that a vacuum was being created before?

If this proves successful I will need to remove and clean the tank out but I will be over the moon. :D

birdikos

Postby birdikos » Fri Apr 15, 2016 9:02 pm

Ok just a quick one on this problem. My daughter's 2004 mk2 1.5dci megane had all the same symptoms. We did a full service quality parts. Tested battery changed glow plug relay as well as plugs and a new fuel pressure regulator all of which showed on tests. We finally realised battery wasnt holding its cold cranking ability but volts and alternator all good. Changed battery and now starts first time. We do still have an issue with a leaky injector which is giving us a injection fault messageon hard acceleration or heavy load i.e up hill. No loss of power yet though. So check your battery first with one of the new style battery testers. They're great. Hope this helps.

Return to “Problems / Questions”