Electrical Problems...Going from Bad to Worse!! Help Please!

A place for chat, jokes or anything that doesn't fit elsewhere.

Moderators: q292u, Ray, AndyAdmin, Stranger

si1980
Currently Drives:: megane II '03

Electrical Problems...Going from Bad to Worse!! Help Please!

Postby si1980 » Wed Sep 17, 2008 4:43 pm

Hi All

Megane II - '03 plate here.

It's suffered with electrical problems before - electric windows which was allegedly fixed by Renault a few years ago... a few years go by and all was well.

Now over the past few months many problems have arisen, here's what I've got and how long it's been happening:

1) electric windows at best are intermittently working - past 3 months
2) Abs + STOP light + Warning light + Service light are all ON - past month
2) 'Steering not locked' message on dash when locking the car - past week
4) Airbag light has now come ON - past two days
5) n/s indicators flashing at double speed - started today
6) n/s/f indicator not flashing at all (bulb is fine) - started today
7) ...what's next!

- I've checked all fuses in the engine bay fuse panel and cleaned them - lights remain on & problems remain.
- I've tried the 'wiggle test' on all wiring looms I can get my hands on - lights remain on & problems remain.
- I've 'rebooted' the thing (disconnect battery for 15 mins) - lights remain on & problems remain.

Can anyone advise on what to do next please?

TIA

WebCode
Rally Driver

Re: Electrical Problems...Going from Bad to Worse!! Help Please!

Postby WebCode » Wed Sep 17, 2008 5:49 pm

Sounds like water in the UCH.. The (UCH) fuse box is located on the passenger side of the engine bay.. There was a modified cover fitted to stop this happening.. Very common and one time on early vehicles.. Also expensive to buy a new one..
EX Renault Dealer Technician & MOT Tester, Not a Monkey!

si1980
Currently Drives:: megane II '03

Re: Electrical Problems...Going from Bad to Worse!! Help Please!

Postby si1980 » Sat Sep 20, 2008 10:20 am

thanks for the reply

yesterday the problem got worse - in addition to all the existing problems mentioned above - I was 2 hours away from home and the car failed to start when I pushed the 'start' button - again another electrical problem...Had to call the RAC and get them to bump start me, and then pray that I didn't stall it on the way home.... I eventually get home, stop the car, hit the start button and it decides to start first time !

there is a big cable loom to the right (and sort of in-behind) the battery - anyone know what this is doing? I wiggled it a bit and for the first time ever, my card reader in the dash lit up! starting to think there could be a problem with this loom?

also does anyone know how to get the dash cover off to get at the card reader? I have a feeling the card reader has slipped as the card won't go into the slot properly....

any help much appreciated as I'm really struggling with this.... thanks all.

Return to “Everything Else”