Electric Problems

A place for chat, jokes or anything that doesn't fit elsewhere.

Moderators: q292u, Ray, AndyAdmin, Stranger

tradro96
Currently Drives:: Renault Megane 11 1.6 VVC Dynamique

Electric Problems

Postby tradro96 » Sun Sep 14, 2008 4:02 pm

Hi There

i have a 53 plate megane 1.6 VVC and have just started having electric problems, the air con has stopped working, the heated rear demister has stopped working, the front washers have stopped working and te cigarette lighter is not working, i have cheecked all the fuses in the glove box and all the fuses on the ecm UNIT, these are all fine, any one have any ideas where i might look next

cheers

Dronz

juddadredd

Re: Electric Problems

Postby juddadredd » Tue Sep 16, 2008 4:36 pm

Check harness, put a multimeter on the lighter connection and then follow it backwards from there.

Otherwise disconnect battery for an hour or so and reconnect.

AlexB
Driving Legend
Currently Drives:: Renaultsport R.S.250 Cup

Postby AlexB » Wed Sep 17, 2008 8:42 am

These are all powered down when the car is switched off -- there should be a relay somewhere. There exists a relay and fuse box on the left side (port) under the bonnet, which also includes a controller for connected to the on-board CAN network. It is known to suffer occasionally from water ingress from above or spray coming through the accidentally open hatch under the wheel arch (check it). I am sure that more information can be found in the manual -- see PDFs in Links.

You may also try to find somebody's post about short-circuiting the cigarette lighter socket, which was discussed in this forum a couple of months ago. I can't remember the details, but something there was non-trivial. Someone also mentioned a fuse hidden in the area of the OBD socket, but then it was not found. I never checked it. This is all, I am afraid, which comes to my mind. Good luck!
AlexB
(no, a different AlexB)

tradro96
Currently Drives:: Renault Megane 11 1.6 VVC Dynamique

Postby tradro96 » Wed Sep 17, 2008 8:14 pm

Hi Alex

many thanks for the info, is the fusebox that you are referring to the one on top of the ecm unit or is it separate to this ? the more i think about it the more i think that it is a fuse, also when you say left hand side do you mean left hand side when you are looking at the engine ? or left hand side of the car ?

i will also try and track back the short circuit lighter socket post this may help as well

cheers

Dronz

AlexB
Driving Legend
Currently Drives:: Renaultsport R.S.250 Cup

Postby AlexB » Fri Sep 19, 2008 12:00 am

p.6, pos. 17 here:
https://meganedoksi.uw.hu/MEGANE_II/MR364MEGANE0.PDF
As you see it is different from the ECU, which is pos. 16. As I wrote, the left side is called "port" in Navy -- it is the left side of the car and not of a person standing next to it. One can see the top of the box when the bonnet is open. It is further to the side than the battery cover.

The fuses are shown in p.54 here:
https://meganedoksi.uw.hu/MEGANE_II/MR364MEGANE8.PDF

All these documents are pointed at in Links section of this Forum!
AlexB
(no, a different AlexB)

littlejonboy

Postby littlejonboy » Wed Sep 24, 2008 10:07 am

I hace just had this fixed on my 55 Megane 1.9dci. the fault was a 15amp fuse that had blown. cost me £11 to replace. they put it down to a short connection via Sat Nav being connected to the lighter port.

Return to “Everything Else”