Goodbye Megane

A place for chat, jokes or anything that doesn't fit elsewhere.

Moderators: q292u, Ray, AndyAdmin, Stranger

bigjohn
Passed Theory

Goodbye Megane

Postby bigjohn » Fri Mar 07, 2008 12:09 pm

Megane estate disappears this afternoon after 3 years, I was initially tempted to buy another, especially as a 1.9 dci can be had for under 11K new, and although I've had very few problems, the huge numbers of pages on Parkers featuring Renault problems put me off as I don't do a high mileage now and want something that will still be functioning in 4-5 years.

I've avoided most of the problems with the Megane excpet the clutch start failing a couiple of times but it's an easy fix. I'm not convinced about the geometry of the rear wheels, I get identical wear on the back to the front, normally my rear tyres last twice the front ones, however when it was serviced recently the front pads were only 20% used after 24k, a first for me. The clutch release bearing also sounds a bit dodgy and the gearbox is notchy around third, although by double declutching this goes.

Changing to a SAAB 93 estate with a fair bit more power & an auto box.

wanda
F1 Driver

Postby wanda » Fri Mar 07, 2008 12:34 pm

How about a megane cc? :wink:

bigjohn
Passed Theory

Postby bigjohn » Fri Mar 07, 2008 6:53 pm

No thanks, the whole point was to avoid Renault again, my wife has a Clio & that will go soon, probably for a Mitsubishi.

The Saab goes like hot snot & the dash doesn't rattle and groan.

Eiong
Currently Drives:: Renault Megane II Cabriolet

Re: Goodbye Megane

Postby Eiong » Wed Mar 03, 2010 9:00 am

Recently I acquired a Megane Cabriolet 2.0l 2005 model with +- 50000Kms. Already the clutch has burnt out and this morning it happened for a second time +- 6000kms since it was repaired. I have dealt with Renault to see if there are problems with the clutch but have not had any joy.
You made mention of a clutch problem that has an easy fix. I would appreciate it if you could describe this fix or point me to any matrial in this regard.

wanda
F1 Driver

Postby wanda » Wed Mar 03, 2010 9:28 am

Maybe its just bad luck my wifes clio has done over 60k miles from new and my megane has done over 50k miles from new, yes there have been problems but it has never disappointed me so far.

IainMW
F1 Driver
Currently Drives:: Laguna III 2.0dCi 150 Dynamique Hatchback. Pearl Black, Panoramic Sunroof, Front & Rear Proximity Sensors, 17" Spider Alloys (with B****y expensive tyres on!)

Postby IainMW » Wed Mar 10, 2010 3:31 pm

Good look with the SAAB mate :cool: (underneath it's a GM product.)

Hopefully it will serve you well, like your Megane did. :)

Just remember that it's owners with problems that post on forums like parkers, there will be many happy owners out there that have no need to complain.
Make improvements, not excuses!
Laguna III 2.0dCi 150 Dynamique Hatch. Pearl Black, Panoramic Sunroof, Front & Rear Proximity Sensors, 17" Spider Alloys (with B****y expensive tyres fitted!)

Return to “Everything Else”