Car wash

A place for chat, jokes or anything that doesn't fit elsewhere.

Moderators: q292u, Ray, AndyAdmin, Stranger

Georginasweeting
Currently Drives:: Owns but can't drive Renault megane 1.5 dci 04

Car wash

Postby Georginasweeting » Wed Jan 14, 2015 4:55 pm

Ok so I am a typical female lol and tend to get someone else to wash my car.

But I am also very capable, I would like to know the very best method of washing a car from start to finish and the best products to use, money is no issue. Thank you

Stranger
Site Admin
Currently Drives:: BMW X1

Re: Car wash

Postby Stranger » Wed Jan 14, 2015 5:31 pm

A cracking wash guide written by a fellow who is well known on the detailing circuit:

https://www.cleanyourcar.co.uk/forum/vie ... 7&p=54#p54
STOP DEVELOPMENT ON GREEN FIELD SITES! http://www.cpre.org.uk/

AlexB
Driving Legend
Currently Drives:: Renaultsport R.S.250 Cup

Postby AlexB » Fri Jan 16, 2015 10:22 am

I would say use a plastic bucket and a soft brush, which are a must to have. Paint and glass on modern cars are strong enough to withstand anything for 20 years, apart from abrasive damage. So, never use cloth, sponge or scrapers. Occasionally, if the car was parked under a tree favoured by pigeons, one can use a solution of bio washing fluid in warm water. Otherwise, a drop of rinsing fluid for dishwasher (a high-quality non-ionic surfactant without colour, thickeners, perfume or oils) in a bucket of warm water will do just fine.

When removing ice in winter use water at no higher temperature than 20C above the ambient, i.e. cold water essentially.

Careful with pressure washers, they may cause damage. A regular garden hose will do just fine.

My main point is that cars get dirty anyway. So, any fancy valeting will last a day, then it will become equivalent to a quick wash.
AlexB
(no, a different AlexB)

almcgrail
Pass Plus
Currently Drives:: Megane II tourer 130

Postby almcgrail » Sat Jan 17, 2015 11:35 pm

Rinse, then liquid gold shampoo (no need to shamy), rinse again, then autoglym tyre black. Done. Then you've actually got a weekend :D

rustYmorRis

Postby rustYmorRis » Wed Aug 12, 2015 6:42 am

In fact, automatic car washes can be safer for your car's finish than washing your car yourself because do it yourselfers sometimes don't use enough water to safely remove dirt or they wash the car in direct sunlight,which can burn spots in the paint.

Return to “Everything Else”