Tyres vs road noise

A place for chat, jokes or anything that doesn't fit elsewhere.

Moderators: q292u, Ray, AndyAdmin, Stranger

wanda
F1 Driver

Tyres vs road noise

Postby wanda » Wed Oct 29, 2014 2:48 pm

The EU has given this weird noise rating. I was wondering is it worth the paper its written on? I used to buy Michelin but got 2 punchers so had to get cheap ones a while back. Now its quite noisy to the point where I wonder is it the wheel bearing.

Is it worth buying mid range tyres for the sake of road noise or are they roughly the same as budget tyres?

Stranger
Site Admin
Currently Drives:: BMW X1

Re: Tyres vs road noise

Postby Stranger » Wed Oct 29, 2014 3:01 pm

I had Yokohama on my last 2 Subarus and switched to Kumho which were slightly more noisy but not as noisy as the rating would have suggested. My Skoda came with Continental fitted and I've changed to Avon no noticable difference in road noise but then I never looked to see if the ratings suggested that there would be.

I'm not a lover of ratings and such like, find some reliable user comments is the best way imo or simply go for it. As long as they have the correct speed rating, so as to satisfy your insurance, and give the grip that you require happy days.
STOP DEVELOPMENT ON GREEN FIELD SITES! http://www.cpre.org.uk/

petepete
Just Passed
Currently Drives:: cc

Postby petepete » Wed Oct 29, 2014 3:45 pm

Tyre noise is a critical factor in my purchase ...

And its worth noting some very expensive past tyres become very noisy as they wear...

I chose - C C 71 db tyres which have turned out to be perfect for a megane diesel in wet and dry.

wanda
F1 Driver

Postby wanda » Wed Oct 29, 2014 8:39 pm

Ok I found out something spooky. Tyres have a code of 4 numbers that refer to the week and the year the tyre was made. 2 of my tyres were made in 2013 but the other two budget ones dont actually have a date. That is rather worrying. I think its time to look for replacements.

AlexB
Driving Legend
Currently Drives:: Renaultsport R.S.250 Cup

Postby AlexB » Thu Oct 30, 2014 6:33 pm

Hi Wanda,

I hope you did not put the budgets on the rear...

Yes, tyres can be quite different in the noise they produce.

The production date stamp is sometimes located on the inside (visible from under the car).
AlexB
(no, a different AlexB)

wanda
F1 Driver

Postby wanda » Fri Oct 31, 2014 5:57 pm

Ok got it sorted. Turns out that after my Brands hatch stint the budget tyres became un even which is why they were so noisy.

Return to “Everything Else”