Sideways Adventure

A place for chat, jokes or anything that doesn't fit elsewhere.

Moderators: q292u, Ray, AndyAdmin, Stranger

Dan__UK_1984
Learner Driver
Currently Drives:: 2002 1.5DCi 3Dr

Sideways Adventure

Postby Dan__UK_1984 » Wed Nov 02, 2011 10:15 pm

I was under the impression that small cars had a desire to understeer?

I took a wet greasy roundabout at an "unsuitable speed" at the weekend and ended up sliding the back end out. So much so that I was facing the roundabout whist going round it sideways and missed my turn off by a long shot. Would have been impressive had I meant to do it!

I dont hang about and the meg has never given the slightest hint of losing the back end before - can I put this down to some diesel on the road?

On a related topic - is DSC or whatever the Renault equiv is retrofittable to the 1.5DCi?

:oops:

davelowe
Driving Legend

Re: Sideways Adventure

Postby davelowe » Wed Nov 02, 2011 10:22 pm

Good man! Always impressed to see some 'action'. I once did a similar thing in a long wheel based transit van - although I neglected to wave my arm out of the window to indicate an 'off' (apparently this is the norm on tracks - but I was on the A38).

Anecdotal reports suggest that the Megane can be a little lively - I think a number of people on here have posted about it before.

No idea if electronic stability can be retrofitted. Similar to the cruise control, it might simply be a question of switching it on via CANBUS. I don't know though...
Silver 08 plate 5dr 1.5dci Dynamique 106 Tech Run (re-mapped)

Red 03 plate 5dr 1.9 Dynamique dci120

Best advice for Megane owners: sell it before it bankrupts you!

Dan__UK_1984
Learner Driver

Postby Dan__UK_1984 » Wed Nov 02, 2011 10:26 pm

I wouldnt have minded so much but its not like the little 1.5 has much power to pull the rear end back in check. Gear changes mid slide are best avoided I generally find!

Perhaps time to get some new boots, I know one of the rears is a bit suspect.

AlexB
Driving Legend
Currently Drives:: Renaultsport R.S.250 Cup

Postby AlexB » Tue Nov 08, 2011 12:33 am

Wooden tyres or braking/lifting off the throttle in the bend? The standard countermeasure on a FWD car is more throttle plus opposite lock!

Regarding the DSC/ESP system - it does not prevent speeding... No, it is not retrofitable.

Anyway, well done, you are alive and the car is in one piece. We all had our moments. What doesn't kill us makes us stronger.

Dan__UK_1984 wrote:I was under the impression that small cars had a desire to understeer?

I took a wet greasy roundabout at an "unsuitable speed" at the weekend and ended up sliding the back end out. So much so that I was facing the roundabout whist going round it sideways and missed my turn off by a long shot. Would have been impressive had I meant to do it!

I dont hang about and the meg has never given the slightest hint of losing the back end before - can I put this down to some diesel on the road?

On a related topic - is DSC or whatever the Renault equiv is retrofittable to the 1.5DCi?

:oops:
AlexB
(no, a different AlexB)

Dan__UK_1984
Learner Driver

Postby Dan__UK_1984 » Wed Nov 09, 2011 6:26 pm

AlexB wrote:The standard countermeasure on a FWD car is more throttle plus opposite lock!

I tried that - trouble is I think the 1.5 has so little power it couldnt really drag its ass round!

I just need to learn I guess - coming from a Range Rover, perm 4wd with DSC amongst other things. That would understeer which could be equally as scary if you're going strait on in a corner!

rjacko
Pass Plus
Currently Drives:: Renault Megane 1.9 dci Dynamique, 3dr 03 reg

Postby rjacko » Wed Nov 09, 2011 8:28 pm

Yeah more than likely diesel.
3dr 03 Megane 1.9Dci, Dynamique, panoramic roof, keyless system, full leather, 6 cd changer, 17" Nervasport alloys

Bidey
Currently Drives:: Megane 1.6 Dynamyque Auto 08 Reg (for most of the time!!)
Ford Focus CC3 2 litre petrol convertible, (for sunny days)

Postby Bidey » Wed Nov 09, 2011 11:40 pm

Had an exactly the same experience with my 1.6 auto on a roundabout. Real scary was allover the place and ended up off the road but luckily onto open grass area. Came to sweaty stop and shaky hands!!! :roll:

Not even a hint of control just went sideways and bum oot!! :-(

Checked car over (bumped up kerb at speed) no visible damage.
However developed bulge on one tyre side wall cost me £60 + to replace (nearly new tyre) :cry :cry

Speed, wet and or diesel not sure,, but still wary on corners/roundabouts etc 2 months later. :pc
Bidey fae Perth

Return to “Everything Else”