DPF/FAP Removal

A place for chat, jokes or anything that doesn't fit elsewhere.

Moderators: q292u, Ray, AndyAdmin, Stranger

bobada
Passed Theory
Currently Drives:: Megane 1.9dci 130

DPF/FAP Removal

Postby bobada » Mon Oct 03, 2011 10:48 pm

REGENERATE SOOT FILTER :x

Im getting a bit sick of seeing 'Regenerate Soot Filter' pop up in front of me. Has anyone had the DPF removed? If so how much did It cost and did you see any improvements?

Thanks

Megane 1.9 Dci 130

Boomstyliemikey
Advanced Driver
Currently Drives:: 1.9 130 , remapped, DPF removed, Panel filter, double din

Re: DPF/FAP Removal

Postby Boomstyliemikey » Tue Oct 04, 2011 12:50 pm

I've had mine removed. I'm in two minds about it as there are both benefits and disadvantages

Performance wise I didn't notice much difference, think you only gain 5hp if that. Like you I got mine removed due to constantly having to regenerate the soot filter and Renault charging close to £100 to do so. Since having mine removed I haven't had any problems and didn't need to have it even taken off the ECU as the car didn't go into limp mode (Companies usually charage £100 to so this.)

The down side is the car now smokes like hell and leaves a trail of soot whenever you put your foot down. At night its really visible. I spent a lot of money trying to sort this out but the only way would be to put the DPF back in. I was charged £150 for mine to be hollowed out which is extremely cheep. It looked a mess tho so I got a pipe from the scrap yard and had the DPF cut out all together.

Looking back Id defiantly take it out but just depends how much the smoke would bother you
1.9 dci dynamique, originally 130bhp. Remapped, DPF removed, Pipercross panel filter.viewtopic.php?f=13&t=17209

bobada
Passed Theory
Currently Drives:: Megane 1.9dci 130

Postby bobada » Tue Oct 04, 2011 5:33 pm

I dont think the smoke would bother me too much but ya never know.

How about getting the DPF removed from the ECU and leaving it in place? Then having a remap, do you think this would be a wise move? Theres a lot of COmpanies offering to remove it at fairly reasonalble prices

Megane 1.9 Dci 130

Ray
Site Admin
Currently Drives:: 2005 Megane Privilege - Now Sold

Postby Ray » Tue Oct 04, 2011 7:15 pm

how does it pass the MOT?

Boomstyliemikey
Advanced Driver
Currently Drives:: 1.9 130 , remapped, DPF removed, Panel filter, double din

Postby Boomstyliemikey » Tue Oct 04, 2011 9:47 pm

Hey bobada, I know there are some companies that are offering to just remove the dpf off the ecu but in my opinion that's one of the worst things you can do! Especially if your gonna have it remapped. The fault (the dpf being clogged) will still exist the error message will just not be displayed. If the fault is left it can cause ALOT of damage. On top of that if you get it remapped you'll have a rich fuel ratio which will clog the dpf even more. Am I assuming ur car is a 1.9 as it has a dpf? This is just my understanding from having problems with my dpf and remap. Car is running excellent now and from my experience I'd recommend have the dpf taken out and it remapped. The only downside is the smoke.

Hey ray, had my mot last week and I can't tell you how nervous I was. If there was a smoke test it would have failed outright. So guessing they don't do one anymore? He said they test the c02 emissions and that's what cars fails on. My car emissions are fine so whatever the smoke is it's not the harmful co2 there testing for.
1.9 dci dynamique, originally 130bhp. Remapped, DPF removed, Pipercross panel filter.viewtopic.php?f=13&t=17209

Return to “Everything Else”