Weekend of Detailing

A place for chat, jokes or anything that doesn't fit elsewhere.

Moderators: q292u, Ray, AndyAdmin, Stranger

Dan__UK_1984
Learner Driver
Currently Drives:: 2002 1.5DCi 3Dr

Weekend of Detailing

Postby Dan__UK_1984 » Fri Sep 30, 2011 9:08 pm

I had a detailing session last weekend... I'd like to share the results:

Step 1 - Wash thoroughly.
Step 2 - Meguiars Ultimate Compound. Machine applied, just one coat.
Step 3 - Autoglym Super Resin Polish. Machine applied and machine buffed off.
Step 4 - Meguiars NXT Gen 2 wax. 1 coat, hand applied.
Step 5 - Glass Clean with Autoglym Fast Glass
Step 6 - Clean Alloys (no pics, sorry)

This was after the "ultimate compound" you can see its clean, but doesnt have the deep shine, this is only brought out after the SRP and a good wax:

pwjsmith
Passed Theory
Currently Drives:: Megane II

Re: Weekend of Detailing

Postby pwjsmith » Sat Oct 01, 2011 7:05 pm

Hey Dan, your car looks really nice!

I've not used any of the products you have listed before, what kind of prices are they and how far will each one go i.e. how many applications?

Also, I know it would probably be hard work but can you achieve a similar finish by hand instead of using a machine polisher?

Regards,

Peter

Dan__UK_1984
Learner Driver
Currently Drives:: 2002 1.5DCi 3Dr

Postby Dan__UK_1984 » Sat Oct 01, 2011 9:07 pm

Hi Peter,

The products last a long time, most of mine I've had for three or four years and I used to take good care of my Range Rover - that car had a lot of area to polish & wax!

Unless your paintwork is very oxidized then you probably don’t need the Megs Ultimate Compound. The theory is:

A polish "cuts" the paint top layer/lacquer. This removed imperfections/contaminants that are stuck to the surface of the paint, these often can’t be seen, but can be felt. Some polishes - specifically also contain "fillers" these fill small scratches/swirls in the top layer. Only the ones you can’t feel in the paint though. Although it will often lessen the appearance of a deeper scratch.

A wax is a layer of wax OR these days a synthetic polymer (wax-like) which seals the paintwork & protects it from oxygen (which causes it to oxidise and go dull) and general dirt. It is MUCH easier to wash a car that has been waxed as the dirt doesn’t bond to the paintwork.

There is also a "cleanser" which can be a slightly more abrasive polish, or have added chemicals to remove things that are really bonded to the paintwork (tar, bird droppings, and industrial fallout)

As for the polishing machine, mine cost £20 from eBay (new, buy it now). You can get exactly the same finish by hand though, but your hands will ache by the end of the day - and it will take a whole day if doing by hand. I tend to apply by machine and remove by hand as I like to check the progress as I go through the stages.

The products I would recommend for a beginner are:

Meguiars Deep Crystal Cleaner- eBay - £8.00

Autoglym Super Resin Polish - eBay £5.25

Meguiars NXT 2.0 Wax - eBay - £1.98 (sample) - £15 (bottle)

Car Polisher (not the 12v ones, they are pants) - eBay - £20-£25

I only use the cleanser twice a year (spring and autumn) I polish every other wax and I try to wax every month (this often slips!)

Dwabo
Just Passed
Currently Drives:: Megane 2.0Dci GT (remapped!)
Front & rear HEL brake lines, Uprated Alpine ICE

Postby Dwabo » Tue Oct 04, 2011 9:02 am

as you have stated, you only need to polish a car once, twice max a year as generally over time they will reduce the level of laquer over the cars painted surface.. so every time you polish you are effectively taking off minute amounts of laquer to acheive the 'shine'
The key is, regular washing using a lambs wool mit and 2 buckets one for the suds and one clean water bucket to rinse the mitt with after every panel.
Also regular applications of wax will help build up the protection of the paint. There are many out there and each one varies in quality and how long it will protect the paint with.. I prefer my summer wax nattys blue, but it only gives around 3-4 month protection. For a winter long lasting wax try something like colinite or similar.
Megane GT 2.0dci Remapped by Angel Tuning

pwjsmith
Passed Theory
Currently Drives:: Megane II

Postby pwjsmith » Tue Oct 11, 2011 5:33 pm

Thanks for the info guys. I've just returned from holiday and have now read your posts. Will give it a try.

If I get the wife to do the polishing, then MY arms won't ache - worth a try?

Peter

Return to “Everything Else”