Service and airbag lights on '03 megane 1.4l

A place for chat, jokes or anything that doesn't fit elsewhere.

Moderators: q292u, Ray, AndyAdmin, Stranger

jdog5

Service and airbag lights on '03 megane 1.4l

Postby jdog5 » Mon Nov 22, 2010 10:53 pm

For the last few months when taking sharp corners in the car the steering column was making a noise, like ball bearings or something turning with it. Then today that noise finally disappeared only to be replaced by the warning service and airbag lights and a scraping sound behind the steering column.

I am wondering how serious a problem this is as i've heard other people complain before about the service light and airbag light being on for ages and the car driving like a dream.

All help greatly appreciated.

jdog

davelowe
Driving Legend

Re: Service and airbag lights on '03 megane 1.4l

Postby davelowe » Tue Nov 23, 2010 10:41 pm

Jack up both sides of the front end, turn on the ignition (not the engine) to unlock the steering, then move the wheels by hand from lock to lock. Check for noises. Do the same inside. If nothing is revealed, remove the road wheels and make sure everything is bolted together.

On the other hand, the problem is most likely the clock spring ribbon cable. Hope it isn't.
Silver 08 plate 5dr 1.5dci Dynamique 106 Tech Run (re-mapped)

Red 03 plate 5dr 1.9 Dynamique dci120

Best advice for Megane owners: sell it before it bankrupts you!

123*reggie
Pass Plus
Currently Drives:: Renualt megane 1.5cdi (80 dyo) blue

Re: Service and airbag lights on '03 megane 1.4l

Postby 123*reggie » Thu Nov 25, 2010 9:52 am

jdog5 wrote:For the last few months when taking sharp corners in the car the steering column was making a noise, like ball bearings or something turning with it. Then today that noise finally disappeared only to be replaced by the warning service and airbag lights and a scraping sound behind the steering column.

I am wondering how serious a problem this is as i've heard other people complain before about the service light and airbag light being on for ages and the car driving like a dream.

All help greatly appreciated.

jdog

Yr proplem is the clock spring mine had done the
easy job it's the stalks in the middle there's a balbearing
and they snap and fcuk yr electrics up
viewtopic.php?f=7&t=15582
Remapped, pipecrosser cone induction kit, tinted windows, dropped 70mm, 8k hids with privet plate

K4 VNW over and out!

Return to “Everything Else”