Just how bad is the Megane?

A place for chat, jokes or anything that doesn't fit elsewhere.

Moderators: q292u, Ray, AndyAdmin, Stranger

gavb
Currently Drives:: Horrific LandRover Freelander

Just how bad is the Megane?

Postby gavb » Wed Nov 17, 2010 7:24 pm

Hi guys, I'm very near to buying a 54 plate Megane 1.9 dci 120. It's got 83k on the clock and full Renault service history.
It's from a dealer who is willing to put a new cambelt on as it's due and will give a 1 year warranty too.
MY question is, just how reliable or not are the meganes? I've heard a lot of mumblings about reliability issues with these cars but never seem to arrive at anything consistent or major other than common electrical issues such as windows etc.
Are the engines ok? It seems pretty widespread across Renault.
How does a Megane realistically compare to say an Astra or Focus?
I appreciate there may be a slightly biased view on this forum but your honesty would be gratefully received, I work away a lot so want something my wife can use without breaking down in the middle of nowhere, if it's all annoying faults like rattles and bulbs blowing then I can probably live with it.

Cheers

andywills
Advanced Driver
Currently Drives:: 04 Megane 1.6e 16V VVT

Re: Just how bad is the Megane?

Postby andywills » Wed Nov 17, 2010 9:38 pm

To be absolutely honest, I wouldnt consider them any different than any other car. Every car has problems. For example, the works mercedes is notorious for wearing out tyres and the waste gate valve sticking, and yes, both have happened and it's not even a year old
Renault Megané Dynamique 1.6e 16v VVT 2004

davelowe
Driving Legend

Re: Just how bad is the Megane?

Postby davelowe » Wed Nov 17, 2010 10:22 pm

I'd go for it with a new belt and warranty of 1 year - depending on price. The Megane is a car you learn to live with - and fun!
Silver 08 plate 5dr 1.5dci Dynamique 106 Tech Run (re-mapped)

Red 03 plate 5dr 1.9 Dynamique dci120

Best advice for Megane owners: sell it before it bankrupts you!

Return to “Everything Else”