Builders and the recession

A place for chat, jokes or anything that doesn't fit elsewhere.

Moderators: q292u, Ray, AndyAdmin, Stranger

nickbell69
Advanced Driver
Currently Drives:: megane 1.9dci priv 53

Builders and the recession

Postby nickbell69 » Tue Oct 19, 2010 10:03 pm

What's going on out there? I thought we were in the middle of a massive downturn in economy especially for the building and construction industry.

I'm planning a garage costing approx £6000, so far i've called 8 builders and arranged visits for quotes. Guess what? Only 2 have turned up so far!
1 got back with quote the day after as promised the other still hasn't 5 weeks later, although he rings every week with various excuses, his latest, he is waiting for prices for the trusses(funny that i rang a truss place and got a quote on the phone there and then). Needless to say he won't be doing the work.
The one who has given a quote so far i am impressed with but would obviously like other quotes to compare it to.
Even used mybuilder.com where you advertise your project and builders get in touch.
Might end up doing a bricklaying course at this rate it would be easier!!

Stranger
Site Admin
Currently Drives:: BMW X1

Re: Builders and the recession

Postby Stranger » Wed Oct 20, 2010 12:35 pm

I was informed by a builder doing some remodelling where I work that in a recession there is a knock down effect ergo; those that did £1m+ projects do projects that are under £1m and so on and so forth. They are geared up to do bigger work and they have to pay the associated overheads hence why quotes aren't cheaper as one would expect. Workmen in general are notoriously unreliable, I have lost count of how many joiners, cabinet makers, builders etc I have enquired with re: quotes and how many have actually called around when they said they would or infact at all.

I have a plumber, roofer, electrician, plasterer and decorator that I know I can count on, they're not the cheapest although they're not bad, I'm happy with the work that they do and am happy to pay for a reliable service.
STOP DEVELOPMENT ON GREEN FIELD SITES! http://www.cpre.org.uk/

Return to “Everything Else”