Renault Oil Specs - A question for Oilman?

A place for chat, jokes or anything that doesn't fit elsewhere.

Moderators: q292u, Ray, AndyAdmin, Stranger

IainMW
F1 Driver
Currently Drives:: Laguna III 2.0dCi 150 Dynamique Hatchback. Pearl Black, Panoramic Sunroof, Front & Rear Proximity Sensors, 17" Spider Alloys (with B****y expensive tyres on!)

Renault Oil Specs - A question for Oilman?

Postby IainMW » Tue Jun 15, 2010 2:54 pm

Hi Simon/Guy

Could you enlighten me please on the new Renault REN700/710/720 oil specs? I have searched yon t'internet but found very little? :?

What excatly have Renault specified in the oil additive package over and above the previous ACEA A3 B3/B4 and C3 specs :hm

I know that R720 is now ACEA C4 5W30 which from what I have read Renault pushed for as a new standard?

My 2007 Laguna III 2.0dCi 150 (non DPF) requires REN710 spec but would I do it any harm if I ran a ACEA B4 5W40 oil in it? According to Renault's documentation if a 5W40 B4 oil is used instead of REN710 then the service interval would need to be reduced?

It's due a service soon and my dealer uses Castrol Magnatec Professional 5W40 C3 as a standard fill. Is this any good? It's got Elf Solaris 5W30 C3 in it at the moment according to the service book, as it was serviced by Renault as per the Renault to Go scheme (which is how I bought it)

Cheers
Iain
Make improvements, not excuses!
Laguna III 2.0dCi 150 Dynamique Hatch. Pearl Black, Panoramic Sunroof, Front & Rear Proximity Sensors, 17" Spider Alloys (with B****y expensive tyres fitted!)

oilman
Advanced Driver

Re: Renault Oil Specs - A question for Oilman?

Postby oilman » Wed Jun 16, 2010 9:08 am

Hi Iain

Here is a quick summary of the Renault specs

https://www.opieoils.co.uk/c-897-renault-engine-oil.aspx

On a database we use it describes the 710 oils as 'A compulsory specification for all models manufactured after 08 October 2007, where specified. This product exceeds ACEA A3/B4, SAE 5W-40 requirements and can be used for vehicles prior to this date. For gasoline, E85, and diesel service'.

So if your car is pre October 2007, it's nothing to worry about and just use a decent 5w-40. If it's after that, and has some warranty left on it, I would stick with the 710 spec oils, such as the Fuchs Supersyn RN, Castrol Edge 5w-40 or Motul X-Clean. The Supersyn RN and X-Clean are pretty well priced oils for what they are (the Edge is as well at the moment due to the litre free) so I would just use one of those for servicing, even if the warranty has finished.

https://www.opieoils.co.uk/c-656-5w-40.aspx

Cheers

Tim
Use the code MEGOC and get 10% Club Discount
oilman's website for engine oil and much more - register for news and offers
email: sales@opieoils.co.uk
phone: 01209 202944

IainMW
F1 Driver
Currently Drives:: Laguna III 2.0dCi 150 Dynamique Hatchback. Pearl Black, Panoramic Sunroof, Front & Rear Proximity Sensors, 17" Spider Alloys (with B****y expensive tyres on!)

Postby IainMW » Wed Jun 16, 2010 9:43 am

Hi Tim

Thanks for the reply

My car was registered on 26th September 2007 so it's probabaly a April/May/June 2007 build (one of the early ones anyway), some way before the 8th October.

I was just interested to know what specific criteria the REN specs stipulate over and above the ACEA standards?

:cool:
Laguna III 2.0dCi 150 Dynamique Hatch. Pearl Black, Panoramic Sunroof, Front & Rear Proximity Sensors, 17" Spider Alloys (with B****y expensive tyres fitted!)

oilman
Advanced Driver

Postby oilman » Wed Jun 16, 2010 11:30 am

To my knowledge, the Renault specs are really just a certification that the oil meets the correct ACEA rating, is of the correct viscosity for the engine and is suitable for the service schedule decided for the car. Manufacturer specs do not necessarily exceed ACEA specs, but as most people don't know anything about ACEA specs etc, combining all the relevant data into one number is the simplest way of doing it.

Cheers

Tim
Use the code MEGOC and get 10% Club Discount
oilman's website for engine oil and much more - register for news and offers
email: sales@opieoils.co.uk
phone: 01209 202944

IainMW
F1 Driver

Postby IainMW » Wed Jun 16, 2010 1:44 pm

oilman wrote:To my knowledge, the Renault specs are really just a certification that the oil meets the correct ACEA rating, is of the correct viscosity for the engine and is suitable for the service schedule decided for the car. Manufacturer specs do not necessarily exceed ACEA specs, but as most people don't know anything about ACEA specs etc, combining all the relevant data into one number is the simplest way of doing it.

Cheers

Tim

That make sense! The French doing something logical for once :lol:

Found this on ACEA's website which make for interesting reading!!!
https://www.acea.be/images/uploads/files ... _Final.pdf

Cheers Tim

Return to “Everything Else”