Pushing my annual service limit

A place for chat, jokes or anything that doesn't fit elsewhere.

Moderators: q292u, Ray, AndyAdmin, Stranger

misty2k
Pass Plus
Currently Drives:: 2008 Mercedes ML320 CDI

Pushing my annual service limit

Postby misty2k » Thu Apr 15, 2010 11:11 pm

Folks,

I have an '05 1.9DCi Coupe Cabriolet with 41,000 on the clock.

My annual service was due a month ago. The little spanner light is nagging me. I am holding off because I am desperately looking for a replacement car (see post here: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=13240) and don't want to spend money on a service for a car I want to trade in.

Last year she did sit for three months with very little use while I was on extended holiday so I am hoping that will count for something. She's had regular services while I've had her for past three years and I usually have the service earlier than required. She runs like a dream, no heat or starting issues (touch wood).

So, how far do you think I can push the envelope on this? I don't want to cause any problems by holding off, but I have a tiny suspicion she might need new discs / pads which will be expensive (£800 last time!). Also she's nearly 5 so will need a new cam-belt in a few months.

Any thoughts?

Dee
1st Car - Navy Blue '97 Megane I, 1.4 RTE
2nd Car - Red '04 Megane II, 1.6 VVTi
3rd Car - Silver '05 Megane II CC, 1.9 DCi
4th Car - Black '07 Megane II CC, 1.9 DCi
5th Car - Black '08 Mercedes ML320 Sport

colbarnett
Passed Theory
Currently Drives:: Honda Accord Tourer Sport 2.2 Diesel

Re: Pushing my annual service limit

Postby colbarnett » Thu Apr 15, 2010 11:36 pm

I would just hold off & trade it in as soon as, and as you are buying form a main dealer they will service car when they sell it to a new owner.

why shell out, cos you will not receive a penny more for it on your trade in price that's for sure. serviced or not.

misty2k
Pass Plus

Postby misty2k » Thu Apr 15, 2010 11:42 pm

colbarnett wrote:I would just hold off & trade it in as soon as, and as you are buying form a main dealer they will service car when they sell it to a new owner.

why shell out, cos you will not receive a penny more for it on your trade in price that's for sure. serviced or not.

Yeah, my point exactly. I basically know they will take it off my hands so I don't have to pay the final sum on my PCP contract. My car will "magically" be worth exactly the right amount to settle up but probably nothing for a deposit. Still, that is more than "webuyanycar.com" are willing to give me.

Dee

P.S. It would also help if some barsteward hadn't just ruined my passenger door in my local multi-storey! Inconsiderate sod has done £150 worth damage to the paintwork. Grrr... :banghead

nickbell69
Advanced Driver
Currently Drives:: megane 1.9dci priv 53

Postby nickbell69 » Fri Apr 16, 2010 6:43 am

I wouldn't worry about it. Traded mine in a couple of months back with service history until 70k (120k on clock).
Out of curiosity i told some dealers it had full service history then went back and told them i'd forgotten and it was only partial. Made no difference to trade in price at all.
Suppose it depends on the age of the car mine was a 53 plate.

colbarnett
Passed Theory

Postby colbarnett » Fri Apr 16, 2010 8:04 am

nickbell69 wrote:I wouldn't worry about it. Traded mine in a couple of months back with service history until 70k (120k on clock).
Out of curiosity i told some dealers it had full service history then went back and told them I'd forgotten and it was only partial. Made no difference to trade in price at all.

Play them at there own game that's what i say. It's up to them to check the paper work, service history is not worth anything if you are trading a car in you never get any extra cash of a dealer for it, and most of the time they well never ask about it.
But watch the price go up if you are trying to buy one with full service they will soon bang the pounds on then and make a big deal about it.

nickbell69
Advanced Driver
Currently Drives:: megane 1.9dci priv 53

Postby nickbell69 » Fri Apr 16, 2010 8:38 am

colbarnett wrote:
nickbell69 wrote:I wouldn't worry about it. Traded mine in a couple of months back with service history until 70k (120k on clock).
Out of curiosity i told some dealers it had full service history then went back and told them I'd forgotten and it was only partial. Made no difference to trade in price at all.

Play them at there own game that's what i say. It's up to them to check the paper work, service history is not worth anything if you are trading a car in you never get any extra cash of a dealer for it, and most of the time they well never ask about it.
But watch the price go up if you are trying to buy one with full service they will soon bang the pounds on then and make a big deal about it.

true not one asked to see the service book even the one that took it off me. And i being cynical think that it's not hard for a garage to get the book stamped up to date whether from themselves or by another garage. Lost count of number of cars i looked at where i was told 2it has a FSH by ourselves, the owner gets all his cars from here and always brings them here for a service" Yeah right.

colbarnett
Passed Theory

Postby colbarnett » Fri Apr 16, 2010 10:21 am

If you are paying a extra for a full service history (and you will if car has it) just make sure you get one, It's OK the service book being stamped but unless each stamp is backed up with a invoice or a copy of the service sheet take it that it has not been done & don't pay extra for FSH if all the paperwork to back up the stamps is not there.

They are quick to shout that is has FSH but when you check there is paperwork missing a lot of the time.

Paddy
F1 Driver
Currently Drives:: Megane Saloon 2.0 VVT Dynamique

Postby Paddy » Fri Apr 16, 2010 6:52 pm

Holy SH1T £800 for disks and pads?!

I bought up rated EBC disks and pads alround and that cost £210 all in and 50 to get them fitted.

You must have oppted for the gold plated version.

misty2k
Pass Plus

Postby misty2k » Fri Apr 16, 2010 8:14 pm

ulrich100 wrote:Holy SH1T £800 for disks and pads?!

I bought up rated EBC disks and pads alround and that cost £210 all in and 50 to get them fitted.

You must have oppted for the gold plated version.

Checked the bill. There was service and some other crap in the total too. Fronts were 255+Vat. Rears 290+Vat.

There is an outside chance that I just might be a mug. Still, I'd only been driving a couple of years and was on my third Megane. I'm a bit less of a total mug now... hence asking the question here and not just taking it in for a service because the blinky light says so.

Dee

wanda
F1 Driver

Postby wanda » Mon Apr 19, 2010 9:36 pm

I know this is extreme but this is what happened to someone who didnt change their oil for 40k

https://forums.bimmerforums.com/forum/sh ... ?t=1281659
:hm

misty2k
Pass Plus

Postby misty2k » Tue Apr 20, 2010 7:22 am

wanda wrote:I know this is extreme but this is what happened to someone who didnt change their oil for 40k

https://forums.bimmerforums.com/forum/sh ... ?t=1281659
:hm

Fortunately I've barely done 10K since last change. The dealer has been looking for a completely hands-free Coupe Cabriolet and has failed miserably so far. I reckon another couple of weeks and I will have to cave in... even if it's only for the oil change.

Dee

misty2k
Pass Plus

Postby misty2k » Tue Apr 20, 2010 7:24 pm

Checked mileage today. Have only done 9000 in the last year and a bit, plus she was laid up for 3 months so I've stopped sweating.

Just wish I could find a 1.9 / 2.0 Diesel CC with keyless, handsfree entry. Gah!

Dee

wanda
F1 Driver

Postby wanda » Tue Apr 20, 2010 7:28 pm

misty2k wrote:Checked mileage today. Have only done 9000 in the last year and a bit, plus she was laid up for 3 months so I've stopped sweating.

Just wish I could find a 1.9 / 2.0 Diesel CC with keyless, handsfree entry. Gah!

Dee

Are you going for another megane cc? I have a friend who is a sales man. Might be able to get you a deal or even a steel.

misty2k
Pass Plus

Postby misty2k » Tue Apr 20, 2010 7:43 pm

wanda wrote:
misty2k wrote:Checked mileage today. Have only done 9000 in the last year and a bit, plus she was laid up for 3 months so I've stopped sweating.

Dee

Are you going for another megane cc? I have a friend who is a sales man. Might be able to get you a deal or even a steel.

Yes please!

I love my CC as you know from when you saw her. Definitely want another one. Can't afford a Meg III yet (nor a BMW 3 series CC) so am happy for another. My finance is up in a few months so I can save money buy getting a new finance deal on a newer car.

Here's a link to what I am looking for viewtopic.php?f=15&t=13240... would love a 2.0 litre. I fancy an extra 20 bhp.

Dee

IainMW
F1 Driver
Currently Drives:: Laguna III 2.0dCi 150 Dynamique Hatchback. Pearl Black, Panoramic Sunroof, Front & Rear Proximity Sensors, 17" Spider Alloys (with B****y expensive tyres on!)

Postby IainMW » Wed Apr 21, 2010 9:04 am

Dee

If you can't find a 2.0dCi 150, you could always have a re-map or fit a tuning box to the 1.9 engine. That will give you an extra 20- 30bhp and a shed full more tourque.

Have you thought about adding 17" Alloys yourself? Might be an option or something you could work into a deal.

PCP plan :eek had one of these on my last Laguna, it did not work in my favour and I lost a lot through it so personaly I would not go for another, but that is just my opinion.

My Laguna II 2.0dCi was a good car but I dont' think the installation of the 2.0 engine was as good as the 1.9dCi, it was quite gruff and boomy at low speed and noisy at tick over. My old 1.9dCi Laguna was very smooth and quiet. Can't comment on the installation in the CC?

However my Laguna III 2.0dCi is a different animal altogether, very quiet and amazingly smooth. With my tuning box fitted it is seriously quick. My friend has an Mazda RX8 231bhp and she's loves driving the Laguna on long journeys, she even recons it would keep the RX8 honest in a straight line race.
:devil

Happy hunting and don't worry too much about the service interval just yet!
Make improvements, not excuses!
Laguna III 2.0dCi 150 Dynamique Hatch. Pearl Black, Panoramic Sunroof, Front & Rear Proximity Sensors, 17" Spider Alloys (with B****y expensive tyres fitted!)

Return to “Everything Else”