recording phone calls

A place for chat, jokes or anything that doesn't fit elsewhere.

Moderators: q292u, Ray, AndyAdmin, Stranger

nickbell69
Advanced Driver
Currently Drives:: megane 1.9dci priv 53

recording phone calls

Postby nickbell69 » Thu Apr 15, 2010 7:50 am

Does anyone know the legality of recording phone calls(that you are having, not tapping a phone!).

I ask this as i have recently had a couple of instances as i'm sure many people have where i'm told something on the phone by a company only for it to be denied later on.
1st one was with my mobile provider-I rang to cancel my contract and was offered an iphone at a really good price. During the call i was told it included applecare protection but a price for this was never mentioned, which subsequently appeared on the bill. After a couple of phone calls i managed to get the charge refunded.
Previous to that i had power provider telling me i was due a refund only for it(and the call) to be denied later on. Another couple of calls and i managed to get that back too.
Yesterday i was talking to a guy from Sky about signing up, after a 20 minute call i said hold on a second just run through what exactly is included and the charges while i record the rest of the call. His 1st reply was i don't think you can record the call, asked him why not as at the start of the call i had a recorded message saying calls were recorded for training purposes, so they're allowed to. He then put me on hold while he spoke to a supervisor, eventually i was told it would be ok but guess what all of a sudden the free installation of a new phone line "might" have a charge!
So i am now thinking in the future to start recording all calls involving anything that may cause me hassle later on. I am quite prepared to tell them i'm recording the call, although i'd prefer not to as i think i could get a lot of freebies after providing recordings of promises made on the phone :-)

Nick

Gav
Advanced Driver
Currently Drives:: Sport Tourer, 1.5 dCi 106

Re: recording phone calls

Postby Gav » Thu Apr 15, 2010 11:31 am

I think that you have to state that you are recording the call.
06 Extreme Blue 1.5dCi 106 Dynamique Sport Tourer with panoramic sunroof and Dension Gateway

Ray
Site Admin
Currently Drives:: 2005 Megane Privilege - Now Sold

Postby Ray » Thu Apr 15, 2010 5:53 pm

as above.

you'd be amazed how many people put the phone down when you tell them. lol

nickbell69
Advanced Driver
Currently Drives:: megane 1.9dci priv 53

Postby nickbell69 » Fri Apr 16, 2010 6:47 am

Ray wrote:as above.

you'd be amazed how many people put the phone down when you tell them. lol

Well its something i'm going to be carrying on with. Discussed it at work and without exception everyone could recall an instance where they'd been told something on the phone only for it to turn out differently later(usually with a cost to them). Might try it in shops as well when buying something, be interesting with delivery times etc and it would be great fun to see their face when i ask if i can record what they are selling me :D

davelowe
Driving Legend

Postby davelowe » Fri Apr 16, 2010 10:35 pm

As above. You must inform the other party that the call is being recorded and obtain permission.
Silver 08 plate 5dr 1.5dci Dynamique 106 Tech Run (re-mapped)

Red 03 plate 5dr 1.9 Dynamique dci120

Best advice for Megane owners: sell it before it bankrupts you!

Return to “Everything Else”