Speeding...... HELP!!

A place for chat, jokes or anything that doesn't fit elsewhere.

Moderators: q292u, Ray, AndyAdmin, Stranger

coupe59
Currently Drives:: at the moment a mk2 ph2 clio but have ordered a coupe which arrives in January

Speeding...... HELP!!

Postby coupe59 » Sat Dec 12, 2009 3:22 pm

Hey all,

I a totally confuzzled by this one..

When I was out the other day I was caught by a hand held speed gun going 34 in a 30..... bad of me i know but when u are coming down a 15% hill bang on 30 is a nightmare.... (not that im usin excuses)

Anyways it was 2 traffic wardings that were using the hand held speed gun and there was no signs saying that speed cameras were about on that road that day like there normally is.

My question really is .... can traffic wardens do u with hand helds??? I asked a traffic warden and even he didnt know but he thought only police could do that?

Any help would b grateful...

antos
Currently Drives:: renault megane saloon

Re: Speeding...... HELP!!

Postby antos » Sat Dec 12, 2009 5:43 pm

Sounds like the hi-viz wearing social do-gooders that are issued speed camera guns to monitor localised roads.
Never known traffic wardens to do this. They submit the camera evidence and if you were excessively speeding
I think you get a warning letter. This occurs in the village I live quite regularly. I wouldn'y worry about it too much.

Cheers Antos

andysuth
Currently Drives:: Audi A4 1.9TDi 110BHp
Renault Megane Scenic, 2L Petrol

Postby andysuth » Sat Dec 12, 2009 7:42 pm

I'm not sure that an actual traffic warden can do this: Surely a Speed gun needs calibrating?

There are also disgressionary processes (i.e. a blind eye) that a qualified policeman might do if they see a "boarderline" case.

If you are in a dangerous area, it's dangerous because accidents happen, the last thing they want is to encourage people to take their eyes off the road regularly to check their speed more often than they have to.

Personally I think that ALL speed traps should have a visual warning of your speed between 100m and 50m before the driver reaches the "safety camera" location, that then emphasises the "fairness" of the speed camera - e.g. they aren't hiding around corners.....

-AS

coupe59
Currently Drives:: at the moment a mk2 ph2 clio but have ordered a coupe which arrives in January

Postby coupe59 » Sat Dec 12, 2009 9:32 pm

Thanks for your reply.

they were hiding in someone's garden! Its usually a speed van that sits on that stretch of road and they all ways have a sign up thats why im a bit confuzzled by it all.

Thinkin about just phoning the traffic department and finding out what they say.

davelowe
Driving Legend

Postby davelowe » Sat Dec 12, 2009 11:11 pm

coupe59 wrote:Hey all,

I a totally confuzzled by this one..

When I was out the other day I was caught by a hand held speed gun going 34 in a 30..... bad of me i know but when u are coming down a 15% hill bang on 30 is a nightmare.... (not that im usin excuses)

Anyways it was 2 traffic wardings that were using the hand held speed gun and there was no signs saying that speed cameras were about on that road that day like there normally is.

My question really is .... can traffic wardens do u with hand helds??? I asked a traffic warden and even he didnt know but he thought only police could do that?

Any help would b grateful...

If you were issued with evidence that you were actually travelling at 34 mph in a 30 zone, then you should be ok. ACPO guidlines state that the minimum speed even for a ticket is 35mph. Besides that, even if you get a ticket (£60 + 3 points) you could contest it based on the calibration of the device. Minimum speed for prosecution is around 50mph.

Forget about it - and don't forget to stare at the speedo instead of the road in future - much safer :cool:
Silver 08 plate 5dr 1.5dci Dynamique 106 Tech Run (re-mapped)

Red 03 plate 5dr 1.9 Dynamique dci120

Best advice for Megane owners: sell it before it bankrupts you!

andywills
Advanced Driver
Currently Drives:: 04 Megane 1.6e 16V VVT

Postby andywills » Sun Dec 13, 2009 11:25 am

at most, you'll get a letter telling you not to do it again
Renault Megané Dynamique 1.6e 16v VVT 2004

Ray
Site Admin
Currently Drives:: 2005 Megane Privilege - Now Sold

Postby Ray » Sun Dec 13, 2009 2:54 pm

:ye

nejkov
Learner Driver
Currently Drives:: Renault Mégane II 1.6i 16V VVT Privilège Luxe Hatchback 5dr Ottoman Blue '04

Postby nejkov » Sun Dec 13, 2009 4:28 pm

red lights are my favourite :grin
vrm-vrm --> tinu-ninu
license and registration please
Renault Mégane II 1.6i 16V VVT Privilège Luxe Hatchback 5dr Ottoman Blue '04

davelowe
Driving Legend

Postby davelowe » Sun Dec 13, 2009 11:34 pm

How much do you pay the police to go away?!
Silver 08 plate 5dr 1.5dci Dynamique 106 Tech Run (re-mapped)

Red 03 plate 5dr 1.9 Dynamique dci120

Best advice for Megane owners: sell it before it bankrupts you!

andywills
Advanced Driver
Currently Drives:: 04 Megane 1.6e 16V VVT

Postby andywills » Tue Dec 15, 2009 10:43 am

Easy solution to not get fined/pulled over....guaranteed to work everytime...

don't speed, don't run red lights, don't drive and use your phone, keep your car maintained...it's not that difficult..

what's the problem?

if you're speeding and get caught, who's fault is it? the speed camera or the driver speeding?

:banghead
Renault Megané Dynamique 1.6e 16v VVT 2004

coupe59

Postby coupe59 » Wed Dec 16, 2009 2:37 pm

If I get a ticket I get a ticket thats not the main thing I was askin about, But there must b some great drivers if they can come down a 15% at exactly 30mp! Im sure everyone has driven faster than they should at some point in there life

Plus wanted to know if traffic wardings can screw u over too!

coupe59

Postby coupe59 » Wed Dec 16, 2009 2:39 pm

davelowe wrote:How much do you pay the police to go away?!

Not got a clue but when u find out make sure u pass it on lol

Return to “Everything Else”