Why was the Mégane given its name?

A place for chat, jokes or anything that doesn't fit elsewhere.

Moderators: q292u, Ray, AndyAdmin, Stranger

JackVykios
Currently Drives:: Renault Mégane

Why was the Mégane given its name?

Postby JackVykios » Thu Jun 25, 2009 10:20 pm

I'm currently writing a novel, and, basically, one of the things I do therein is take car names and mix them up a little bit, then include them as pop culture references or whatnot. For instance, a car appears in the book with similarities to the Clio, but since the Clio apparently got its name from one of the muses, I called the in-book equivalent an "Erato". For the record, this isn't Family Guy pop culture, where I'm meant to be funny; it's just to make things a bit more fun for me, to let me be critical if I want and not get sued or whatever, and also to make me seem even more pretentious than I already am.

So, now it's the Mégane's turn, but for the life of me, I can't find meaning behind it (except as a girl's name, but that's no fun to play with), or reasoning for it.

Anyone able to help me out here? Why is the car called a Mégane and not an, oh, I don't know, Juliette or something?

kevinfourlegs
Passed Theory
Currently Drives:: Scenic 1.5 dCi Dynamique Tom Tom

Re: Why was the Mégane given its name?

Postby kevinfourlegs » Fri Aug 15, 2014 10:33 am

I have a book entitled the genesis of an automobile. It is about the phase 1 Megane. The book was not available to the general public, more inhouse. The Megane was codenamed X64 from its conception. On page 54, it says that car names are becoming increasingly invented. The name Twingo comes from twist + swing + tango = twingo. I quote from page 54: name creators are assisted by computers linked to hioghly sophisticated data bases which enable swift access to the terms they need to research. So I would hazard a guess and say that Megane is an invented name. If anybody knows different, please correct me.

Return to “Everything Else”