Trade in Prices

A place for chat, jokes or anything that doesn't fit elsewhere.

Moderators: q292u, Ray, AndyAdmin, Stranger

palmerc

Trade in Prices

Postby palmerc » Tue Feb 15, 2011 10:59 pm

I have had a part exchange price of £2,750 for my Mar 2005 1.9 dci Privilage 74k mls, body work has a few marks, full service history. This is from a Toyota dealer assuming a spend of around £13,500. Has anyone had a better offer?

morganjake1544
Advanced Driver
Currently Drives:: Clio 1.5dCi 88 Dynamique Tom Tom 3 door in Oyster Grey Metallic

Re: Trade in Prices

Postby morganjake1544 » Wed Feb 16, 2011 7:31 pm

Having worked as a Salesman and Sales Manager for 6 years in a Renault dealership my advice would be to focus on the cost to change, not the figure you're being quoted for the p/x.
For example, your new car will cost you £13500 - £2750 = £10750 based on your figures so far. But another dealer might sell you the Toyota with a discount for £12500 but only give you £2250 for yours giving a cost to change of £10250, which is still better.
Part ex figs never reflect the value of the car because the dealers have their own agenda. At what value do they want to show it in their stock? What's the best figure for VAT, profit, tax, etc.?
My advice would be to decide on your new car, tell the dealer there is no p/x, screw him to the floor on price. Shop his nearest competing dealer and ask them if they can beat it, go back to dealer one, screw him some more. When you are convinced the price is rock bottom then ask for mats, flaps, tank of fuel, etc. Say to the salesman you'll buy it TODAY if he agrees. TODAY is the magic word in sales. So he agrees.
NOWWWWWWWWWWW!! say "my sister has decided not to have my old Megane. What's the best price you can give me?" The salesman will now hate you but won't want to lose the sale so will give you a p/x price which you either take or leave and to be honest I'd give it a damn good clean and flog it privately unless your happy with the cost to change.
Good luck. Show no mercy.
As you may have gathered I don't work in the motor trade anymore.
Clio 1.5 dCi 88 Dynamique Tom Tom in Oyster Grey + Twingo GT in Pearl Black on a '58'.

davelowe
Driving Legend

Postby davelowe » Thu Feb 17, 2011 10:34 pm

Morgan makes a good case.

One further point. Go onto the webuyanycar website and get a free valuation for your car. Then add around £600 to the quoted figure - this will be the average dealer mark-up and also the price you would expect to get in a private sale.

If you can afford to buy a second vehicle without part exchange, do so. Sell the old one privately and pocket the £600 yourself.

The part exchange value you have been quoted is reasonable.
Silver 08 plate 5dr 1.5dci Dynamique 106 Tech Run (re-mapped)

Red 03 plate 5dr 1.9 Dynamique dci120

Best advice for Megane owners: sell it before it bankrupts you!

TubaPlayer
Learner Driver
Currently Drives:: 2004 (54) Black Megane 2.0T Privilege CC

Postby TubaPlayer » Tue Feb 22, 2011 5:32 pm

webuyanycar prices seem to vary greatly, I use them for a pricing excercise and sometimes they are spot on and others they can be less than half the realistic price. It seems to depend on if the car would fit into their (or Car Craft's) market place.
Megane 2004 2.0T Black Privilege CC, Xenons, Sat Nav, Cruise Control, Full Leather, Rear Parking Sensors (Colour Coded)
Previously: Megane 2003 2.0 16V Black Dymanique Sport Hatch

Return to “Everything Else”