Wont let me test drive

Name and shame the good and bad dealers so people know where to use and where to avoid

Moderators: q292u, Ray, AndyAdmin, Stranger

gillyd88
Learner Driver

Wont let me test drive

Postby gillyd88 » Wed Feb 04, 2009 10:43 pm

Well im buying a megane sport diesel this month but the dealers wont let me test drive!!

As soon as they hear im 20 then they state that their insurance will not cover me and there is no way around it! Im not buying a car without test driving it 1st so it seems they are shooting themselves in the foot really.

The only way i can get a feel for the car is if i arranged my own ins (my policy wont let me do this) or go out with one of them driving.

I was wondering if anyone out there knows if the dealers are lying and there is a way around, i think they think im a bit of a timewaster. Im buying 2nd hand but still spending 13k so they should at least let me test drive. Any suggestions?

Cheers
Gilly- Megane 2008 3dr 2.0dci Renaultsport lux in Ultra Blue

Ray
Site Admin
Currently Drives:: 2005 Megane Privilege - Now Sold

Re: Wont let me test drive

Postby Ray » Thu Feb 05, 2009 4:14 pm

50/50 on the timewaster part.

they might think you are... but they might really have to stick to company policy as well if you're not insured.
would you let someone uninsured drive your car? the driver might be great but it doesn't stop someone else crashing into you. especially in these snowy conditions.

my friends (21 and 19yr couple) test drove a new MX-5. i think he was ok but she wasn't allowed to drive it at all due to age. they compromised and he or the sales guy drove it out to a quiet business park and they drove it around there for 10-15 mins.

Return to “Dealers”