Renault Wigan

Name and shame the good and bad dealers so people know where to use and where to avoid

Moderators: q292u, Ray, AndyAdmin, Stranger

bassitio
Currently Drives:: 57 plate Renault Megane 1.4 16v sport hatch extreme

Renault Wigan

Postby bassitio » Tue Apr 24, 2012 12:55 pm

I work for Wigan renault and would like to invite anyone down who is in search of an amazing deal as well as unbeatable customer service.

My names Chris Bassett if anyone has any enquiries contact me on 01942 225565 and I will do my best to assist you.

pomtraveloap1

Re: Renault Wigan

Postby pomtraveloap1 » Sun Jul 15, 2012 5:02 pm

Chris. Live in Chorley. Have a Meganne 2 Privilege 1.6vvt. 07. It has only done 23ooo miles, but as it is 5yrs old, I was recommended to have the timing belt replaced. At this sort of mileage I really feel that it is over the top. I was informed that Renault say that I have to have two belts and rollers, and quoted a price of just over £300 for fitting.. I dont think this is on for a car with only such low mileage. Any comments from an expert ?.

morganjake1544
Advanced Driver
Currently Drives:: Clio 1.5dCi 88 Dynamique Tom Tom 3 door in Oyster Grey Metallic

Postby morganjake1544 » Mon Jul 16, 2012 3:53 pm

Dear Pomtraveloap1, whilst I am not Chris, may I offer my opinion?

The belts deteriorate over time as well as mileage and the replacement schedule is 72,000 or 5 years whichever comes first. Even though your car has only covered 23k I would advise you to get the work done. My car had only covered 30k when the belts were changed and they had already begun to fray slightly.

I would recommend the following:-

Change the timing belt and pulley/tensioner.
Change the accessories belt.
Change the water pump. (Probably nothing wrong with the pump but they only cost £25 and add 15 minutes to labour cost if done when belts are already off, but done separately later on will need 3 hours labour and the belts off again.)

A good independent garage should do all this for under £250.

As to not doing anything at all, you are merely delaying the inevitable and at the same time gambling it will be fine. I would bite the bullet and pay the £250 because if you are unlucky and the timing belt snaps then the costs to repair/replace your engine will be £1000s not £100s.

I will be in the same position as you next year when my wife's Twingo is 5 years old. By then it may have covered 8,000 miles!

:)
Clio 1.5 dCi 88 Dynamique Tom Tom in Oyster Grey + Twingo GT in Pearl Black on a '58'.

davelowe
Driving Legend

Postby davelowe » Mon Jul 16, 2012 10:13 pm

This is good advice. I seem to recall that the mileage is halved on short trip cars. I may be wrong. Best check the service manual.
Silver 08 plate 5dr 1.5dci Dynamique 106 Tech Run (re-mapped)

Red 03 plate 5dr 1.9 Dynamique dci120

Best advice for Megane owners: sell it before it bankrupts you!

Return to “Dealers”