Alloys/Lowering/Removing bumper inserts

Info on parts and accessories for the Mégane II, what to use and where to buy them.

Moderators: q292u, Ray, AndyAdmin, Stranger

Charles
Currently Drives:: 1.4 Megane Dynamique With Panoramic Roof

Alloys/Lowering/Removing bumper inserts

Postby Charles » Fri Feb 27, 2009 11:14 pm

Hi, Just a few quick questions since i cant seem to find any real info anywhere else.

Firstly, alloys, going to go for a set of 18's, i know the pcd is 4x100, and i think the offset is about 45, Whats the closest rolling diameter to my original 16's, with 205/55 profile tyres, i caluclated it basically to being around 215/35/18, but just wondered if this was correct, also, i know the rolling radius will be out trip computer wont register right speedo will be out blah blah, but which way round will the speedo be out if the rolling radius is larger than the original. For instance, if im showing 30, will i be going faster or slower with a larger rolling radius.

Another question, what are the largest drop lowering springs anyone does for the Megane, what companies and prices, yet again, ive searched around and only come across one set, which were on ebay, which were only a 30mm drop, which isn't really enough. i was tempted to just get a set of lowering springs and cut them down to the required size, and before anyone says its dangerous i already know the rules surrounding spring cutting/mots/the law and such, aslong as the spring isnt loose when the car is jacked up its legal and such and such, but im just wondering if anyone does a larger drop for the megane before i chop some 30mms down a little bit, also im not a complete novice at things like that, im an engineer so it wont be the average hacksawed through springs, id make sure there cut to the exact same size and stuff, just wondering if theres a kit about 60mm or so i might just try that one out.

Also, Front and rear bumper inserts, how do i go about removing them, im carbon fibre skinning my bumpstrips, ive done the side ones which are simple to remove, however, i dont really know how to go about removing the front and rear inserts, and just wondered if anyone here has any info, are they like the door/rear quarter strips, which are removed externally, or do i need to remove the bumpers to remove the strips? if theres by any chance a guide on here could anyone provide a link as i had a little search but didnt find anything.

And if anyone has any pictures of a lowered megane on 18's, especially in ottoman blue, and a 3 door, id be extremely happy to see them :D

Cheers

MrAsia
Advanced Driver

Re: Alloys/Lowering/Removing bumper inserts

Postby MrAsia » Sat Feb 28, 2009 3:40 am

Bumpers need to come off to remove the inserts.
Remapped Mégane 1.6L

Jonault
Advanced Driver

Postby Jonault » Sat Feb 28, 2009 8:36 pm

Use a tyre calculator such as this:

https://www.alloywheels.com/tyrecalc.asp

There is a thread somewhere on this site with pictures of members cars. I'm sure I've seen 18" wheels on some photos.
1.4 Hatch, Ottoman Blue, 55 Reg, Dynamique

Paddy
F1 Driver
Currently Drives:: Megane Saloon 2.0 VVT Dynamique

Postby Paddy » Mon Mar 02, 2009 8:07 pm

If you get a chance fella would you throw up a picture of the carbon fiber bump strips.

I would like a look at that...

I have Koni springs which gave me a drop of -45mm i think a tad more after they bedded in.

P

AlexB
Driving Legend
Currently Drives:: Renaultsport R.S.250 Cup

Postby AlexB » Mon Mar 02, 2009 8:40 pm

The steering computer needs to be reprogrammed when increasing from 16'' to any larger diametre.
AlexB
(no, a different AlexB)

Paddy
F1 Driver
Currently Drives:: Megane Saloon 2.0 VVT Dynamique

Postby Paddy » Mon Mar 02, 2009 9:08 pm

AlexB wrote:The steering computer needs to be reprogrammed when increasing from 16'' to any larger diametre.

but cant you have 17/18 with the same rolling radius as 16s? Just low pro tyres?

P

AlexB
Driving Legend
Currently Drives:: Renaultsport R.S.250 Cup

Postby AlexB » Mon Mar 02, 2009 10:35 pm

This is not about the running diameter. Low profile tyres need a different steering setup. You know, some people complain about the steering being too light or lacking feedback -- this can be corrected to some extent. Read the manual for details.
AlexB
(no, a different AlexB)

Charles
Currently Drives:: 1.4 Megane Dynamique With Panoramic Roof

Postby Charles » Thu Mar 05, 2009 10:21 am

aslong as the wheels run on the same rolling radius its fine, doesnt particularly affect the steering to the degree of not being able to steer so its not too bad, and ill get the pics of the carbon bumpstrips up at somepoint

Return to “Parts and Accessories”