Oil, filter and anything else???

Info on parts and accessories for the Mégane II, what to use and where to buy them.

Moderators: q292u, Ray, AndyAdmin, Stranger

mcmurr4y
Learner Driver
Currently Drives:: FN2 Type-R

Oil, filter and anything else???

Postby mcmurr4y » Thu Dec 18, 2008 12:09 am

Car's still not near its service interval yet but I'm changing the oil to be safe. 18,000 miles i far too much. :conf

Need some advice. I've done a search but it doesnt bring up what I need to know. :banghead

----------------------------------------------------------------------------
Oil
should I use 0w40 or 5w40? And which brand? Is Castrol Edge Turbo Diesel 5w40 any good?

Filter
Opie oils do a service pack, filter and oil. Should I stick to a genuine Renault filter or the UFI ones they do?

Sump plug washer
Do I need to replace this?
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Any help would be appreciated,

Cheers, Ryan :cool:

Toosh
Advanced Driver
Currently Drives:: 03 Megane 1.9 dCi 120 Dynamique Sport Hatch in Black.
Nervasport alloys, Comfort Pack, Full Leather interior, 6 Disc CD Changer,
Panoramic Roof, and loads more stuff.

Re: Oil, filter and anything else???

Postby Toosh » Thu Dec 18, 2008 7:38 am

Hi ive just done my dCi a few weeks ago, this is what i did -

Oil - Mobil 1 Turbo Diesel 0w40 about 40 quid for 15 liters from Halfools

Filter - Got mine from the stealer, price £7.86. Part number 8200274858

Sump plug washer - I didn't change mine :oops:

Hope this helps :)
Black 03 Megane dCi 120 Dynamique Sport Hatch. Gone but not forgotten.
Black 56 Pug 207 GT 1.6 Turbo

mcmurr4y
Learner Driver

Postby mcmurr4y » Thu Dec 18, 2008 9:35 am

Toosh wrote:Hi ive just done my dCi a few weeks ago, this is what i did -

Oil - Mobil 1 Turbo Diesel 0w40 about 40 quid for 15 liters from Halfools

Filter - Got mine from the stealer, price £7.86. Part number 8200274858

Sump plug washer - I didn't change mine :oops:

Hope this helps :)

Cheers for the advice,

How good is the mobil1 between changes. I dont think I'm going to change mine as often as you so would like something thats going to be good for at least 9000 miles.

And if anyone has the part number for the washer, it would be great, will save me time in renault as they know nothing half the time. :cool:

anth_dci
Advanced Driver
Currently Drives:: Megane II DCi 120 Dynamique 52 plate

Postby anth_dci » Thu Dec 18, 2008 1:45 pm

i didnt bother with changing the washer either. I know your supposed to but i had to unscrew quite away before any oil started coming out so didnt see the point. Definitely get the filter from the dealers as its not that expensive and you know your getting the right one. I used castrol edge turbo diesel 0w30 because i knew it was coming upto winter so the car would take longer to warm up. I cant fault it. Ive done 4000miles since replacing it.

also when servicing check the PAS, brake/clutch, coolant fluid levels and top up if needed.

Also check your brake pads make sure there is plenty of meat left on them and that each axle has roughly the same wear so you know you are getting even braking. Make sure the is not a large lip on the edge of the disk, indicating they are nearing the end of their life.

If you dont have an induction kit then check/replace your air filter. I would really recommend a K&N replacement panel. Usually between 25 and 35 quid and last forever, so after a couple of services you have made your money back and got a better filter. Image
Megane II dynamique 1.9 DCI 120bhp, 5 door, 52 plate.

mcmurr4y
Learner Driver

Postby mcmurr4y » Thu Dec 18, 2008 5:07 pm

anth_dci wrote:i didnt bother with changing the washer either. I know your supposed to but i had to unscrew quite away before any oil started coming out so didnt see the point. Definitely get the filter from the dealers as its not that expensive and you know your getting the right one. I used castrol edge turbo diesel 0w30 because i knew it was coming upto winter so the car would take longer to warm up. I cant fault it. Ive done 4000miles since replacing it.

also when servicing check the PAS, brake/clutch, coolant fluid levels and top up if needed.

Also check your brake pads make sure there is plenty of meat left on them and that each axle has roughly the same wear so you know you are getting even braking. Make sure the is not a large lip on the edge of the disk, indicating they are nearing the end of their life.

If you dont have an induction kit then check/replace your air filter. I would really recommend a K&N replacement panel. Usually between 25 and 35 quid and last forever, so after a couple of services you have made your money back and got a better filter. Image

thanks for the advice,

all the other levels are good and brakes still have a bit of life in them yet. I'll have a hunt on ebay for a k and n and see what comes up. Think ill go with the 0w40 mobil though.

WebCode
Rally Driver

Postby WebCode » Thu Dec 18, 2008 5:52 pm

mcmurr4y wrote:Is Castrol Edge Turbo Diesel 5w40 any good?

A: Perfect

Opie oils do a service pack, filter and oil. Should I stick to a genuine Renault filter or the UFI ones they do?

A: Genuine (purflux) available from Eurocarparts for £2.79

Sump plug washer

A: Recommended
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

EX Renault Dealer Technician & MOT Tester, Not a Monkey!

mcmurr4y
Learner Driver

Postby mcmurr4y » Thu Dec 18, 2008 6:31 pm

WebCode wrote:
mcmurr4y wrote:Is Castrol Edge Turbo Diesel 5w40 any good?

A: Perfect

A: Genuine (purflux) available from Eurocarparts for £2.79

Sump plug washer

A: Recommended

Good stuff. Im not too clued up on oil but the castrol edge was recommended so ill maybe go with that.

Return to “Parts and Accessories”