Good brand of brake pads??

Info on parts and accessories for the Mégane II, what to use and where to buy them.

Moderators: q292u, Ray, AndyAdmin, Stranger

scoop
Advanced Driver

Good brand of brake pads??

Postby scoop » Thu Mar 27, 2008 7:41 pm

Anyone know of a good brand of brake pads for my meg 1.6 04 plate??? I said in a previous post i prefer Ferodo but no one seems to stock them any more. I have always replaced with ferodo on all my cars but they seem to be harder to track down for my meg. I noticed the ones on the car are marked ferodos which must mean that renault put them on when my motor was built.
Kind Regards
Scoop

04 Megane Dynamique 1.6 VVT 16V / Cherished plate / In Black 5 door / Lexus lights, Mint!!
"Shut Ya mouth and give Ya Arse a chance"!

IainMW
F1 Driver
Currently Drives:: Laguna III 2.0dCi 150 Dynamique Hatchback. Pearl Black, Panoramic Sunroof, Front & Rear Proximity Sensors, 17" Spider Alloys (with B****y expensive tyres on!)

Re: Good brand of brake pads??

Postby IainMW » Fri Mar 28, 2008 11:30 am

Green Stuff are supposed to be very good but you will have to change all 4 corners I believe? AlexB has posted about this many times

Have you tried Ferodo website to find a supplier in yor area?
https://www.ferodo.co.uk/ferodo_home/
If it's got genuine Renault pads in now and they are Ferodo, why not buy some more?

Just a thought :cool:
Make improvements, not excuses!
Laguna III 2.0dCi 150 Dynamique Hatch. Pearl Black, Panoramic Sunroof, Front & Rear Proximity Sensors, 17" Spider Alloys (with B****y expensive tyres fitted!)

GTDave
Just Passed
Currently Drives:: 08 Megane 2.0DCi GT 150 Mineral Blue 3 Door Sport hatch - Tune Point - Folding Mirrors - Handsfree Card - Phone Kit

Postby GTDave » Fri Mar 28, 2008 12:33 pm

I put green stuff pads on my clio and they are rubish...

They are designed to be a fast road pad that work better when at higher temperatures... the ferodo pads that were on there before were much better.

Yep the standard renault pads are made by ferodo...

you could try a renault dealer as they sell them... bought some for a 53 reg 1.4 16v clio from Renault wolverhampton for £30...

other than that I think demon tweeks sell em...
https://www.demon-tweeks.co.uk

AlexB
Driving Legend
Currently Drives:: Renaultsport R.S.250 Cup

Postby AlexB » Fri Mar 28, 2008 4:08 pm

GreenStuff pads work fine at low temperatures as well. Their friction coefficient is higher than of a standard pad, so they feel stronger when hot or cold. They are also kind on disks due to Kevlar fiber replacing steel in the compound. Read their description at EBC web site. Please do not confuse them with various racing pads.

My standard front pads had a label Bosch on them. There was a significant improvement in braking when switched to GreenStuff.
AlexB
(no, a different AlexB)

GTDave
Just Passed
Currently Drives:: 08 Megane 2.0DCi GT 150 Mineral Blue 3 Door Sport hatch - Tune Point - Folding Mirrors - Handsfree Card - Phone Kit

Postby GTDave » Fri Mar 28, 2008 4:31 pm

Hmm maybe they just seem to have a better application on other models but my experience wasn't good... they were genuine EBC green stuff pads purchased from eurocarparts.com

A couple of other people I have spoken to (my mates dad with a scenic) also had a similar problem...

That said I do know that people who have put them on other cars have had good results! as it was my brother who suggested them after fitting them to his Monaro VXR...

Also i could have tricked myself into thinking my old pads were better just because I was expecting these ones to be some form of margic mirracle pad...

in the end i guess it will only cost you tens of pounds to find out either way...

Not wanting to Hijak your thread what are peoples thoughts on changing pads and discs together... stealership told me to always do both together, but I have always had 2 or 3 sets of pads before changing discs...

scoop
Advanced Driver

Postby scoop » Fri Mar 28, 2008 7:41 pm

[quote="IainMW"]
Have you tried Ferodo website to find a supplier in yor area?
https://www.ferodo.co.uk/ferodo_home/
If it's got genuine Renault pads in now and they are Ferodo, why not buy some more?
quote]

Yeah treid the website with little success. In my area according to the site no one stocks them anymore, also spoke to few car part supplies places and they all stopped stocking them. One guy who i have dealt with for years said that ferodo went into the high performance sector and no one really stocks them anymore. I did find out the part number FDB 1544 which is about as much use as a fart in a public convinence!
Looks like I be looking for another brand, I even emailed ferodo Uk but not got any replies.

Regards
Kind Regards
Scoop

04 Megane Dynamique 1.6 VVT 16V / Cherished plate / In Black 5 door / Lexus lights, Mint!!

AlexB
Driving Legend
Currently Drives:: Renaultsport R.S.250 Cup

Postby AlexB » Fri Mar 28, 2008 10:44 pm

These are the figures from the last MOT (4 y.o. car) with EBC GreenStuff. Test on the drums, brake force: front -- 400, 400; rear -- 200, 210; h/brake -- 200, 190. The front disks are original, the rears are new as the original were damaged by Renault in the first year. The new pads give a very reassuring feeling of progressive braking and being able to virtually stand the car on the front wheels. The car is regularly serviced and the brakes are bled every year.

It is not to say that I am criticising Ferrodo. I used them in the past in a different car. They are just good quality regular pads, possibly the best to Halfords standards...
AlexB
(no, a different AlexB)

scoop
Advanced Driver

Postby scoop » Mon Mar 31, 2008 8:27 pm

Well i settled for Apec brakes, proberbly not the best but all I could get my hands on. However very easy to change both back and front apart from the piston on the rear brakes which is a sod to twist and push in to get the new pads in. My 2004 pads were extremly worn and i was suprised at just how much ware they had suffered in 24000 miles! Must be my driving, also discovered rear brakes were binding on and have noticed a nice boost in performance and fuel consumption.

Oh and just on a side note make sure you get the right ones as the 1.4 pads are different from the 1.6 pads. The guy in shop was adiment they were the same when I noticed 1.4 on the back of the pack. I asked him to check and sure enough I was right, he apologised rightly but I wonder how many have been sold like that in the past??
Regards
Kind Regards
Scoop

scoop
Advanced Driver

Postby scoop » Mon Apr 07, 2008 8:47 pm

Been a week with my new Apec pads now. After a disaster with bleeding the brakes and needing my brother to bleed them again with his flushing bleeder kit, all seems ok. The brakes have beded in well and have made a vast improvement. Apec seem to be a good quailty replacment to the OE ones
Kind Regards
Scoop

Return to “Parts and Accessories”