Megane 11 exhaust, stainless or not

Info on parts and accessories for the Mégane II, what to use and where to buy them.

Moderators: q292u, Ray, AndyAdmin, Stranger

cyclonebri1
Pass Plus
Currently Drives:: Badly

Megane 11 exhaust, stainless or not

Postby cyclonebri1 » Mon Jan 07, 2008 6:12 pm

When I was flicking through the haynes manual I noticed the coment which went approx;

"Renault say the exhaust system is of stainless steel, so corrosion should be less of a problem"

Its just that I interpreted that as we don't actually know if its true or not.

So are they all stainless? Ive never heard anything of this before,

And has anyone had to replace one yet?

davelowe
Driving Legend

Postby davelowe » Mon Jan 07, 2008 10:45 pm

Dissolve as much salt as you can in 1 pint of boiling water, pour it over a non visible / important part of the exhaust pipe, then inspect after 24 hours. If it's still shiny the chances are that it is 304/316 stainless. If it has a hole in it or is obviously rusty, then, well it's bog standard galvanised carbon steel.

NOTE: USE THIS ACTION AT YOUR OWN RISK!
Silver 08 plate 5dr 1.5dci Dynamique 106 Tech Run (re-mapped)

Red 03 plate 5dr 1.9 Dynamique dci120

Best advice for Megane owners: sell it before it bankrupts you!

ICEMAN
Advanced Driver
Currently Drives:: Renault Megane II 1.5DCi + Lexus RX 300

Postby ICEMAN » Mon Jan 07, 2008 11:13 pm

dave....i like it

hahahahahaahahahahahah

NOTE TO SELF: DO NOT TRY THIS ON OWN CAR

ahahhaha
Black Megane - Black Tints - Black 18" Rims with Chrome - Angel Eyes - Shark Fin - Tail Fins - Kenwood DNX7200 - ipod Video -Hertz Space 6.5" Components - PG Ti500.4 - MTX 9544-15" Sub - Orion D5000 - Audison Cabling - Optima Power = NICE

cyclonebri1
Pass Plus
Currently Drives:: Badly

Postby cyclonebri1 » Tue Jan 08, 2008 8:34 am

davelowe wrote:Dissolve as much salt as you can in 1 pint of boiling water, pour it over a non visible / important part of the exhaust pipe, then inspect after 24 hours. If it's still shiny the chances are that it is 304/316 stainless. If it has a hole in it or is obviously rusty, then, well it's bog standard galvanised carbon steel.

NOTE: USE THIS ACTION AT YOUR OWN RISK!

Can't remember what grade aftermarket stainless exhausts are made of but I fitted one on my last car and after 2 years it just looked like rusty mild steel so s/s is not trully stainless in the type used for exhausts. 10 years later it still looked exactly the same. The magnet test wont work either for this type.

Don't worry, your humour doesn't escape me :cool:

Just wondered if something got lost in translation as Renault haven't seemed to make a play of it.

Did wonder if

Return to “Parts and Accessories”