Changing your own break pads and discs?

Info on parts and accessories for the Mégane II, what to use and where to buy them.

Moderators: q292u, Ray, AndyAdmin, Stranger

DaveExtreme
Learner Driver

Changing your own break pads and discs?

Postby DaveExtreme » Mon Dec 03, 2007 10:32 pm

Mine need changing, thought I would save a bit of cash and buy them myself and also fit them. Can anyone recomend some resonable priced pads and discs, not too expensive I have a megane 1.4 extreme. Also does anyone know if there are any guides on line on how to change them, is it difficult to do?

Cheers

cactusbob
Advanced Driver

Postby cactusbob » Tue Dec 04, 2007 8:28 am

Can't recommend you any but it's quite easy to do. Get yourself a Haynes manual for the best way to do it, but it's pretty obvious if you've ever changed them on a car before
225 5dr FF + Xenons
http://www.meganesport.net

DaveExtreme
Learner Driver

Postby DaveExtreme » Tue Dec 04, 2007 8:41 am

Ok, cheers will get one of e-bay.
Also one more question when you change your front discs do you need to change the back as well?

R55VYS
Advanced Driver

Postby R55VYS » Tue Dec 04, 2007 11:34 am

DaveExtreme wrote:Ok, cheers will get one of e-bay.
Also one more question when you change your front discs do you need to change the back as well?

No. if you change one side, ie N/S you MUST change the other.

Front pads are dead easy to change, not sure about the discs. as said above get a hays manual.

Deano16v
Advanced Driver

Postby Deano16v » Sat Dec 15, 2007 5:33 pm

shouldnt be too difficult, just take your time with it. get yourself a wire brush, some and some copper slip too for good measure if you havent already got some
DCi 120 for sale, 52,000 miles, £3250 ono

BurntCarcus
Learner Driver
Currently Drives:: Grand Scenic 2008 1.9Dci (130)

Postby BurntCarcus » Sat Dec 22, 2007 11:34 am

Have to get mine done myself, though i dont think id trust myself with something as important as brakes so ill leave it in and have reno charge me a fortune no doubt. Just out of intrest, they dont need to take the bumper off for changing disks and pads do they? Will have to take my led lights off if they do.
Back from Zafira hell....... Good to be home. Number 3 scenic bought and "im lovin it"

onlydiesels

Postby onlydiesels » Sat Dec 22, 2007 11:43 am

no don`t worry,they wont have to touch bumper at all. it`s a very straightforward job to change discs + pads. why not go to a good independant garage + save yourself a few quid?

BurntCarcus
Learner Driver
Currently Drives:: Grand Scenic 2008 1.9Dci (130)

Postby BurntCarcus » Sat Dec 22, 2007 11:48 am

I know i should really do it myself, i do have a haynes manual so im sure its easy enough to follow. I get paranoid enough after having a wheel off lol "did i put them back on right?" etc lol
Back from Zafira hell....... Good to be home. Number 3 scenic bought and "im lovin it"

onlydiesels

Postby onlydiesels » Sat Dec 22, 2007 12:00 pm

IF you are going to attack it yourself but are a bit unsure,jack up both sides,remove both wheels,then you can use the `unfixed` side as a reference to check you`ve got it back together right. give yourself plenty of time to do it,then you can take your time + double check everything if you`re unsure.
you`ll feel better knowing that you`ve saved a few quid as well (just don`t let the missus know that you`ve got money left over :lol:)

Bumpy macaroon
Advanced Driver
Currently Drives:: a megane.................doh

Postby Bumpy macaroon » Sun Dec 23, 2007 7:47 pm

good tip that, plus look for torque settings and tighten bolts to that, in particular wheel bolts which you should check again later after a bit of driving
Bumpy and full of coconuts.
05 1.4 Otto blue Rush Mods: Keyed by some B*%"£~!, interior LEDs
57 106 dci Silver Dynamique Mods: Daughters first baby adidas trainers, Interior LEDs, self made MP3 adaptor

swones

Postby swones » Fri Jan 11, 2008 8:59 pm

I did just my front pads a couple of weeks ago, £25 for the pads and an hour of my time. Very easy job for anyone who's tinkered with cars before. The pads I bought didn't come with any new mounting clips though but I just cleaned up the old ones, probably have to go to renault to get new ones. They did come with new caliper bolts though with the locking compound already applied to the threads. I shudder to think what a dealer would charge for the same job! hehe

Simon.

Return to “Parts and Accessories”