Roofbar fitting problems

Info on parts and accessories for the Mégane II, what to use and where to buy them.

Moderators: q292u, Ray, AndyAdmin, Stranger

8ightball

Roofbar fitting problems

Postby 8ightball » Mon Nov 05, 2007 7:33 pm

Have just purchased a set of genuine renault megane roofbars from Ebay. Tried fitting them the other day. Opened little latch on roof. There is a bolt into the roof. In the middle of the bolt is a hole which a smaller bolt on the roofbar screws into. Slight problem - there is a plastic screw already in the hole. When I tried undoing it with a screw driver, the head went round and round then fell off leaving the rest of the plastic screw in the bolt hole. The exact same thing happened to the next screw. I then gave up. What am I doing wrong? How are you supposed to get the plastic screw out? How do I now get the rest of the plastic screw from the middle of the bolt hole? Anyone had a similar problem?
Renault Megane 53/2003 1.6 VV Dynamique

Ray
Site Admin
Currently Drives:: 2005 Megane Privilege - Now Sold

Postby Ray » Tue Nov 06, 2007 12:08 am

common problem.. someone will answer who had the same issue. i think they drilled it out.. but i'm not sure on that.

Neil
Passed Theory

Postby Neil » Mon Nov 12, 2007 7:24 pm

I had a similar problem but mine ws the fact that mine were just pushed in and didn't need unscrewing. If you screw a very small screw in and try pulling it out you may be able to get it out that way.
1.9DCI 120BHP Privilage

cactusbob
Advanced Driver

Postby cactusbob » Mon Nov 12, 2007 8:45 pm

Drill em out :)
225 5dr FF + Xenons
http://www.meganesport.net

8ightball

Postby 8ightball » Wed Feb 06, 2008 8:47 pm

I drilled the plastic screws out of the bolt holes but the bolts from the roof bars would not screw into it, I think I ruined the threads with the drill. In the end I bought some more bolts from Renault Dealership @ £1.86 each. The plastic caps came off no problem and the roof bar bolts threaded into them very nicely. The Roofbars are now on my Megane. Thanks!!

Return to “Parts and Accessories”