Roofbar/Cycle Carrier Question

Info on parts and accessories for the Mégane II, what to use and where to buy them.

Moderators: q292u, Ray, AndyAdmin, Stranger

06Megane

Roofbar/Cycle Carrier Question

Postby 06Megane » Mon Oct 01, 2007 7:31 am

Hello

I`m looking for some roofbars for my 06 Megane 5 door hatchback, on eBay there are lots of auctions for the Megane Scenic. Do the roofbars for the Scenic fit the Megane Hatchback too?

Secondly, I often see these cycle carriers hanging off the rear end of cars, because of the unique shape of the boot do these cycle carriers fit the Megane Hatchback?

Thanks

Craig

Gav
Advanced Driver
Currently Drives:: Sport Tourer, 1.5 dCi 106

Postby Gav » Tue Oct 02, 2007 12:07 pm

I don't know about the hatch, since I have an estate with bars, but you could check out Thule and see what they suggest. There's plenty of places (online and offline) that sell the bits. No idea on the rear carrier.
06 Extreme Blue 1.5dCi 106 Dynamique Sport Tourer with panoramic sunroof and Dension Gateway

steben69
Passed Theory
Currently Drives:: Renault Grand Scenic,DCI100,Dynamique,glass roof,tinted windows,cotton green airfilter...not really done much with it yet...

Postby steben69 » Thu Oct 11, 2007 6:56 pm

hi,yeh i have roofbars,think there the same as the scienic,same roofline,as far as a cycle carrier,try one that fits teh roofbars,or is that your idea?..
1.5DCI,window tints,rear spoiler,17"Nervasport alloy wheels,falken452 tyres,K-Tec tinning box....

ian_2
Passed Theory

Postby ian_2 » Mon Oct 15, 2007 9:12 pm

I've got the original Megane roof bars from ebay for about £70 2nd hand.

Don't get one that attaches with straps, they bend and scratch panels and can fall off. Seen it many times when people came in (when I worked in a bike shop) for insurance valuations for their bikes.

Heres mine anyway.

gjp112n

bike rake

Postby gjp112n » Mon Dec 31, 2007 9:50 am

I have a '56 megane tourer and will need to be able to transport 2 bikes - anybody care to make any recommendations ?

gjp112n

Postby gjp112n » Thu Jan 03, 2008 3:42 pm

<bump>
anybody ?

ianrav

Roofbars + Sunroof

Postby ianrav » Sun Jan 20, 2008 12:51 am

hi,

I notice that all roofbar manufacturers exclude meganes with the sunroof. I assume this due to clearance when the sunroof is opened with the roof bars in place. However, has anyone used roofbars on a car with a sunroof?

gjp112n

beware !

Postby gjp112n » Mon Feb 04, 2008 11:32 am

I have just bought a Strap-on Rack made by Pendle Bike Racks on the grounds there web site said (and currently still says) that it is suitable for the Megane Estate 2002 on.

Open rack, read instructions - 'do not attach to plastic spoilers'. Email Pendle saying the top of the tailgate is plastic, they say 'you need the window attachments'.
Email again saying can you confirm that the configuration with window attachements is suitable - their response -
"No I'm sorry we do not recommend the use because it would be too fiddly and we could not guarantee this would solve the problem."

so don't believe everything on their web site !

Gav
Advanced Driver
Currently Drives:: Sport Tourer, 1.5 dCi 106

Re: Roofbars + Sunroof

Postby Gav » Mon Feb 04, 2008 1:19 pm

ianrav wrote:hi,

I notice that all roofbar manufacturers exclude meganes with the sunroof. I assume this due to clearance when the sunroof is opened with the roof bars in place. However, has anyone used roofbars on a car with a sunroof?

I think that you are OK as long as the roof is not opened with the bars in place. Otherwise why fit the side bars on my estate if I can't ever use them! I'm certainly going to use my roofbox when I need to.
06 Extreme Blue 1.5dCi 106 Dynamique Sport Tourer with panoramic sunroof and Dension Gateway

GTDave
Just Passed
Currently Drives:: 08 Megane 2.0DCi GT 150 Mineral Blue 3 Door Sport hatch - Tune Point - Folding Mirrors - Handsfree Card - Phone Kit

Re: Roofbar/Cycle Carrier Question

Postby GTDave » Wed Mar 19, 2008 1:33 pm

Along a similar note I am waiting for my sport hatch to arrive, and currently have 2 bike carriers on roof racks on my clio so will be in the market for some new bars...

Are the bars for the 3door and 5 door the same? as I think the mounting points are the same arent they???

Cheers

tallpaul
Pass Plus

Re: Roofbars + Sunroof

Postby tallpaul » Fri Mar 21, 2008 10:24 pm

ianrav wrote:hi,

ian_2's car looks like its got the sunroof or at least a very shiny roof!!

I tried one of my mates rear mounted rack on my megane, it fits the shape of the rear better than his fabia, the problem comes with the bottom straps having nowhere to attach, under the rear is all clad in plastic. I looked at the fitments exclusion list in halfords an the meg isn't on there.
52 Megane dCi 120 Dynamique 5dr ● 18" Team Dynamics Pro Comp II ● OEM clear lights ● OEM RenaultSport 225 Front Bumper ● Yellow Fogs ● Black Roof

cow741
Currently Drives:: Megane 2, 3dr, Black, 1.9dci 120

Postby cow741 » Sun Aug 31, 2008 10:35 pm

ok i am in a similar position to the original poster here, but dont seem to be any closer to a solution!

Am looking to get some roof bars and a bike rack for my megane. 53, 3dr, with panoramic roof.

Are there bars available that will fit ( i assume so given the mounting points) but will this mean that sunroof is not useable when bars are in place?

Also, any recommendations as to decent bars/racks and prices etc? Bit scared of going to Renault, fearing for safety of my wallet and not being able to say no!

Cheers,

megane novice!!
53, dynamique, 1.9dci 120, pearl black, all the options (except cruise and leather)

shinyautos.com
Pass Plus

Postby shinyautos.com » Fri Sep 26, 2008 4:26 pm

I have a set of roof bars for sale megane part and never used, only fitted once and never got around to using them,

£90 including P&P
Adam

tu amigo
Currently Drives:: megane dimonique 1.6vvt 08 black 5door

Postby tu amigo » Fri Oct 03, 2008 12:19 pm

A friend of mine has a cycle rack fitted to the back of his car (mazda) in the form of a tow bar, and the cycle bar can be removed when not in use, and it also pivots so you can open the hatch?? he also uses it when cleaning and doing repairs to his bike.can that idea not be used on the megane?
and where would it be bought?? :idea

tu

tallpaul
Pass Plus

Postby tallpaul » Mon Oct 06, 2008 9:06 am

if you have a towbar of course. The sort you are talking about are universal and i'm sure halfords stock them.

if you don't have a towbar already it'll workout £££!
52 Megane dCi 120 Dynamique 5dr ● 18" Team Dynamics Pro Comp II ● OEM clear lights ● OEM RenaultSport 225 Front Bumper ● Yellow Fogs ● Black Roof

Return to “Parts and Accessories”