F1 HEADLIGHTS

Info on parts and accessories for the Mégane II, what to use and where to buy them.

Moderators: q292u, Ray, AndyAdmin, Stranger

TheFinn
Advanced Driver

Postby TheFinn » Wed Sep 05, 2007 7:30 pm

What bothers me about these AAs are those three leds at the inner corners. Or not the leds per se, but their separate round housings. They look so stuck on. Why did they have to make them like that when the vertical inner corner could have been flat and still have the leds there.

Still I have to say I'm positively surprised how the black version looks in real life fitted to a car. Might even be tempted to fit ones myself after all, especially now I've seen a pair on eBay for about 99€!

But I still think this version looks more mature and coherent:

http://www.raid-rdi.com/produktbilder/610490.jpg

Not the chrome version however but in black which is also available but sadly no picture, though.

ICEMAN
Advanced Driver
Currently Drives:: Renault Megane II 1.5DCi + Lexus RX 300

Postby ICEMAN » Thu Sep 06, 2007 8:18 pm

maaaaan, if they made that for the MK2 i would buy it right now!!!!!

:twisted:

they look as good as i would have hoped they would!!!!

Great Mod mate
Black Megane - Black Tints - Black 18" Rims with Chrome - Angel Eyes - Shark Fin - Tail Fins - Kenwood DNX7200 - ipod Video -Hertz Space 6.5" Components - PG Ti500.4 - MTX 9544-15" Sub - Orion D5000 - Audison Cabling - Optima Power = NICE

Steel
Pass Plus
Currently Drives:: Renault Mégane III 1.5 DCI110

Postby Steel » Fri Sep 14, 2007 1:22 pm

TheFinn wrote:What bothers me about these AAs are those three leds at the inner corners. Or not the leds per se, but their separate round housings. They look so stuck on. Why did they have to make them like that when the vertical inner corner could have been flat and still have the leds there.

Still I have to say I'm positively surprised how the black version looks in real life fitted to a car. Might even be tempted to fit ones myself after all, especially now I've seen a pair on eBay for about 99€!

But I still think this version looks more mature and coherent:

http://www.raid-rdi.com/produktbilder/610490.jpg

Not the chrome version however but in black which is also available but sadly no picture, though.

I would like to see how it looks in black :(
Last edited by Steel on Tue Oct 16, 2007 12:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Renault Mégane III 1.5 DCI110 dynamique
http://www.clubrenaultsverige.com

MrAsia
Advanced Driver

Postby MrAsia » Wed Oct 10, 2007 2:08 pm

jonburton: Did you manage to get the leveling feature working on the angel eyes?
Also is the cut off for the light sharper? Do you have a picture of the headlights against a wall or on the road.

Cheers :D
Remapped Mégane 1.6L

Steel
Pass Plus
Currently Drives:: Renault Mégane III 1.5 DCI110

Postby Steel » Fri Oct 12, 2007 10:43 am

Last edited by Steel on Fri Oct 12, 2007 1:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Renault Mégane III 1.5 DCI110 dynamique
http://www.clubrenaultsverige.com

jonburton
Learner Driver

Postby jonburton » Fri Oct 12, 2007 12:48 pm

Yep I got the levelling to work with the angel eyes. Works just as before using the electric height selector switch. You do have to take the height motors off your old headlights though.

I'll take some photo's in a bit to show the cut off. Overall I wasn't that impressed with the light output with the xenon bulbs - it was quite a bit better just using xenon bulbs in the original headlight. They do look a million times better though :-P
2.0 VVT dynamique coupe/cabriolet, 17" Nervasports, cruise control, negro nacarado

MrAsia
Advanced Driver

Postby MrAsia » Fri Oct 12, 2007 12:58 pm

Well I only got the normal globes, but they're the philips crystal visions, might work better with the projector style headlight.

Photo's would be fantastic!!! :D
Remapped Mégane 1.6L

jonburton
Learner Driver

Postby jonburton » Fri Oct 12, 2007 1:12 pm

here we go. Remember the headlights use H1 style bulbs. I think my xenon H1 bulbs are a bit too long which is causing the dark circle you can see in the photo's against my garage door.

Jon
2.0 VVT dynamique coupe/cabriolet, 17" Nervasports, cruise control, negro nacarado

TheFinn
Advanced Driver

Postby TheFinn » Fri Oct 12, 2007 2:52 pm

@Jon: Yours are the "3 LED version", right? The light/dark barrier in itself looks very nice and sharp despite the xenons causing those dark spots. Did you test them with halogen bulbs at all or go straight for xenons?

I was already on the verge of ordering those black Raid AAs in Steel's post, but finally decided against them. I was afraid I might have problems at the MOT or with the law on the road with xenons installed in non-xenon headlights.

However, I ordered a pair of brand spanking new, original Renault/Valeo xenon headlights instead:

Can't be bothered to set up an auto-levelling system, though, as I'm 95% sure the MOT-ers and traffic cops won't notice it missing. As the headlights are OEM and have an approval for D2S (=xenon) dipped beam and I even have headlight washers as standard, they'll have no reason to suspect it being anything else than factory-fitted. So surely it must have all the other required bells and whistles as well! Except that it hasn't... ;)

These headlights come "with no accessories" i.e. they don't include any bulbs or the integral xenon ballast / aim control box. I ordered a generic D2S-socket HID kit, I'll just have to build holders for its ballast units that screw in the place of the original control boxes at the bottom of the headlight. I'll keep you posted when I have the headlights and have managed to do something to them...

jonburton
Learner Driver

Postby jonburton » Fri Oct 12, 2007 3:34 pm

I did try it with just the halogen bulbs first and the beam output looked perfect. But once you've had xenons you could never go back to halogen.

How much did the factory xenon headlights cost you? I considered these too but was concerned about the auto height adjustment? Can you post up a photo of the back of the light?

Jon

TheFinn
Advanced Driver

Postby TheFinn » Fri Oct 12, 2007 7:01 pm

I agree with you Jon: once you've tasted the xenon goodness there's no going back! :)

The units cost a whopping 360 € the pair. :(

***digs a self-justification spreadsheet out of the drawer***
But I'd managed to clear my garage of some surplus stuff like a set of alloys etc., so self-justifying it like that means the lights were already kind of prepaid for... And selling the current halogen units means on the whole I'll be on the receiving side!
***puts the self-justification spreadsheet back to the drawer***
Last edited by TheFinn on Sat Oct 13, 2007 10:55 am, edited 1 time in total.

MrAsia
Advanced Driver

Postby MrAsia » Sat Oct 13, 2007 12:23 am

Hmmmm, 360 for the pair from renault lol. so expensive.
Remapped Mégane 1.6L

R55VYS
Advanced Driver

Postby R55VYS » Fri Oct 26, 2007 1:49 pm

TheFinn wrote:

I have a pair of these headlights just sat in my bedroom, in as new condition, only prob with them (which isnt really a prob) but theres a cover missing from the back. if anyones intrested, PM me

CanadianMike
Learner Driver

Postby CanadianMike » Fri Oct 26, 2007 8:08 pm

ive bin searchin ebay for black angel eyes for the megane 2 P1 and i cant find em anywhere, anyone else managed to find some yet in the UK?
1.4 52 reg Dynamique

ICEMAN
Advanced Driver
Currently Drives:: Renault Megane II 1.5DCi + Lexus RX 300

Postby ICEMAN » Sat Oct 27, 2007 12:36 pm

dont think they have been released...was sold the ph 1 lights.

got them fitted, cost me a bit, then realsised that they the wrong ones!!!

Bas*ard!!

just wait
Black Megane - Black Tints - Black 18" Rims with Chrome - Angel Eyes - Shark Fin - Tail Fins - Kenwood DNX7200 - ipod Video -Hertz Space 6.5" Components - PG Ti500.4 - MTX 9544-15" Sub - Orion D5000 - Audison Cabling - Optima Power = NICE

Return to “Parts and Accessories”