Oil type

Info on parts and accessories for the Mégane II, what to use and where to buy them.

Moderators: q292u, Ray, AndyAdmin, Stranger

What type of oil do you use?

Semi synth (petrol car)
11%
semi synth (diesel car)
5%
Synth with engine flush (petrol car)
11%
synth with engine flush (diesel car)
16%
Synth without flush (petrol car)
19%
Wnth without flush (diesel car)
24%
whatever the dealer puts in
14%

Total votes: 37

sporttourer
Pass Plus

Oil type

Postby sporttourer » Sun Aug 06, 2006 10:43 am

Just going to buy some oil for the 1.5dci and looking into synthestic but I wondered how many people are still using semi.

So I thought I would start a little poll.

Please take part and feel free to mention the brand of oil you are using.

Lets however not get the boxing gloves out and turn this into a semi versus synth. 8)
---------------------
All information and/or advice given is in good faith and any action taken by the reader is done so at their own risk.

soterman
Advanced Driver

Postby soterman » Sun Aug 06, 2006 11:35 am

When it was time for the first oil change, I instructed the dealer to flush out the old semi-synth oil, and replace it with full synthetic.

Now, I have had the oil changed once more with full synthetic, I didn't have the engine flushed.
'05 1.6VVT Megane II[/color]

pw981
Rally Driver
Currently Drives:: 04 Megane 1.9dCi replaced with a 07 Toyota Auris 2.2 D-CAT 180

Postby pw981 » Sun Aug 06, 2006 11:41 am

I'm currently using Shell Helix Ultra 5w40. Got some Amsoil to use next!

Phil
2004 Megane II 1.9dCi

IainMW
F1 Driver
Currently Drives:: Laguna III 2.0dCi 150 Dynamique Hatchback. Pearl Black, Panoramic Sunroof, Front & Rear Proximity Sensors, 17" Spider Alloys (with B****y expensive tyres on!)

Postby IainMW » Mon Aug 07, 2006 4:18 pm

I'm currently running on Texaco Havoline 5W40 fully synthetic and the wife's Clio is on Chevron Supreme 5W40 fully synthetic (exactly the same stuff going off the description on the lable) bought from Costco at half the price it cost me for my Havoline :D

I also bought 4, 5ltr containers of Exol OPTIMA VIMAX 5W/40 (FULLY SYNTHETIC) from eBay for the right money not to long ago, so I'm going to be running on that for the next few thousand miles.

Here's the link https://cgi.ebay.co.uk/FULLY-SYNTHETIC-5 ... dZViewItem
Make improvements, not excuses!
Laguna III 2.0dCi 150 Dynamique Hatch. Pearl Black, Panoramic Sunroof, Front & Rear Proximity Sensors, 17" Spider Alloys (with B****y expensive tyres fitted!)

silencer51
Advanced Driver

Postby silencer51 » Tue Aug 08, 2006 12:47 am

Nobody uses Elf oil?

I use the Elf Excellium 5w-40 Fully Synthetic for my 1,6 hatch...
Gray Megane II 1,6 5dr hatch 05/2003
Set dephasers to stall!

soterman
Advanced Driver

Postby soterman » Tue Aug 08, 2006 4:33 am

I do. Exactly the same I yours
'05 1.6VVT Megane II[/color]

IainMW
F1 Driver
Currently Drives:: Laguna III 2.0dCi 150 Dynamique Hatchback. Pearl Black, Panoramic Sunroof, Front & Rear Proximity Sensors, 17" Spider Alloys (with B****y expensive tyres on!)

Postby IainMW » Tue Aug 08, 2006 9:55 am

Nobody uses Elf oil?

Elf is quite difficult to find in the UK, the only places I've seen it for sale are in Larger Renualt dealerships and 1 Total fuel station here in the North West of England (Total, Elf and Fina are all the same company) It's also quite expensive.

Sporttourer. Going off the advice that WebCode, Oilmam etc.. have posted about is to follow the recomendations from your hand book.
As long as the oil meets the specifications stipulated you should be OK. In the case of the dCi, the oil must meet the ACEA specification of A3 B3/B4, and be a 5W40, (although my hand book does say a 10W40 is acceptable)

I did for a long time use Castrol GTX Magnatec 10W40 in all my cars and had thousands of miles of trouble free motoring, but I have since read bad reports about Magnatec, to the point that it made me think more about what I was putting in my engine. I've stopped using it now and opted for the extra protection a Fully Synthetic provides. Although saying that, the new Castrol Edge looks to be a very good product, but it's expensive and only available at Halfords (I think?)
If you want more accurate advice contact Oilman or Amsoil for a specific recommendation.
Make improvements, not excuses!
Laguna III 2.0dCi 150 Dynamique Hatch. Pearl Black, Panoramic Sunroof, Front & Rear Proximity Sensors, 17" Spider Alloys (with B****y expensive tyres fitted!)

AlexB
Driving Legend
Currently Drives:: Renaultsport R.S.250 Cup

Postby AlexB » Wed Aug 09, 2006 4:02 pm

In my 1.9dci120 I currently use Motul Ester 8100 E-tech 0w40 bought from https://www.opieoils.co.uk (there is a special offer price for the members of this club). Happy so far. No reduction in the oil level during the last 9k miles.

This is a group 5 synthetic (see the other thread on oils), which is characterised with improved lubricity and not so high tolerance to water condensation. For short winter journeys a group 4 oil is probably better (Amsoil, Mobil, Fuchs Titan Supersyn SL 5w-40, etc.). One can always ask Simon from opieoils for advice.

There exists, however, a school of thought that full synthetics are not as good for turbo diesels as semi-synthetics. This is because full synthetics are more prone to expose leaks and may easier get through turbo seals. I dont believe in this idea, as turbo seals are typically of dynamic or labyrinth type. So, i would go with full synthetics, which don't coke inside the seals and bearings.

Synthetic oils have very good detergency properties and do not need flushing. Using an engine flush on a dirty engine may get a bit of dirt moving towards the turbo... New oil will do the same job, but it will do it gradually by dissolving dirt layer by layer and depositing it in the new filter, which has not lost its efficiency yet.

I also use the blotter test to monitor the oil quality. It involves putting a drop of oil on a business card and observing the circle it leaves. The test is described in the other thread.
AlexB
(no, a different AlexB)

DRD
Passed Theory

Postby DRD » Fri Sep 01, 2006 10:53 am

When i went to the dealer for my anual checkup he flushed the original oil and he put in some original Renault oil the Elf one i don't konw that tipe it was but i know it was Elf and it was for diesels

brendansuen
Passed Theory

Postby brendansuen » Fri Sep 01, 2006 11:01 am

silencer51 wrote:
I use the Elf Excellium 5w-40 Fully

Nice, i just bought a bottle and will get the dealer to put that in my car in two weeks time when it goes in for its first service :D

Elf all the way :rock
ozrenaultsport.com
meganesport.net

DaveP
Advanced Driver

Postby DaveP » Fri Sep 01, 2006 12:53 pm

I'll be having the Amsoil fully synth that I won in the MOC competition put in my diesel sport tourer at its 36,000 mile service in a couple of weeks (assuming the dealer is okay with me providing my own oil) Up to now I've changed the oil at half the service interval (9k instead of 18) and put in halfords own brand fully synthetic but when the Amsoil is in I intend to leave it for the full 18k.
The CC is running on whatever the dealer puts in (2.0 petrol) but tis still getting changed at shorter intervals - once a year which is only about 7k miles rather than the 18k the book says- our dealer did a special offer oil change for 1 year old cars.
At the end of the day... ..it gets dark

Return to “Parts and Accessories”