EGR Blanking plate (Megane 1.9 dci 120 2004)

Info on parts and accessories for the Mégane II, what to use and where to buy them.

Moderators: q292u, Ray, AndyAdmin, Stranger

taffyhl
Advanced Driver
Currently Drives:: 2004 Megane II 1.9 dynaique

EGR Blanking plate (Megane 1.9 dci 120 2004)

Postby taffyhl » Fri Mar 15, 2013 7:26 pm

Anyone tried EGR blanking plate on a Megane??

Looking to replace the EGR valve so had a look on Ebay and found EGR Blanking plates for sale.

A bit of googling shows this is popular with Alpha Romeo owners - apparently increases mpg and power with only downside being potential flat spots and warning light may come on if you don't go for remapping. The warning light appears to only affect newer cars.

I'm very tempted to try this myself rather than replace the EGR. Not so much to save money as they aren't that expensive, but for the mpg increase. I was worried this may mean more crap goes into the exhaust so may affect the CAT but the EGR doesn't divert all the time anyway so it should cope. Can always put it back in for the MOT of course... :-)

almcgrail
Pass Plus
Currently Drives:: Megane II tourer 130

Re: EGR Blanking plate (Megane 1.9 dci 120 2004)

Postby almcgrail » Fri Mar 15, 2013 8:55 pm

Cant help you specificaly with megane but a mate blanked his on his vectra (fiat diesel engine) with a blanking part from fiat dealer. He didnt notice much difference but warning light was perminantly on and car kept going into limp mode all the time.

welbeck
Currently Drives:: Renault Megane 1.9dci

Postby welbeck » Sun Oct 26, 2014 2:02 pm

I've got a 2003 1.9dci and my EGR valve and bought a blanking plate but as yet haven't fitted it but I did get it remapped and am now getting 73mpg on long runs at a steady 70
Last edited by welbeck on Tue Dec 15, 2015 9:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.

daleksean
Passed Theory
Currently Drives:: 2005 Renault Megane ii Oasis 1.5 dci in Ottoman Blue
2011 Honda Civic (FN2) Type R GT

Postby daleksean » Sun Oct 26, 2014 5:06 pm

I have a 1.5 DCI. When I bought the car, the previous owner had unplugged the EGR valve and told me it was harmless and did nothing to the engine as it runs fine with it unplugged. When I plugged it back in, for the MOT, it had blasted a piece of carbon down into my turbo and nocked the impeller off and completely messed the whole engine up.
When I took it to the Renault dealer i asked if it was possible to just blank off the EGR valve but they said that over time, because of the job the EGR valve does, it would actually mess up the turbo more as the exhaust gasses are hotter than what they are supposed to be. Personally i wouldn't blank it off as you'll have the annoying engine management light constantly on in your dashboard and it just isn't worth the risk.

craigyt
Just Passed

Postby craigyt » Sun Oct 26, 2014 6:57 pm

daleksean wrote:I have a 1.5 DCI. When I bought the car, the previous owner had unplugged the EGR valve and told me it was harmless and did nothing to the engine as it runs fine with it unplugged. When I plugged it back in, for the MOT, it had blasted a piece of carbon down into my turbo and nocked the impeller off and completely messed the whole engine up.
When I took it to the Renault dealer i asked if it was possible to just blank off the EGR valve but they said that over time, because of the job the EGR valve does, it would actually mess up the turbo more as the exhaust gasses are hotter than what they are supposed to be. Personally i wouldn't blank it off as you'll have the annoying engine management light constantly on in your dashboard and it just isn't worth the risk.

A bit far fetched to be honest mate, the egr works directly off the turbine and blows directly into the inlet manifold AFTER the turbo so the lump of carbon you say ruined the turbo is nonsense.

On the 1.5 dci you can remove the egr from the inlet and link to two metal pipes together with a length of 100mmx42mm silicone and a plug for the exhaust manifold. Just take the valve out of the housing and cable tie it somewhere in the bay so it still thinks its working.

On the 1.9dci you can plate it at the exhaust manifold end or on the inlet, does no harm at all, it stops all the sticky carbon goin round the inlet it goes straight out of the exhaust.

daleksean
Passed Theory
Currently Drives:: 2005 Renault Megane ii Oasis 1.5 dci in Ottoman Blue
2011 Honda Civic (FN2) Type R GT

Postby daleksean » Mon Oct 27, 2014 4:52 pm

Well I may have been a bit wrong with what I said, the egr valve in a renault dci engine allows the engine to run cooler, therefore the exhaust gasses are cooler, the renault mechanic told me that due to it being unplugged for a very long period of time it would have some effect on the turbo, the lump of carbon was something else, thats when they plugged it in and all the stuff was in it was thrown out the exhaust. But that is what I was told by the mechanic. There has been so much stuff wrong with my car I get confused with what is what.

AlexB
Driving Legend
Currently Drives:: Renaultsport R.S.250 Cup

Postby AlexB » Thu Oct 30, 2014 6:19 pm

No, it does not affect the average temperature much, mainly the peak temperatures inside the cylinders are affected.
The EGR valve is plugged into the exhaust manifold before the turbo. So, it is not impossible to drop something through its hole into the turbo impeller on the hot side.
AlexB
(no, a different AlexB)

Return to “Parts and Accessories”