First MOT - failure - turning into a nightmare

Info on parts and accessories for the Mégane II, what to use and where to buy them.

Moderators: q292u, Ray, AndyAdmin, Stranger

heritageboy
Passed Theory

First MOT - failure - turning into a nightmare

Postby heritageboy » Thu Jun 25, 2009 10:47 am

Hi all

Dropped the Megane 1.9dci 130 off at Nationwide Autocentre this morning - first MOT (and 30k service), was quoted £138.18 which includes CSMA discount.

Just had a call from them saying that it's failed - one of the rear wheel bearings is 'near to hanging off' and is dangerous.. apparently it's easier to fit two new rear discs as the bearings/ABS sensors etc. are integral. Along with balancing wheels, new wiper blades, new pollen filter, the quote has risen to £450 :eek - this is something I hadn't bargained or budgeted for.

The MOT runs out Mon 29th, so I'm going to shop around for the replacement discs (they're going to do the wheel balancing at £20)

Question is, any idea where I can buy the discs? I'm going to call my local Renault stealer but assume they charge lots.

Grateful for advice, HB.
2006 Renault Megane 1.9 dCi 130 Dynamique
2006 Saab 93 1.9 TiD 150 Vector Sport

What's all this fuss about the 9th November?

heritageboy
Passed Theory

Re: First MOT - failure - turning into a nightmare

Postby heritageboy » Thu Jun 25, 2009 11:02 am

Stealer (Hylton's Worcester) has quoted £130 all-in for a pair of discs + pads which doesn't seem that bad. Wiper blades are £38! :conf

Gav
Advanced Driver
Currently Drives:: Sport Tourer, 1.5 dCi 106

Postby Gav » Thu Jun 25, 2009 11:49 am

www.wiperblades.co.uk should be able to save you a little bit
06 Extreme Blue 1.5dCi 106 Dynamique Sport Tourer with panoramic sunroof and Dension Gateway

heritageboy
Passed Theory

Postby heritageboy » Thu Jun 25, 2009 1:23 pm

Thanks for that... I tried wiper blades but the site doesn't work properly on my work PC.

I went back to Nationwide Autocentres with my findings - they said they could do the job for £362 (a drop of £90!) - this is as cheap, if not cheaper, with me sourcing the parts then getting them to fit (and having all the hassle of driving back etc.). The only thing I don't get are the new pads - apparently I still have approx. 8mm on the rear so I can live with them being reused on the new discs.

Expensive hobby this car ownership :dead

nickbell69
Advanced Driver
Currently Drives:: megane 1.9dci priv 53

Postby nickbell69 » Sat Jun 27, 2009 11:17 pm

Probably biggest mistake was going to Nationwide for MOT, they're all on commission for extra work done.

AlexB
Driving Legend
Currently Drives:: Renaultsport R.S.250 Cup

Postby AlexB » Sun Jun 28, 2009 11:07 pm

Old pads must not be used with new discs. Furthermore, it is time to change the brake fluid -- it serves 2 years before getting saturated with water.

heritageboy wrote:Thanks for that... I tried wiper blades but the site doesn't work properly on my work PC.

I went back to Nationwide Autocentres with my findings - they said they could do the job for £362 (a drop of £90!) - this is as cheap, if not cheaper, with me sourcing the parts then getting them to fit (and having all the hassle of driving back etc.). The only thing I don't get are the new pads - apparently I still have approx. 8mm on the rear so I can live with them being reused on the new discs.

AlexB
(no, a different AlexB)

ian7675
Passed Theory
Currently Drives:: 1.6vvt Dynamique

Postby ian7675 » Sun Jun 28, 2009 11:35 pm

It wasn't the one in Hucclecote was it? Mine was in there a few weeks ago and I had a feeling of dodgyness if you know what I mean. Anyway I hope you get it sorted soon.

tallpaul
Pass Plus

Postby tallpaul » Mon Jun 29, 2009 3:21 pm

AlexB wrote:Old pads must not be used with new discs. Furthermore, it is time to change the brake fluid -- it serves 2 years before getting saturated with water.

heritageboy wrote:Thanks for that... I tried wiper blades but the site doesn't work properly on my work PC.

why can't you use the old pads?
52 Megane dCi 120 Dynamique 5dr ● 18" Team Dynamics Pro Comp II ● OEM clear lights ● OEM RenaultSport 225 Front Bumper ● Yellow Fogs ● Black Roof

AlexB
Driving Legend

Postby AlexB » Mon Jun 29, 2009 4:49 pm

Because of the pattern of wear. Old discs always have groves and their surfaces are neither strictly parallel nor flat. The contact spot between the old pad and the new disc will be small in area and funny in its shape, which will prevent them from bedding in correctly and may cause glazing. The pads are cheap comparing to the discs, installation of worn pads will require an additional brake job soon in addition to possible bedding in issues, so it makes no sense to use the old ones.

The premium pads, such as GreenStuff, may have a special coating to assist the bedding in process...

tallpaul wrote:
AlexB wrote:Old pads must not be used with new discs. Furthermore, it is time to change the brake fluid -- it serves 2 years before getting saturated with water.

why can't you use the old pads?
AlexB
(no, a different AlexB)

rossioni
Currently Drives:: magane tourer - tdi

Postby rossioni » Tue Jun 30, 2009 1:11 pm

nationwide are a shocking firm

I thought i might need new tyres on mine - so the mrs stopped off one day at the local nationwide
they said she would be driving out illegal if shes didnt have 3 of the 4 tyres changed and if stopped by the cops it would be points on her liscence....do her a deal on all 4 blah blah blah scammers

she aint daft so when she got home she told me...next day it had its MOT at a renault dealer and failed just on 1 tyre

AlexB
Driving Legend

Postby AlexB » Wed Jul 01, 2009 8:42 am

Regardless of the company in question, please check the 2 tyres which were condemned first and then left on the car. There exist, unfortunately, an inconsistency between legal and safe. The tyres are legal down to 1.6mm thread depth, but safe only down to 3mm!

rossioni wrote:nationwide are a shocking firm

I thought i might need new tyres on mine - so the mrs stopped off one day at the local nationwide
they said she would be driving out illegal if shes didnt have 3 of the 4 tyres changed and if stopped by the cops it would be points on her liscence....do her a deal on all 4 blah blah blah scammers

she aint daft so when she got home she told me...next day it had its MOT at a renault dealer and failed just on 1 tyre
AlexB
(no, a different AlexB)

heritageboy
Passed Theory

Postby heritageboy » Wed Jul 01, 2009 11:24 am

Nationwide Worcester (The Butts depot). They said I could stick with the old rear pads as they had approx. 8mm left and that they'd rub them down with emery cloth :?:

They also said the rear wheel bearing was dangerous and had to be replaced (MOT failure) though I heard no nasty squeeking/grinding noises and driving wasn't affected. How would you know? They've got you over a barrel.

Car now sorted, well apart from the fact that the muppets couldn't get the long-life wipers and forgot to put the old ones back on. I had to drive into the centre of Worcester (nightmare) the next day and get the old ones refitted. Apparently the new ones are in today so I need to make another trip (luckily I work in Worcs but still an inconvenience).

Minor service /MOT / MOT repairs cost me £350 in the end, plus £125 for 4 new tyres :o (not from Nationwide I hasten to add!). Thanks for all the advice, I'll rethink using Nationwide next time.

AlexB
Driving Legend

Postby AlexB » Wed Jul 01, 2009 9:19 pm

heritageboy,

What they've done by using the emery cloth was a bad idea.

How did you choose the tyres? £125 for four sounds very cheap.
AlexB
(no, a different AlexB)

dougsinnott
Currently Drives:: Renault Megane 1.5dci Sport Tourer Automatic

Postby dougsinnott » Sat Oct 24, 2009 10:28 pm

heritageboy wrote:Hi all

Dropped the Megane 1.9dci 130 off at Nationwide Autocentre this morning - first MOT (and 30k service), was quoted £138.18 which includes CSMA discount.

Just had a call from them saying that it's failed - one of the rear wheel bearings is 'near to hanging off' and is dangerous.. apparently it's easier to fit two new rear discs as the bearings/ABS sensors etc. are integral. Along with balancing wheels, new wiper blades, new pollen filter, the quote has risen to £450 :eek - this is something I hadn't bargained or budgeted for.

The MOT runs out Mon 29th, so I'm going to shop around for the replacement discs (they're going to do the wheel balancing at £20)

Question is, any idea where I can buy the discs? I'm going to call my local Renault stealer but assume they charge lots.

Grateful for advice, HB.

I think they're ripping you off.
At only 30,000 miles,and 3 years old, your car should not need all this work.
It's well known that Quckfit,and similar big chains like Nationwide Autocentres get a lot of work from gullible owners like you,on supposedly failed MOT's,something should be done,it's extortion!
Can't you get it tested elsewhere,get a second opinion,but not where they are offering a cheap service,plus MOT,at what looks a bargain price,as you can see were they make their money,by listing expensive,supposed faults.
If your car in the end does need all this work,complain to Customer Services,at Renault UK,they were really helpful to me when my electric window failed.(my car is a Megane 2005 Sport Tourer 1.5 Dci).
They paid to get it fixed!

LiamG
Learner Driver
Currently Drives:: Megane 120 DCi Dynamique

Postby LiamG » Sun Oct 25, 2009 7:00 am

An actual proper garage rubbed down the pads with emery cloth and re-fitted them :eek

Seriously WTF! Anyone knows you should always change pads with the disks regardless of how much is left on the pads. Very Cowboy stylee
Megane II 5dr 1.9 DCi 120 Dynamique in Yellow (yes yellow like the renaultsports) - Now Sold :(

Return to “Parts and Accessories”