No money and 650 miles to drive

Share details of a trip that you've been on in your Megane II.

Moderators: q292u, Ray, AndyAdmin, Stranger

guynkate

No money and 650 miles to drive

Postby guynkate » Thu May 17, 2007 10:12 am

I was leaving Frankfurt am Main (relocated back to the UK)
Any way on my last day I thought I would take some cash out for the journey home.
Went to the ATM...... your card has been blocked (both Visa and Current account) :shock:
Rang the bank and they had noticed some odd spending patterns (I travelled all over Europe with work) and to be safe they had blocked my cards........ so after what seemed to be 500 security questions they opened them back up :roll: but this would take 24 hours and I had a ferry booked (and started my new job in Stafford the next day).
So I checked what resources I had.

1/4 tank of Diesel
30 Euro's
£20

So 25 euros of fuel
20 marlboro
and a pray I set off

I had just short of 3/4 a tank of fuel and the trip computer was telling me that I had 500 miles in the tank (total trip of 650 miels)

If I could make it to the ferry at least I could sort something out in the UK.
I got on the Autobahn and I was the second slowest thing on it (Lorrys being first)
I stuck to 60mph (which to do for the first leg of the autobahn - 160 miles with no cruise control and not being flat was interesting)
I managed to do the 380 miles from Frankfurt am Main to Calais at an average of 60 mph and the car had returned 68mpg (god bless the little 1.5).
Anyway crossed the channel took a steady drive to London and around the M25 for the M1.
Put another £10 of fuel in on the M1 and some food and drinks and on my way again.
By the time I had passed Luton I was tired and fed up so sped things up as I had now been in the car for 15 hours.
Anyway I was 15 miles away from home on a country A road and the fuel warning came on (I thought to myself - got this in the bag) 2 miles up the road, a drunk man had been walking in the midde of a road (forgot to mention that this was the day we were kicked out of the world cup) and a artic lorry had hit him :shock:
Police closed the road and told us to turn around, I had only moved into the area and did not have a clue (and the police man was not helpful at all) so ended spending 45 mins running through single track roads.

I did get home OK, the next day I jumped in the car to start my new job and headed for the garage (about 1.5 miles down a big hill) I got 3/400 meters down the hill and the car cut out, so I costed down the hill to the garage (this is a 1/5 hill and having no brake assistance was interesting)
Rgs
2005 1.5 DCi Dynamique (or how ever it is spelt :)
Glass roof and car park ding on front bumper (ask the misses)

Basenji
Rally Driver
Currently Drives:: Megane 2 hb

Postby Basenji » Thu May 17, 2007 1:14 pm

Sounds very exciting way home.
Still, your megane seems to be a very nice girl - buy her some new wax or so.
zdrówko :lol:
Meggie slightly customized http://pl.youtube.com/watch?v=aD_K0VbKYGs

Dimitris

Postby Dimitris » Sat May 19, 2007 4:29 pm

Megane a partner you can rely on!!
Innovate dont Immitate.

wanda
F1 Driver

Re: No money and 650 miles to drive

Postby wanda » Thu Apr 17, 2008 8:39 am

nice one megy :cool:

danchapman