Why Do You Love Your Megane?

Share details of a trip that you've been on in your Megane II.

Moderators: q292u, Ray, AndyAdmin, Stranger

robznet
Advanced Driver
Currently Drives:: Megane 1.5dci

Re: Why Do You Love Your Megane?

Postby robznet » Thu Jan 14, 2010 11:22 pm

Just seen this post - so I will have a go!

01 - 70mpg at times!
02 - Cheap to insure
03 - Bags of kit for the money
04 - £35 per year road tax
05 - 100% better than my 1.4 (petrol) dynamique was
06 - Goes like stink (compared to my 1.4 petrol)
07 - Panoramic sunroof is wonderful!
08 - 6 cd multichanger is 1st class
09 - Comfort for a "mid sector" car is great
10 - Last comment - fantastic ass!!

In fact the only minus factor in my opinion is that my daughter is aware of how frugal the Meg is, and insists in borrowing it for any long journeys she makes! I am left to drive an overpriced, ugly and uncomfortable Mini Cooper S! Thats how much I love my Meg! :-(
1.5DCi Dynamique with comfort pack - Antique Green.

davelowe
Driving Legend

Postby davelowe » Thu Jan 14, 2010 11:33 pm

AlexB wrote:It is a remarkable paradox when abstraction results in refinement. Paraphrase the question by truncating it, and the answer will become obvious. Why Do You Love?

I've been considering the merit of this statement for some weeks. I haven't reached a conclusion as to its meaning. Surely abstracting the question results in 'Why Love Megane'? In which case, what is the paradox?
Silver 08 plate 5dr 1.5dci Dynamique 106 Tech Run (re-mapped)

Red 03 plate 5dr 1.9 Dynamique dci120

Best advice for Megane owners: sell it before it bankrupts you!

ash1263
Currently Drives:: Megane 1.9 dci - 150bhp remap, fully wrapped Remus stainless straight through with twin exit, Eibach pro sport springs, K&N panel filter, 18" MS splits, full skirts and spoiler

Postby ash1263 » Tue Feb 02, 2010 4:53 pm

1. Renault IQ paint looks the nuts
2. Fast enough to eat VTS's and the like
3. Decent grip
4. Nice arse
5. Things that break usually fix themselves (as with most French cars)
6. 18" Wheels
7. Twin exit Remus exhaust ;)
8. Fuel economy MUCH better than my 1600 Fiesta and 1600 Peugeot which I had before the Megane

But overall it's a Renault and everyone knows Renault's are the all round best cars ;)

STH
Learner Driver
Currently Drives:: 1.5 dCi 106 Dynamique, Gold Coloured Bumpers, Rear Parking Sensors, Panoramic roof, CD Changer

Postby STH » Sun May 09, 2010 10:18 pm

6 speed gearbox
!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!61 Mpg!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
1.5 dCi 106 Dynamique, Quarts Colour Coded Bumpers, Rear Parking Sensors, Panoramic roof, CD Changer

STH
Learner Driver
Currently Drives:: 1.5 dCi 106 Dynamique, Gold Coloured Bumpers, Rear Parking Sensors, Panoramic roof, CD Changer

Postby STH » Sun May 09, 2010 10:25 pm

robznet wrote:Just seen this post - so I will have a go!

01 - 70mpg at times!
02 - Cheap to insure

(

Hey robznet, is your Meg a 106 or a 86 bhp?? as im paying £120.00 not £30 :(
1.5 dCi 106 Dynamique, Quarts Colour Coded Bumpers, Rear Parking Sensors, Panoramic roof, CD Changer

wanda
F1 Driver

Postby wanda » Thu Jun 03, 2010 2:40 pm

STH wrote:
robznet wrote:Just seen this post - so I will have a go!

01 - 70mpg at times!
02 - Cheap to insure

(

Hey robznet, is your Meg a 106 or a 86 bhp?? as im paying £120.00 not £30 :(

If you have a sun roof then apparently it pushes the emissions to the next group.

mcdonnell77
Passed Theory
Currently Drives:: Reanult Megane 1.5 dCi 106 Hatchback Blue

Postby mcdonnell77 » Fri Jun 11, 2010 11:33 pm

1. Econmical (57.6 mpg)
2. £30 a year tax
3. Fun to drive
4. Well equipped
5. Unique Look
Megane 1.5 DCI 106 Hatchback Blue

misty2k
Pass Plus
Currently Drives:: 2008 Mercedes ML320 CDI

Postby misty2k » Sat Jun 12, 2010 2:29 am

I am beginning to worry that my love for Méganes is turning a little into obsessive stalking.

I passed my driving test in February 2006. I immediately bought an "R" plate Mégane I... for no other reason than it fitted my price range, was available and (to my naive new-drivers eye) in good condition. I liked it a lot, as people always do with their first car, but after overheating, exhaust falling off (literally), new clutch and the final nail being an almost blown head gasket, after 7 months we parted company.

During that 7 months, I had use of a dozen or more hire cars for work (they preferred that to personal mileage for insurance / cost reasons) and I really enjoyed the feel of nice new cars. So, seeing as my first car had cost me almost £200 a month to keep on the road, I thought what they hell, why pay garage bills to keep a crappy car on the road when I could get a car on finance instead and enjoy low maintenance costs from a near-new car for around the same price.

I thought I might get a better trade-in price if I took my poor old car to a Renault Dealer (probably not true) and I liked the look of the Mégane II's ass so I got an '05 plate Mégane Sports Hatch, 1.6 petrol. He tried to sell me a diesel but for I had never driven one and still had it in my head that they all sounded like taxi cabs and that diesel pumps were smelly.

Anyway, my romance with Méganes continued and I loved driving my sparky little red 1.6 plaything.

Then, one day, the rental company who supplied my firm had no mid-range Astras or Golfs so brought me an Astra Twin-Top (Coupe Cab) and I tasted open top driving... and that was it. I had to have one for myself. Even though I'd only had the Sport Hatch for 9 months I started looking for a convertible replacement. I'd also had several diesels from the Enterprise rentals too and had learned that there are so many gains in terms of torque, acceleration and economy that I knew I wanted one... besides, it would off-set the cost of the open-top.

By now Enterprise were wrapped round my little finger and I often got specific cars and I knew they had a few Mégane CCs in their fleet and lo-and-behold a 1.6 petrol Mégane CC was dropped off. I was still torn though between the Astra and the Mégane but by pure chance, on a day I'd set up a test drive of a Mégane I had an Astra open-top on hire and the roof broke.

That was it, I decided to keep buying French and soon after signed on the dotted line for my 3rd car, 3rd Meg and 1st Convertible. I made a huge loss on the Sport Hatch. In fact, I had to lump over £1000 on to my new finance agreement just to clear the old one AND throw in £1000 cash deposit. That was back before the credit-crunch (and probably is an indication of the silly lending which lead to the current mess).

I didn't care though and my tears of sadness at my short romance with the Sport Hatch soon dried when I saw my shiny new silver dream machine. 1.9dci, hands-free entry, swanky folding wind mirrors and 130 BHP plus, of course, open sky above me.

I was very disciplined this time and didn't want to take a hit on my finance again, so kept my eyes off the Autotrader pages until I got a letter from the finance company asking "Have you chosen your new car?". They were warning me that it was 6 months till the end of the PCP agreement (that's the kind of plan where you pay 2 thirds over three years then have to pay a lump sum, trade-in or give the car back).

I was excited at the prospect of a new car plus, from what I remembered from the sales guy my car should be worth £2000 more than I owed. What a great deposit that would be. NOT.

Turns out that because of a mix of my having to lump £1000 onto the new finance deal AND my CC being pre-facelift AND the Meg III CC is coming out a couple of months AND I'd taken my baby a way past 40,000 miles she was STILL worth less than I owed.

Still, I sure didn't have a few thousand pounds lying around to pay the lump sum and WeBuyAnyCar offered even less than the dealers were offering so I had to bite the bullet and start a new finance deal.

Well, another lesson learned I guess and I don't have PCP finance this time. Instead, I have a straight forward Hire-purchase agreement on my shiny, 2007 phase II Black Pearl, 1.9dci Coupe Cabriolet. I hardly even considered any other cars.

I don't have BMW 3 series CC or Volvo C70 money. I don't have VW EOS money either but I'd have any of those three if I could afford them. There's something weird looking about the Ford Focus CC and the Pug 308 is ugly as sin at the back and the 207 is cute, but small. Oh yeah, and the Astra is still the second best looking Convertible in my price range, but I can't help remebering the busted roof.

So no, nothing but a Mégane CC would do this time.

Who knows where I'll be in 3 years from now, but if you're a gambler, you can put good money on me being prowling around Renault dealerships looking for a white 3 year old Mégane III Coupe Cabriolet... but if you wanted to place an outside bet on me hunting down a BMW 3 or even 6 series Convertible, it might be worth a punt.

Dee
1st Car - Navy Blue '97 Megane I, 1.4 RTE
2nd Car - Red '04 Megane II, 1.6 VVTi
3rd Car - Silver '05 Megane II CC, 1.9 DCi
4th Car - Black '07 Megane II CC, 1.9 DCi
5th Car - Black '08 Mercedes ML320 Sport

MéganeDynamique
Advanced Driver
Currently Drives:: Renault Mégane 2.0 VVT Dynamique Sport Hatch

Postby MéganeDynamique » Sat Jun 12, 2010 9:13 pm

Dee,

I wanted the CC but firmly believe that convertibles are for women or balding men. So i compromised and got a sport hatch with the panoramic glass roof!

I wouldn't say no to a 6 Series, mind!

Nice to see you're such a serial Mégane purchaser :)
Ottoman Blue 2.0 VVT Privilège 5 Door - Full beige leather, ESP, Xenon headlights, Carminat Navigation, Cruise etc.
Ink Blue 2.0 VVT Dynamique 3 Door... Black Leather, heated seats, panoramic sunroof, tyre pressure sensors, Hands Free etc.

Newcastlewatson
Currently Drives:: Mark 2 renault megane 1.9dci 120 bhp

Postby Newcastlewatson » Sun Aug 29, 2010 3:54 pm

Because even tho mine at the moment is coughing up blood and guts it is still willing and trying to perform i admire the mighty megan`s spirit and the 1.9dci engine that pulls with every last fire of the piston. Also cheaper to run then a 1.4 VW Golf MK 5 fsi

Matty_225
Passed Theory
Currently Drives:: Megane 225 LUX

Postby Matty_225 » Wed Oct 06, 2010 1:45 pm

I love the way it keeps pace with R32's, when you see there faces when a Megane overtakes them, ha ha ha :D

Robkelz
Currently Drives:: 05 Renault Megane 1.4 Dynamique

Postby Robkelz » Sun Nov 07, 2010 4:01 pm

THA BIG ASS
05 Renault Megane 1.4 Dynamique

andywills
Advanced Driver
Currently Drives:: 04 Megane 1.6e 16V VVT

Postby andywills » Sun Nov 07, 2010 6:52 pm

Dom1234 wrote:people only ever post the bad things to happen to them, what about the good :)

i know there is going to be a hell of lot of people who are going to say otherwise,

i have had a renault 18, renault 5, renault 19, renault laguna, renault megane x2 and none have let me down.

i did have a ford fiesta for six months, it was crap, a metro that the suspension kept going down on and a fiat punto that you sh1t yourself when you went around a corner in
Renault Megané Dynamique 1.6e 16v VVT 2004

janey
Currently Drives:: Renault Megane II Sedan 1.6

Postby janey » Sat Nov 13, 2010 7:11 pm

Really, it is like a bit of a bigger car. My parents bought a Volvo after Megane
and they say it's smaller from inside. MII has many comfort features that did not use to
be in this class in ca 2000. A bit of sunshine for the plebejenas! :)

funkyg
Currently Drives:: Megane III dCi 106

Postby funkyg » Fri Dec 17, 2010 5:01 pm

I've only had my Megane III for a month but I'm still loving it for all it's improvements over my last car.
1) £30 annual tax as opposed to £240
2) Almost 50 MPG opposed to 33MPG
3) Grip and handling.
4) All the auto toys (wipers, lights, keyless entry/ignition)
5) Looks.
6) The bluetooth phone kit and audio streaming.

I'm seeing a pattern that everyone here loves the fat arse of the previous Megane. I'll be honest, it's probably the one thing I DON'T like about the previous Megane. It just doesn't look right to me, but it's all subjective.

Return to “Megane II Adventures”