Mk2 Megan CC 16v VVT

Information and general chat about the Megane II CC.

Moderators: q292u, Ray, AndyAdmin, Stranger

Peterg
Currently Drives:: Megan CC 16v VVT

Mk2 Megan CC 16v VVT

Postby Peterg » Mon Nov 09, 2020 1:49 pm

Hi All,

Need a new alternator for the above. I've asked Renault for advice and they've said that the only way they can tell what the exact version of alternator I need is, if I take it off and tell them the part/ref number. (apparently there are 8 different versions). There within lies the problem: A few years ago the alternator was changed because the garage at the time, said at some point in it's life the cars alternator had been fitted with the wrong one. But since then I'm fairly sure that the alternator has not outputting enough voltage, because if I didn't use the car for a few weeks the battery would go flat (yes I have changed the battery) and I also noticed that when I applied the breaks the headlights would dim!

So all I'm trying to do is source the correct version of alternator I need for my car, can anyone help?

Just a quick foot note: I cant believe that Renault can not advise me of the correct part number, surely they must have some sort of record of the version of alternator that was fitted to the engine when it left the factory?

Thanks in advance.

Peterg

Re: Mk2 Megan CC 16v VVT

Postby Peterg » Mon Nov 16, 2020 1:11 am

Can anyone help??

Thanks

Peterg

Postby Peterg » Mon Nov 23, 2020 11:38 am

Still no offers of help?

Cheers

bobbaldilocks
Currently Drives:: Megane 2's and a Grand Espace and a 330d m sport Touring

Postby bobbaldilocks » Wed Dec 09, 2020 9:11 am

Hi, I agree that it seems strange Renault parts are unable / unwilling to provide you with some detail around the correct alternator using your registration number. However I have experienced a reticence / refusal to provide a parts number over the phone before today. Understandably so, because human nature dictates that once armed with that information we'll use the dealer price as absolute worst case scenario and attempt to source the same part elsewhere at less cost. If that's the scenario that you're finding yourself in I've found some polite face to face conversation at the parts desk with a pot of tea after making a small prior purchase, e.g. oil filter, sump bung washer etc there's more of a willingness to scan the microfische for the detail.

Out of interest I have an 07 Megane CC 1.5dci and a 1.6 16v hatch. I've just bought a new battery for the 1.5dci and it's a 70 Ah. I checked the spec for the petrol at the same time and understand it's the same battery (although I appreciate that doesn't necessarily mean that it's the same alternator).

There appear to be at least four different engine types fitted in the CC range. The 1.6 and 2.0 petrol together with the 1.5 and 1.9 diesel. Yours is the petrol so that narrows it down a bit.

There are precise voltages that should be observed when measured both at the battery terminals and from the alternator / earth direct. If it's not pushing out a certain voltage (and those voltages should be on this site somewhere, 13.5 to 14.2 ish I think) at tickover and then again under load with lights, blower etc on then I'd say the alternator is suspect.

A final word. I've also got an Espace which has suffered from a battery drain for a while now. Because it gets infrequent use it's been easier to fit a battery isolator than attempt to track down the source of the battery drain (lazy I know!!). However, a test can be run by an auto electrician in an attempt to check the alternator output and check for a battery drain.
A very final word, I personally find the output from the Megane headlights, whether they be halogen or xenon quite poor. I'm not sure whether that's because all new cars on the road appear to have blindingly bright LED lamps now, whether my eyesight is deteriorating or a mixture of the two but good luck and hope this helps a bit, cheers

Peterg

Postby Peterg » Sun Apr 25, 2021 8:37 pm

Just picking this thread back up now that summer here. OK, So I think I've sussed it, I ended up buying a second hand one from ebay for the exact same year, so hopefully it should be fully compatible. However I need advice on the timing belt please: To remove it, do I just ease of the pre-tensioner and just slip the belt off? and when refitting just move the pre-tensioner and then refit the belt and let the pretensioner slip back into place? In other words there's no manual adjustment required??

Many thanks for all and any replies/help :-)

bobbaldilocks
Currently Drives:: Megane 2's and a Grand Espace and a 330d m sport Touring

Postby bobbaldilocks » Thu Jun 01, 2023 8:57 am

Sorry Peter, I've only just discovered the 'Your Posts' function within the forum, so just running through this and realise that I didn't pick up your last question but glad to read that you sourced a replacement alternator and hope that did the trick. I've never attempted a timing belt change but I have watched one or two well constructed YouTube's on the subject. Fully appreciate this is well after the event now and you may no longer have the car but as we're now entering double figures of continuous good weather I hope you're enjoying that CC top down driving!!

Return to “Megane CC”