Megan Cabrio 1.6 coil spring be careful

Information and general chat about the Megane II CC.

Moderators: q292u, Ray, AndyAdmin, Stranger

Malroy
Passed Theory
Currently Drives:: Megane II CC

Megan Cabrio 1.6 coil spring be careful

Postby Malroy » Fri Aug 16, 2019 4:53 pm

Thought I'd get this out there to prevent others from a potential problem
I recently ordered and fitted new KYB front shocks, coil springs and top mounts to my 2004 1.6 megane cc. To be sure I got the correct items I first went to the on-line supplier and confirmed part numbers via reg number as usual. I then reconfirmed via KYB's on-line catalogue. Parts arrived and visually they matched the originals so I went ahead and installed them. Well after installation I wasn't happy with the front ride height but read a few owners reports that things needed time and miles to settle. I gave it a few days but perhaps only 50 miles as I was sure things weren't right. Did some detail comparison measuriing with the original which fortunately I'd kept and found the spring wire dia of the new coils to be 0.5mm greater. The result after more digging using my VIN and contact with KYB tech support turns out to be the KYB catalogue recommendation for my vehicle type is wrong.

In truth KYB have been good from a tech support perspective but I'm fighting to get a refund or replacements from the supplier who quote their returns policy that parts should be unmarked and in original packaging. I've reiterated to them that they sold me the wrong parts and the issue wasn't apparent until they were fitted. KYB state that once fitted the coils cannot be considered new saleable quality and they will reimburse the parts supplier. The supplier will happily sell me the correct replacements but why the hell should I pay twice for their mistake even if the result of a KYB shortfall

For ref the KYB PT should be RH2712 with a 12.5mm wire dia and not RH2711 as their catalogue states. However please double check yourselves.

Malroy
Passed Theory

Re: Megan Cabrio 1.6 coil spring be careful

Postby Malroy » Wed Aug 21, 2019 7:12 am

Update,
On return of the incorrect coils springs the supplier has accepted responsibility and will refund in full, which is good. Still have the hassle of doing the job twice though, which is annoying.

BrotherPlasterer
Just Passed
Currently Drives:: 2005 Renault Megane 2 1.6 VVT Dynamique

Postby BrotherPlasterer » Wed Aug 21, 2019 5:20 pm

:-) glad u got sorted.

Malroy
Passed Theory

Postby Malroy » Mon Aug 26, 2019 7:32 pm

Cheers mate,

ShrikantPillay
Currently Drives:: motor

Postby ShrikantPillay » Thu Sep 26, 2019 10:31 am

Grat Information....

djandree
Currently Drives:: megane II cc 05 reg, megane II cc 07 reg megane III cc 11 reg

Postby djandree » Sun Dec 01, 2019 7:02 pm

for future reference!!!!

Try to find a proper renault part number

http://catcar.info/renault/?lang=en&l=c ... 1OMzEwMjEw

then look up for a part number on uncle google and you will find this for a spring:

Fitting Position:
Front Axle

Spring Design:
Coil spring with constant wire diameter
Length [mm]:393
Thickness [mm]:12,50
Diameter [mm]:157
Weight [kg]:2,10
Colour Coding:
Blue, Orange
Condition:
New