Roof Seals

Information and general chat about the Megane II CC.

Moderators: q292u, Ray, AndyAdmin, Stranger

FEWRIOUS
Learner Driver
Currently Drives:: 2005 Megane CC

Roof Seals

Postby FEWRIOUS » Fri Sep 12, 2014 4:29 pm

Hi all, what is the best stuff to clean cc roof seals as would like to clean in prep for winter, do I Nast wash with soapy water then treat with silicone spray? Any help would be grateful :cool:

mitachu
Learner Driver
Currently Drives:: 2006 Megan CC Dynamique

Re: Roof Seals

Postby mitachu » Sun Sep 14, 2014 2:53 pm

I had a leak on my driver side window when it rained hard so got hold of some silicon grease (not spray) which I have rubbed onto the seals. No more leak so far.
I have also been spraying silicon spray onto a sponge and wiping the seals every month or so.
This coming winter will be my first with the CC. Fingers crossed it will be fine!

FEWRIOUS
Learner Driver
Currently Drives:: 2005 Megane CC

Postby FEWRIOUS » Wed Sep 17, 2014 7:00 pm

Cheers mitachu will get some silicone spray, just didn't know if it had to be a certain type :cool:

smilergrogan

Postby smilergrogan » Thu Dec 04, 2014 11:30 am

My Renault dealer says that regular Vasoline can be used on the seals.

MatSa
Passed Theory
Currently Drives:: 2008 Megane cc

Postby MatSa » Thu Dec 11, 2014 10:27 am

I use a door and rubber cleaner from autoglym to clean the seals the use a silicon spray on a cloth to give seal it nicely. Do this once a month

BobbyBlueBoots
Learner Driver
Currently Drives:: Megane Coupe Convertible 1.6, Hyundai Coupe 2.0

Postby BobbyBlueBoots » Sun Feb 01, 2015 4:00 pm

VW do a seal refurbishment kit for the Eos, ( similar folding roof car ) and I bought one from a VW dealer on eBay. Obviously we are now in the depths of winter and currently we have around eleven inches of snow, but all has been well so far! But I do find the air con system to be slightly below par and very slow to clear a misted screen, mind you the heater takes miles to generate any warmth as well..... Not problems you notice in summer with the roof folded away???

Stu001
Currently Drives:: 06 Megane Cabrio

Postby Stu001 » Sun Feb 01, 2015 6:57 pm

I actually got a quote from a Renault recommended body shop to get the seals replaced. I also got a quote from the dealer for the new seals which was a rather pleasant £80. It all went rapidly downhill when I spoke to the body shop. A mere £1000 to replace the seals :shock:

Needless to say I'll be using the advise from one of the posts above this one to repair my leaking seals. When it gets warmer, not yet, too cold.

BobbyBlueBoots
Learner Driver

Postby BobbyBlueBoots » Mon Feb 02, 2015 6:14 pm

That doesn't sound as bad as my mate who has a Fiat Barchetta, he was quoted more than the car is worth......or very close to! They have some funny triple lip seals and are only available from Fiat. But it made me glad I had a more standard production model.

petepete
Just Passed
Currently Drives:: cc

Postby petepete » Mon Feb 23, 2015 11:15 am

sudocrem as winter starts...

whats all this talk of leeks about ?????

Stu001

Postby Stu001 » Thu Feb 26, 2015 5:59 pm

BobbyBlueBoots wrote: mind you the heater takes miles to generate any warmth as well.....

Mine was like that, one thermostat replacement later and the car is at 1/4 temp after a mile and half (normal temp) after 2....mmmm toastie

Did somebody say leek soup???

BobbyBlueBoots
Learner Driver

Postby BobbyBlueBoots » Thu Feb 26, 2015 6:17 pm

Yes the engine temperature shows the engine is warming up ok, its just very little seems to drift into the cabin. But I take your point about the thermostat and will have it changed at the next service around Easter time.

Rob

Stu001

Postby Stu001 » Thu Feb 26, 2015 7:50 pm

Ooh no, if the gauge says it's warm a new thermostat won't help. That only controls the temperature of the coolant, if the gauge says that's OK it's more than likely OK. If the air flow is nice and high then you're looking at a possible blockage caused by if you're lucky a kinked pipe to/from the heater matrix or worse a blocked heater matrix. Or it could be the control cable from the heat knob is not moving the valve to fully open. You will need to do some checks like when up to running temperature see if both the feed and return pipes to the heater matrix are hot, if one is cold, you've got poor coolant flow to the matrix. If both are hot, it could be the control cable.

BobbyBlueBoots
Learner Driver

Postby BobbyBlueBoots » Sat Mar 14, 2015 3:15 pm

I emntioned this problem to the garage when I was in having rear brake discs/bearings and pads, they replaced the pollen filter and that has made a noticeable difference....but will keep and eye on the things you highlighted..

Rob

Return to “Megane CC”