plexiglass rear wind break for £10 or free...

Information and general chat about the Megane II CC.

Moderators: q292u, Ray, AndyAdmin, Stranger

petepete
Just Passed
Currently Drives:: cc

plexiglass rear wind break for £10 or free...

Postby petepete » Sun Jul 13, 2014 2:58 pm

I took styling cues and function from the new shape megane in wanting a factory finish look rather than a tacked on velcro bit of plexiglass !!!

For your aproval the result of three hours work :hm

https://screencast.com/t/bnj2FLeydBms

https://screencast.com/t/3z2KQ8ETiGO

https://screencast.com/t/RCjQPPre

I used nothing more than 2 numberplate fronts that i blagged for free at halfords, a knife heated over a cooker ring to cut the plexiglass and a round file :D

It looks exactly as i planned and i have had to lower the light so you are able to see it on the photo ( 2 bits of plexiglass fitted inside the "headrest loop" and one in the middle )

enjoy :grin :grin :grin :grin
Last edited by petepete on Sun Jul 13, 2014 3:18 pm, edited 2 times in total.

jon72
Passed Theory
Currently Drives:: Renault Megane CC Mk2

Re: plexiglass rear wind break for £10 or free...

Postby jon72 » Sun Jul 13, 2014 3:08 pm

Nice and neat, how does it holds on the headrest and in between?

petepete
Just Passed

Postby petepete » Sun Jul 13, 2014 3:21 pm

Being as the air will hit it from the rear, it is a wedged very tight custom fit from the rear and i intend to use a bit of a silicon bead which can be removed and cleaned up if necessary :wink:

Meganeccdarren
Pass Plus
Currently Drives:: Megane cc

Postby Meganeccdarren » Sun Jul 13, 2014 6:06 pm

I would be very interested in a cardboard template if you would be kind enough. Happy to pay the postage. Please let me know if this is possible

Many thanks

Darren

petepete
Just Passed

Postby petepete » Sun Jul 13, 2014 6:41 pm

Meganeccdarren wrote:I would be very interested in a cardboard template if you would be kind enough. Happy to pay the postage. Please let me know if this is possible

Many thanks

Darren

I posted up the pictures to let people know there is now a cheep cost effective "DIY" alternative :wink:

I might put a few sets on ebay for those who need a simpler instant solution :arrow: but bare in mind these take time to do by hand and if people wish to pay for my labour and take a simpler route so be it :hug

joeishmather
F1 Driver
Currently Drives:: 57 megane with roof, engine, wheels, doors... All the usual things.

Postby joeishmather » Sun Jul 13, 2014 6:58 pm

Are they just wedged in?

petepete
Just Passed

Postby petepete » Sun Jul 13, 2014 7:17 pm

joeishmather wrote:Are they just wedged in?

You will notice the head rest/ hoops or whatever you call then have some give in them and at the moment mine are wedged in from the back and cannot move any further forward and take some serious pressure/ shifting to remove them out the back.... like i said, purely for added security i intend to put a slight bead of removeable silicon on the back only to make sure :!:

you want the truth :arrow: the finished job looks freekin awesome in the flesh and i m well pleased with the "factory look" and am satisfied i cant improve on things despite being a perfectionist :grin

( the beauty of this design is, in the flesh you would have to be looking for a windbreak to notice a fully functional one was actually fitted ! )

Meganeccdarren
Pass Plus

Postby Meganeccdarren » Sun Jul 13, 2014 7:56 pm

petepete wrote:
Meganeccdarren wrote:I would be very interested in a cardboard template if you would be kind enough. Happy to pay the postage. Please let me know if this is possible

Many thanks

Darren

I posted up the pictures to let people know there is now a cheep cost effective "DIY" alternative :wink:

I might put a few sets on ebay for those who need a simpler instant solution :arrow: but bare in mind these take time to do by hand and if people wish to pay for my labour and take a simpler route so be it :hug

So I take it you won't send a template then .?

petepete
Just Passed

Postby petepete » Sun Jul 13, 2014 9:16 pm

Meganeccdarren wrote:
petepete wrote:

Many thanks

Darren

So I take it you won't send a template then .?

I have put up my design/solution and how to for people who value a factory look to make for themselves, and i have said i will put a set on ebay for someone who hasnt the time or inclination to fabricate for themselves :cool:

I view the posting of a template as a pointless exersize as it didnt speed things up or make things easier for myself :arrow: i dont do pointless :banghead :hug

Meganeccdarren
Pass Plus

Postby Meganeccdarren » Sun Jul 13, 2014 9:20 pm

So that's a no then ?
I thought the idea of a forum was to help and share stuff with fellow owners, never mind, I will make my own template

Thanks (not)

Darren

petepete
Just Passed

Postby petepete » Sun Jul 13, 2014 9:47 pm

Meganeccdarren wrote:So that's a no then ?
I thought the idea of a forum was to help and share stuff with fellow owners, never mind, I will make my own template

Thanks (not)

Darren

When you put your toys back in the cot, you will realise i have shown you how to do it and shared my design, even offered to make and sell it to save others the hassle and having a 13 year old son i chose to help him learn by working simple things out for himself :wink:

Darren, you obviously expect too much, and i d suggest you ll be a much more rounded capable individual if you do go ahead and make the template yourself rather than expect to be spoon fed especially now you have confirmed you have no problem in making it yourself.

Thanks for confirming you will be fine making it and my trip to a post office pointless like i said :banghead :hug

No need to appologise for your outburst, just bare in mind i ve owned a cc 3 days and contributed a "factory look" solution to just one problem i have turned my mind to which you now intend to benefit from when you have done thanking me (not)....

Meganeccdarren
Pass Plus

Postby Meganeccdarren » Sun Jul 13, 2014 10:01 pm

I would hate for you to waste your time pete pete

I hope you enjoy your time on the forum and I'm sorry if you feel like this, it's such a shame that you feel you couldn't draw around your plexiglass for me and post off a template

Never mind,
Please don't reply again as I would hate you to be wasting any more time

Have fun.

petepete
Just Passed

Postby petepete » Sun Jul 13, 2014 10:10 pm

Meganeccdarren wrote:I would hate for you to waste your time pete pete

I hope you enjoy your time on the forum and I'm sorry if you feel like this, it's such a shame that you feel you couldn't draw around your plexiglass for me and post off a template

Never mind,
Please don't reply again as I would hate you to be wasting any more time

Have fun.

The question always was, did i make the right decision not to post off a template to you :arrow: even with hindsight the answer remains yes 8)

feel free to have the last word, i will concern myself with helping others now you are sorted disgruntedly ;)

freelanderuk
Rally Driver
Currently Drives:: Megane convertible 1.9dci 2006

Postby freelanderuk » Mon Jul 14, 2014 12:30 pm

Hi Petepete your title of the topic says for £10 or free , i can see no indication of how you would like to sell these or provide a template for free , perhaps you could post a thread in the for sale section :-)
Drive it like you stole it

My flickr

jon72
Passed Theory
Currently Drives:: Renault Megane CC Mk2

Postby jon72 » Mon Jul 14, 2014 3:21 pm

Hi pete,

I've been thinking about this quite awhile. But i'm not a very handyman.
Thats why i don't know how to go about making it myself.
Hope you are kind enough to fabricate a set for me.
Btw is it possible to have it in polycarbonate plastic instead of plexiglass?
Do let me know the price, hear from you soon…Cheers

Return to “Megane CC”